Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Group D - Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Yesterday adamc asked about the handball rule and I think I replied that it had to be deliberate but that there is also a common-sense ruling to apply. Now I think Kewell didn't deliberately move his arm to the ball. However I don't think he made any attempt to not handle the ball. It's not a case of people not understanding, if handballs like that on the line were not given then there would be an awful lot of silliness.

That being said, have seen more blatant ones not given.

Also, I felt Australia responded a lot better to being a man down than last time, especially after the break.
    Oz showed heart but I despair about our next campaign

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Thats fair enough. If you think it looked deliberate then it should be a pen and a red. No question.

I personally thought it could be seen as accidental as the ball was blasted from 6 yards and it inadvertently hit the arm. That is a value judgement and Im fine with the decision either way.

Im not debating the call. If people think he made a move with the arm then it is a pen. My point, and I think others as well, is that just because the ball hit arm and prevented a goal does not automatically mean penalty (something I dont think you disagree with.)
    Yesterday adamc asked about the handball rule and I think I replied that it had to be deliberate but that there is also a common-sense ruling to apply. Now I think Kewell didn't deliberately move his arm to the ball. However I don't think he made any attempt to not handle the ball. It's not a case of people not understanding, if handballs like that on the line were not given then there would be an awful lot of silliness.

Also, I felt Australia responded a lot better to being a man down than last time, especially after the break.
    Seen it several times and it still looks deliberate to me. If you make a move towards the ball with your arm outstretched I'd suggest it's always going to give the semblance of volition.

The view from the side is the best one, Kewell actually raises his arm slightly as the ball moves through the air. Instinct? Possibly, but it's a deliberate movement to my way of thinking.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Yeah agree with this.

If the rules say that was not a penalty then the rule needs changing.

Can sympathise with Kewell over the red card but would have to see it again, not sure if their was any intent.

Australia responded well anyway, massive wasted oportunity for Ghana though.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Fair enough - I don't necessarily think he deliberately handled the ball but I do believe he could have avoided it so I would have still given it

edit, to BB
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah agree with this.

If the rules say that was not a penalty then the rule needs changing.

Can sympathise with Kewell over the red card but would have to see it again, not sure if their was any intent.

Australia responded well anyway, massive wasted oportunity for Ghana though.
    Ghana are not that good and Oz should've beaten them if they'd played half as well as a couple of months ago

Living in Dubai, I've seen virtually all the WC qualifiers from Africa, African Nations Cup, etc

Thye've got good young players but arent world class by any stretch of the imagination

Mind you, they're much better than Algeria

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

Mind you, they're much better than Algeria
    Really? Algeria are higher ranked than Ghana and Algeria topped a group that included the strongest team in Africa to qualify.

I dont rate Algeria but North African football is often severely underrated in comparison to sub-saharan Africa
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Ref was right, IMHO. Badly wrong on the other pen shout tho.
    I refer you to your own point of the cmr-den match:

Didn't even appeal overly, did they?
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Fair enough - I don't necessarily think he deliberately handled the ball but I do believe he could have avoided it so I would have still given it

edit, to BB
    Am intrigued by this train of thought.. Personally think it's a product of the slow motion replay generation.

Watch it at full speed ffs, it's well hammered at him, hardly like a dipsy little shot he parried round the bar ffs.

Explain to me how a bloke in his situation has the time to cosciously make a decision to handle the ball.

I mean, if you imbue in Kewell the ability to make a conscious decision in that time frame, the we should imbue in the ref the ability to see it hit his bicep, and even if his arm was beside him, would still have hit him on the arm. Ah well.

As I said to Sledger mate, put him in a white shirt 24 hours earlier and you'd be busting your balls over it.

Still, we had chances to win, and was a great effort a player down. ****, how great if Ghana did the impossible next game and we won?

Can't see it mind, we need the Krauts to do a number on Ghana and we the same on Serbia.

Am nervous, relying on Germans for anything other than automotive excellence.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    As I said to Sledger mate, put him in a white shirt 24 hours earlier and you'd be busting your balls over it.
    This says nothing regarding the correctness of the decision tbf .
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Explain to me how a bloke in his situation has the time to cosciously make a decision to handle the ball.
    Ha, goalkeepers do it all the time, tbf. Would be a completely redundant position if they didn't.

Ha, goalkeepers do it all the time, tbf. Would be a completely redundant position if they didn't.
    Robert Green doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Forgot to mention - no Craig Moore for Serbia. Thank goodness, what a liability.
    Yeah, a genuine bonus tbh.

Hahaha reading through the fox sports "have your say" article this morning is most amusing (and shameful). Ideas ranging from "The ref is supposed to be able to slow things down so he can see it as we did on replay" to "It's a conspiracy, why else where the refs so fast to red-card our two most important players!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

cpr
    Can see peoples points.

For me though, Kewell has stood there, gone to block the ball, done it with his hand, denied a goal. Be bloody unfair to turn around and say 'sorry Ghana, but I dont think he really meant it'..... Same with the tangle of legs up the other end, no intention there at all, but it was still illegal impediment and (should've been) a penalty

Hypocritical for fans to suggest that an accidental impediment with the feet is a penalty at one end, but an accidental impediment with the arm at the other isn't.

Just a shame that the ref **** out of the first decision.

See Shay Givens greatest saves for a perfect example IMO.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    You are just making rules up, though. Fact is, the ref only had two options.

Fair call if you think the rules should be changed. I'm on the fence regarding that.

Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread Information