• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha what? This has nothing to do with the game, seriously. This fued has been going on for years. I'm not upset about this loss at all really, except for the Cahill red, because it was expected and predicted.
Throw hands or don't throw hands. Cbf with the pre-bout chat.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Embarrassingly outclassed - didn't expect to win that one but I hoped we might give a better account of ourselves. Our defence is slower than erosion, and to call the attack pedestrian is being kind. It'll be interesting to see our response, if there is one, against Ghana.

Oh, and Super Tim's red was a ****ing disgrace.

Big-ups to Germany - frighteningly good, just fantastic to watch.

Last edited:

social

I have no problems being beaten by a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better team (3/4-1 would've been a fair result) but what is it with refs and Australia at the WC

First goal - blatant offside by at least 1 player (not interfering with play my arse, that's why a couple of players were drawn to the guy who was a couple of metres off side inside the box)

Handball - didnt know that defenders were allowed to catch the ball

Cahill's send off - **** me, now you know why Ozzies dont regard football as a contact sport

Anyway, I hate soccer and am reverting to rugby league - the true test of world domination

andyc

He's been doing it for years and is a complete knob, will continue to abuse him until he grows the **** up.
Smith, if a mod's told you to cut it out, cut it out.

Anywho, very disappointing game. Was hardly expecting a win, but would've at least liked to see the defense put up a ****ing fight. Cahill's card very rough, too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Refereeing was fine really, aside from the horrible red card to Cahill which I doubt anyone would defend. Wasn't a handball or offside.

Anyway, Germany ridiculously better than us, hard to be too upset about things. Simply have to win against Ghana.

stephen

Firstly the positives:
Schwarzer had a fantastic game and was probably the classiest player on the park.

The negatives:
The first half was absolutely attrocious by the socceroos - Germany were deserved winners (seriously though, did anyone doubt that they would win?)
The red card was the most pathetic, soft red card ever to be given out. I won't go so far as to accuse the ref of being paid off by someone from Ghana or Serbia, but I will go down as saying that he is not fit to referee a third grade game for a local New Zealand junior competition.
How you can miss a handball in the goalbox when the player practically grabs the ball and hands it directly to the keeper is completely beyond me.
Finally, that yellow card given in the 87th minute to the German for trying to milk a penalty should have been a red. Honestly, it's that type of play that make Australians hate the sport.

andyc

Firstly the positives:
Schwarzer had a fantastic game and was probably the classiest player on the park.

The negatives:
The first half was absolutely attrocious by the socceroos - Germany were deserved winners (seriously though, did anyone doubt that they would win?)
The red card was the most pathetic, soft red card ever to be given out. I won't go so far as to accuse the ref of being paid off by someone from Ghana or Serbia, but I will go down as saying that he is not fit to referee a third grade game for a local New Zealand junior competition.
How you can miss a handball in the goalbox when the player practically grabs the ball and hands it directly to the keeper is completely beyond me.
Finally, that yellow card given in the 87th minute to the German for trying to milk a penalty should have been a red. Honestly, it's that type of play that make Australians hate the sport.
Schwarzer fantastic? Was decidedly average IMO. Should've done better on both of the first two goals. AWTA about the German dive at the end though, just awful.

Steulen

International Regular
I have no problems being beaten by a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better team (3/4-1 would've been a fair result) but what is it with refs and Australia at the WC

First goal - blatant offside by at least 1 player (not interfering with play my arse, that's why a couple of players were drawn to the guy who was a couple of metres off side inside the box)

Handball - didnt know that defenders were allowed to catch the ball

Cahill's send off - **** me, now you know why Ozzies dont regard football as a contact sport

Anyway, I hate soccer and am reverting to rugby league - the true test of world domination
The offside rule is the offside rule as it is, first goal was rightfully allowed.
Handball penalty would have been given by some referees. I would argue it was non-intentional and therefore rightfully not given.
I also agree with the send-off, it was a tackle from behind with no intention to play the ball and judging from the slo-mo replay on ITV just now it could have resulted in a very serious injury.

So no complaints, Aus were crap and lucky not to lose by a bigger margin.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Schwarzer hardly had a fantastic game. Was almost completely to blame for the second goal and arguably should have done better with the first.