• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Have Australia in the staff WC sweepstake. There are prizes for (i) most goals conceded in the group stage and (ii) worst disciplinary record in the group stage.

Haven't even seen the incident, but definite penalty and certain red card IMO.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I won't go round in circles and argue the rest so just wanted to take this point up. You're probably right but that's hardly indicative of whether it was right or wrong as I wear my heart on my sleever when cheering my teams on. I honestly wasn't cheering against you lot yesterday, and as soon as I saw the replay I thought the ref had got it 100% right. I was surprised by Kewell's reaction and surprised by the reaction in here tbh.

I will flip it round though, if it happened at the other end would you not feel aggrieved not to get the pen?
Personally mate, I wouldn't complain were it not given, as imho the ball hit him, not vice versa. I'd feel sorry for anyone that happened to. If he stuck his arm out and parried it down, would have no drama tbh.

But as Social said, the bigger blow up is the penalty not given at t'other end, and the chopper on Bres staying on.

Just confounds me tbh. Still, we ha our chances, not denying that. Bloody hell, an ounce of luck and despite our direness vs Der Krauts, we'd be equal top of the group. Readily confess it stings plenty.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, I kinda feel we're cursed at the WC. In 06 there was the Japanese goal where they pushed Schwarzer in order to score; then the 3 cards and rugby tackles against Croatia; then Grosso with Italy. This installment: Cahill sent off very softly and Kewell off now too. Bloody hell...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So, is it a 4 or 430 kick off? Got a feeling the extra half hour sleep, if available, will be very handy.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
This morning is going to be a struggle. Completely worth it though.

Cannot wait. I hope Australia plays with a proper striker up-front, I heard the suggestion last night Holman might play up-front :wacko:

irfan

State Captain
Any body else here supporting Germany ?
Only on the proviso that they smash Ghana. Otherwise they can go and GTFO (except Ozil :wub:)

Folks, what do you reckon our starting XI should be:

Does this sound right?

Kennedy
Cahill
Bresciano Holman Emerton
Valeri
Carney Beauchamp Neill Wilkshire
Schwarzer

Subs to come on (assuming no injuries/cards):
Rukavytsya
Chipperfield
Vidosic

Culina has been utter gash this WC IMO, lost a lot of ball in midfield and lucky not to have been punished (ala Grella vs the US in preWC friendlies). Valeri has been fairly solid and should maintain his spot - he will have a big job on one of Serbia's prime movers (maybe Stankovic)

Beauchamp should replace Moore to combat Zigic's aerial threat. Don't forget it was Zigic's header that led to the Serbian winner against the Germans.

Holman more ideally suited playing the hole behind Kennedy but with Cahill coming back I can see him being pushed back a little and filling in the gaps when Cahill surges forward.

Bresciano looked a little sluggish and slow on the turn against Ghana but without a genuine left winger in sight aside from the suspended Kewell I think he should start there. We need him more for set pieces one feels. Great free-kick (height-wise) that led to our opener v Ghana.

Maybe if we are struggling for goals we can get rid of one of the mids and unleash Ruka to run at the Serbs. Chipperfield should also be used as a reserve striker if need be and not just a replacement for Carney as he was involved in the two biggest chances in the 2nd half versus Ghana.

Wouldn't mind Kennedy playing a more defensive role by taking Vidic, Ivanovic out of the play so the rest of our mids can run at the other Serbian defenders.

Will kick my plasma down if I see Garcia anywhere near the starting XI, isn't that guy meant to be in Oceans XI :ph34r:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I quite like that side mate, but I'll be very surprised if Pim picks it - it looks far too attacking for his tastes. I'd imagine that only 3-4 of that front five you select there will actually start the game, with the others being brought on as subs. Or not, given how baffling some of our substitutions have been in this tournament so far.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Kennedy will start, surely. And Beauchamp better be in the XI aswell. Anddddd, would love some Vidosic minutes, but it probs won't happen.

irfan

State Captain
I quite like that side mate, but I'll be very surprised if Pim picks it - it looks far too attacking for his tastes. I'd imagine that only 3-4 of that front five you select there will actually start the game, with the others being brought on as subs. Or not, given how baffling some of our substitutions have been in this tournament so far.
You're right about Pim's philosophy towards Australian players are but the strange thing is that the team I selected is a 4-5-1 (or a 4-4-1-1) which would be considered as a "defensive" formation for most other countries where the current trend is more of a 4-2-3-1 or your standard 4-4-2.

I really hope Pim goes all guns blazing, I don't care if we get smashed on the counter trying to win the game by a few goals because atleast the intent was there. I hope to god he doesn't employ the offside trap as that's a dangerous approach in a game where we are trying to make up a large goal deficit.