• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - England, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think he'll get dropped. Shocking though his mistake was, you don't generally drop players based off one mistake.

Loving SS in this thread anyway. Think UC has summed it up as well, bit gutted at the result but it's hardly the end of the world. Hardly any teams ever get 9 points and we should be okay to win our next two games. It was better than our opening victory last time out as well - I didn't think we were that bad.
Yeah, for sure - and historically England tend to do better in WCs after a slow start ('66, '90) rather than when they come out of the blocks flying ('82). Looking at some of the players England are being forced to rely on I'm still concerned that when they come up against top class opposition they'll be found badly wanting, but that draw hasn't changed much as far as this group goes. Will be amazed if England don't come out on top.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I suppose there's a chance that the yanks win their next two and it comes down to goal difference but I'm fairly confident. Just hate the waiting now, hate that it's six days between the first two games.

Still Saturday & Friday night aren't bad nights for World Cup openers

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
USA are a decent disciplined side. Nigeria were all over the place. Any team would look better playing Nigeria than USA.

I also happen to think England will improve, all you have to do is for instance not pick that frog in a blender on the left and things look much much brighter. You've also got Rooney who can't play much worse than he did, likewise the goalkeeper will find it hard to make a mistake worse than that. Argentina on the other hand will still have bus sized holes in their defence at any stage in the tournament.
I don't overly disagree with the second paragraph, I do expect England to improve and Argentina have some serious weaknesses at the back. But saying England played better than Argentina in their first match is just a lie. Regardless of the quality of the opposition, their respective abilities to keep the ball and break down a defence were just incomparable. The idea that England were better because anyone would look better against Nigeria than against the USA is no more logical than the idea that Nigeria played better than the USA because anyone would look better against England than Argentina.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While Heskey was OK I don't understand why Capello doesn't put Rooney as forward with Gerrard just behind him. They have a good understanding and both would be playing their strongest positions. Put Joe Cole on the left, Barry/Carrick in the middle and bob's your uncle: the best players in their best positions.
Hahaha.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah yeah, I know what you're laughing at but you're right in another way. Lampard is definitely one of the better players and in that line-up he isn't there so it certainly isn't all of the best players. Still reckon that's the best line-up.

Thinking about it more though, with the width Johnson and A.Cole create on the flanks wingers like Lennon almost become superfluous and a more ball-playing midfielder would be better.

--------------------------Green
--Johnson-----Carra----------Terry--------A.Cole
-----------------------------------Barry
------------------------Carrick
--------Milner------------------------------J.Cole
------------------------------Gerrard
-------------------Rooney

Last edited:

_Ed_

An Algerian player just made an interesting comment - "everyone's talking about us not scoring, but that's not the most important thing."

Um, about that...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't overly disagree with the second paragraph, I do expect England to improve and Argentina have some serious weaknesses at the back. But saying England played better than Argentina in their first match is just a lie. Regardless of the quality of the opposition, their respective abilities to keep the ball and break down a defence were just incomparable. The idea that England were better because anyone would look better against Nigeria than against the USA is no more logical than the idea that Nigeria played better than the USA because anyone would look better against England than Argentina.
Teams would look better against Argentina because they're such a wide open team. England might give you the ball on a plate fairly often but they're a hard working side who don't allow you time on the ball. It's tough to actually play attractive creative football against England, most of the attacking incidents will come from ****-ups which was what happened yesterday.

Being wide open is not necessarily better than being solid, even though it may appear that way.

Uppercut

Don't know if I completely agree, again, that's difficult to quantify because the USA were pretty comfortable on the ball compared to Nigeria. With players like Mascherano and Tevez they pressure the ball more than most, although perhaps not quite so much as Capello's England.

Much better opening performance than England whatever way you look at it. Gave away fewer chances, made more chances, kept the ball better, generally looked much more impressive and, most importantly, actually won the game. I don't think there'll be anyone impartial that disagrees.

Majin

International Debutant
You should be happy, because Heskey was England's best player yesterday....
:cool:
Was stoked for him, though I was properly heartbroken when he gashed up that golden chance in the second half. No idea why I expected him to score in the first place mind, but as soon as he got through I was convinced, already out of my chair with my food set down so I could go mad, but no. He is The Whale after all. Still, loved it. Made up for the otherwise poor performance of England for me.