• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That's football, putting the boot in. Welcome to the show.

Nah, sorry, comment was uncalled for. Apologies.
No worries. Thing is we know we're average, and we know we're going to get badly thrashed - just thought your comment was unnecessary and glad that you appreciate that.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's football, putting the boot in. Welcome to the show.

Nah, sorry, comment was uncalled for. Apologies.
To be fair, I probably overreacted to it, so I apologise as well.

This football thing can bring out some emotion, can't it? I'm so used to being on the wrong side of drubbings, most matches in the past have just made me go "meh".

Uppercut

I don't think it was altogether unwarranted. We'd just lost a game minutes earlier, with the winning goal coming 18 seconds after the end of added time. I thought it was quite mean-spirited to come along and kick us when we were down.
"Smug European ****" seemed rather OTT, surely. I don't expect New Zealand to do especially badly at the World Cup in any case. Although I'd probably rather they were thrashed than lose the way they did last night...

Burgey

No worries. Thing is we know we're average, and we know we're going to get badly thrashed - just thought your comment was unnecessary and glad that you appreciate that.
Tbh mate, I don't know that you will get thrashed. You'll need some luck as we will, but they seem a disciplined outfit tbh.

And personally, I wish Smeltz (sp?) Was one of ours.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mmm, hasn't been the best for the 'roos, but can't deny that he's playing (and from all reports playing quite well) regularly in one of the better leagues and teams when compared to qutie a number of his teammates. Figure he must be doing something right for Pim to show faith, even though his international appearances have in general been nothing short of rubbish.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Oh Vidosic. :wub: Went down to Melbourne to watch it, and to see him score his first ever International goal... loved it. Heck yes.

Our first half was appalling. Craig Moore was farcical, I'd love to see Beauchamp in his spot. Culina was tops for the whole game. McDonald is just a joke, would not mind if we wasn't even in the squad.

Some big positives anyway, nice to see we can win while playing what was imo pretty bad football for the majority.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Grella really knows how to lay on a stupid tackle. What price on him getting a red sometime in the next month?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
North, Carle & McDonald gone from the squad that's heading over to Holland (now 28). Can't wait to see who gets a run vs. Denmark now, especially given fringe players like Lowry/Garcia/Holland/Galekovic who are still in the squad but haven't yet been given a run. Really don't see how we're going to get past the group stage if Moore is one half of our first-choice centre-back pairing either. He's woefully short on match fitness and no speed in his tiring legs whatsoever, nothing but a liability IMHO.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Really don't see how we're going to get past the group stage if Moore is one half of our first-choice centre-back pairing either. He's woefully short on match fitness and no speed in his tiring legs whatsoever, nothing but a liability IMHO.
Sad but true. Hope he sharpens up tbh, but don't see it happening.

Burgey

A nation held its breath last night as the Watto of football, Harry Kewell, apparently survived a training session in SA yesterday. Well done him.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Thank **** for that.
I dont think Ghana was that big a threat anyway. Serbia was always the major obstacle blocking the Socceroos path to the 2nd round. Given that it was a certainty that Germany was going thourhg in top position in this group.

While Serbia look strong on paper I dont know how they will go in South African conditions. I doubt many of them have played outside of Europe in warmer conditions or at altitude.

Oh, thats right, they have Chelsea and Inter Milan players. We're doomed.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
I know its only a warm up match but New Zealand over Serbia 1-0. WHAT?

By reading some of the "experts" here (and other places) I was expecting the Serbian players, with their humongous bodies and flowing hair and rippling muscles to crush teams like puny New Zealanders with their awesome skill 50-0.

What happened to the Chelsea player? Why didn't he slay the pathetic kiwis with his Chelsea powers?

I'm starting to think this football game is about well disciplined players playing as a team rather than a sport about individual superstars single-handedly destroying the opposition while the non-superstars fill up the numbers.

Football a team game where the better team wins? Thats crazy talk!

We all know what makes a good national team is how many players they have in Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona and star in good Nike commercials.