• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion around Group D involving Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Schedule

13 June 2010

Serbia v Ghana at Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria
Germany v Australia at Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban

18 June 2010

Germany v Serbia at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

19 June 2010

Ghana v Australia at Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Rustenburg

23 June 2010

Ghana v Germany at Soccer City, Johannesburg
Australia v Serbia at Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon we have a much tougher time of it this time around. Our squad isn't as strong without Viduka, and our Kewell, Emerton, Grella and Neill models are 4 years older. You would expect Ghana and Serbia to be tougher prospects than Japan and Croatia were as well. Our real problem will be scoring goals.

For someone who follows Serie A a bit closer, (Craig?) how has Bresciano's form been? We'll need a massive performance from him and Timmeh if we're going to get the goals we need to progress imo.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
For someone who follows Serie A a bit closer, (Craig?) how has Bresciano's form been?
Admittedly he hasn't started for them as much as he'd like. But he has been very, very good when I've watched him, and is my pick for our best player this WC.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit of a miniature Group of Death here, every match a tough one to call. Hoping Australia go through, the other teams are distinctly difficult to like.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see Australia making it out of the group. Think two points would be a pretty big achievement against these sides. Hopping they do make it out of the group, for the good of CW.

morgieb

Far tougher group for us than '06. I hope we do qualify however. We almost made the quarters last year. :p

Julian87

State Captain
Big chance of beating Ghana imo. Just need to play out of our skins to try and get a point in the other games. Can't see us scoring against Serbia.

Simon

Winning 2 games isnt impossible, winning 1 game and a draw is achievable while a draw against someone is probably most likely. We aren't terrible and I can't see us leaving with no points but it's going to be a big ask to qualify.
Does anyone know the status of Mateja Kezman, last I saw he can barely get a game for anyone, would quietly wet myself if he and Lucas Neill were playing in the same game.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Simon, Kezman retired from international football before the last WC I think. If not, just after. He was at PSG then was loaned to Zenit who he played decently for (watched his games online) but they decided not to take the option to buy and he went back to PSG. Last I heard he was either negotiating to have his contract nulled or already had and is a free agent. Apparently there's plenty of lower-half Prem interest in him, would love to see him in the Prem again. I miss Batman :(

If Essien and Appiah are fit we shouldn't even bother turning up against Ghana, they'll destroy Culina and Grella.

Simon

Simon, Kezman retired from international football before the last WC I think. If not, just after. He was at PSG then was loaned to Zenit who he played decently for (watched his games online) but they decided not to take the option to buy and he went back to PSG. Last I heard he was either negotiating to have his contract nulled or already had and is a free agent. Apparently there's plenty of lower-half Prem interest in him, would love to see him in the Prem again. I miss Batman :(

If Essien and Appiah are fit we shouldn't even bother turning up against Ghana, they'll destroy Culina and Grella.
I thought he played at 06, in fact I'm certain he did as I believe he was one of the Serbia players fined for their poor performance. I know he went to Fenerbache and then PSG on loan and then they bought him but I wasn't sure where he went after that as I've noticed he hasn't been playing. So disappointing as he was ridiculous for us in Holland, PSV should bring him back, who knows what a move back to the place he had his greatest moments may do.