"The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber
RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.
Offences that lead to a direct free kick:Red Card - Showing a red card to a player means he/she is expelled from the match. A straight red card (no previous ‘caution’) can be shown for extreme offences such as serious foul play, violent conduct, spitting, deliberate hand-ball to prevent a goal, a professional foul (denying a goalscoring opportunity) and insulting language and/or gestures.
A non-deliberate handball is nothing. You can accidentally play the ball with your hand all you like, anywhere on the pitch. If he knows the ball is going to hit his hand, has ample time to react and does nothing to stop that from happening, it's a deliberate handball and a red card. If he spreads his arms with the intention of blocking the ball, and the ball is subsequently fired at them before he has time to change his mind, that's also a deliberate handball and a red card. If the ball just hits him on the arm before he has time to react, then it's a perfectly legitimate block. The ref has no grey area to work with here- penalty and red, or nothing at all. Them's the rules.Awarded as a result of fouls with evidence intent to harm or reckless/excessive force (e.g. a sliding tackle which takes the player first, shirt-pulling and a deliberate hand-ball).
This **** of a ref well within the Graham Poll and Urs Meier pantheon, or mine.
Another Italian robs us.
Good, the Aussies are falling out amongst themselves, all augurs well for the Ashes, IMHO.
Even more acrimony will ensue when Straussy and the lads are stuffing 'em.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.
Just depends on how you view his intentions.
Last edited by Goughy; 19-06-2010 at 11:01 AM.
If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits
West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma
In all seriousness, the last two games have been a very big advertisement for any other code than soccer in this country.
1) Cahill's send off was ridiculous, especially in light of a couple of the tackles made by Ghana tonight.
2) Refs have far too much power to influence a soccer tournament. Having one player down is huge for a side, regardless of the technicalities of whether or not it should have been a penalty or not. Having your two best players unable to play together in the entire tournament because of red cards is just ridiculous.
3) All of that buildup and action for such a disappointing and ultimately unsatisfying result is painful.
4) There is very little consistency with the rules. Why is a dangerous tackle, studs up from behind deemed worthy of giving a player a warning while a non-intentional hand ball worthy of effectively eliminating a player from one and a half games? The card system offers only two degrees of penalty and they seem drastically out of balance.
5) The players themselves all seem like a bunch of whiney little brats who are softer than butter that's been left out in a Queensland summer.
I think three to four games every four years is just about as much of this sport as I can take.
Ref was right, IMHO. Badly wrong on the other pen shout tho.
Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion
- As featured in The Independent.
"I don't think that they'll come close to us to be honest."
- Steve Smith before the Ashes
I personally thought it could be seen as accidental as the ball was blasted from 6 yards and it inadvertently hit the arm. That is a value judgement and Im fine with the decision either way.
Im not debating the call. If people think he made a move with the arm then it is a pen. My point, and I think others as well, is that just because the ball hit arm and prevented a goal does not automatically mean penalty (something I dont think you disagree with.)
Forgot to mention - no Craig Moore for Serbia. Thank goodness, what a liability.
Do I want to see little Tom play it at 4 - 10?
Yeah, because I know he wont get hurt and it's good for his co-ordination
Game for soft-cock, whinging nancy boys
Like watching it when it's played well but it's a corrupt girlie game IMHO
That being said, have seen more blatant ones not given.
Also, I felt Australia responded a lot better to being a man down than last time, especially after the break.
Originally Posted by Axl Rose
RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)