• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - England, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

shivfan

Banned
Yeah. Although whether you win or lose completely alters your route for the rest of the tournament, and whoever wins the group is also likely to be facing France ahead of Argentina in the quarters. Which can only really be a good thing.

I'm a bit scared to laugh- the last side to win the World Cup drew 1-1 with the USA in the group stages.
A good thing? For Argentina and France, maybe? Unimpressive though France and Argentina were, they looked better than England so far....

Right now, Argentina and France must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of playing an England with Green in goal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Like you thought Johnson & Lennon looked OK down the right we had nothing down the left though, felt a bit SWP as he is all right foot and 1 dimensional at the best of times even Cashley looked off it a bit.

When was the last time we had a decent wide player with a left foot? Seem to have been bemoaning the lack of such a player for the last 20 years. The fact that John Barnes, Nick Barmby & Lee Sharpe are coming to mind as our best efforts is a sad reflection.
Pretty sure Barmby's right-footed, but he did a decentish job wide left for us anyway.

If Barry's fit for Alegria I imagine we'll move Gerrard out to the roving role he was filling semi-competently in the qualifiers.

chalky

International Debutant
A good thing? For Argentina and France, maybe? Unimpressive though France and Argentina were, they looked better than England so far....

Right now, Argentina and France must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of playing an England with Green in goal.
Didn't see the Argie game but France were garbage would fancy our chances strongly against them.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
While Heskey was OK I don't understand why Capello doesn't put Rooney as forward with Gerrard just behind him. They have a good understanding and both would be playing their strongest positions. Put Joe Cole on the left, Barry/Carrick in the middle and bob's your uncle: the best players in their best positions.

A Lampard/Gerrard combo simply doesn't work because while both are excellent passers of the ball, they are not so with regards to bringing the ball out of the defense and kick-starting play. They don't have the intricate passing and movement of a Xavi/Iniesta. This was one of the biggest reasons England didn't dominate more.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While Heskey was OK I don't understand why Capello doesn't put Rooney as forward with Gerrard just behind him. They have a good understanding and both would be playing their strongest positions. Put Joe Cole on the left, Barry/Carrick in the middle and bob's your uncle: the best players in their best positions.

A Lampard/Gerrard combo simply doesn't work because while both are excellent passers of the ball, they are not so with regards to bringing the ball out of the defense and kick-starting play. They don't have the intricate passing and movement of a Xavi/Iniesta. This was one of the biggest reasons England didn't dominate more.
It is a weakness of their game, compared to someone like Alonso or Fabregas, that they don't give their team-mates- particularly their defence- an option to release the ball. Carrick is the only one in the squad who really has that ability actually, and as I've argued with regards to United, that ability alone isn't enough to justify his place in the side.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It is a weakness of their game, compared to someone like Alonso or Fabregas, that they don't give their team-mates- particularly their defence- an option to release the ball. Carrick is the only one in the squad who really has that ability actually, and as I've argued with regards to United, that ability alone isn't enough to justify his place in the side.
I agree but I think in order for England not to get completely owned by the better teams they have to work in Carrick somehow.

As harsh as that sounds, that's why I am in favour of dropping Lampard and playing a Carrick/Barry combo in the middle. Carrick for his passing and Barry to do the dog-work.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
first tie-breaker: goal difference (that's goals scored or, in USA's case, gifted by opposition 'keeper', minus goals conceded)
if still tied, goals scored
if still tied, head-to-head record between tied teams
if still tied, head-to-head goal difference and goals scored
finally drawing of lots.
Not sure if it's the case this time out, but for the last WC it was stipulated that if two sides finished neck and neck on everything and played each other last that there would be a penalty shootout rather than drawing of lots. Obviously it's quite a far-fetched scenario but I imagine it would still be the case.

:laugh: SS wag

Laughable from Green, only question now is do they pick James or Hart for the next match?
I don't think he'll get dropped. Shocking though his mistake was, you don't generally drop players based off one mistake.

Loving SS in this thread anyway. Think UC has summed it up as well, bit gutted at the result but it's hardly the end of the world. Hardly any teams ever get 9 points and we should be okay to win our next two games. It was better than our opening victory last time out as well - I didn't think we were that bad. My bloody head was this morning though. Got bit on the forehead, true story.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

No way England were worse than France.

Nigeria were atrocious bar the goalkeeper so it's hard to say we were worse than Argentina as well.

England did their usual thing of waiting til the second half to play. As I've mentioned earlier the central midfielders just sat right on top of the back four which meant it was all long ball rubbish in the first half. Heskey did well to win most of them but England, particularly Rooney lost it shortly after. I'm still surprised Carragher came on for King. The pairing two such unbelievably slow players is a liability. They had to back-pedal on a regular basis and even still USA players had a few where they just beat them easily and got through on goal, or were blocked off. That just concedes territory and possession too easily because you're backing off all the time. You can't camp teams in their own half with that.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Was waiting for Carragher to rugby tackle Altidore when he got totally skinned by him.

And pleease people, don't think that the stupid tabloid rag that is The Sun is in any way representative of England :(

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
While it isn't representative of England, I've gotta admit to loving some of their headlines during tournaments like this

PhoenixFire

International Coach
While it isn't representative of England, I've gotta admit to loving some of their headlines during tournaments like this
They are so cringe-worthy and embarrasing, but sort of amusing at the same time. Wait until we've actually done something good before bringing out stuff like that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Meh, being a football fan is all about banter, never been a fan of the "wait til you've done something" approach otherwise I'd never be able to sign another Tranmere song.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hahaha you were DEFINITELY worse than Argentina.
USA are a decent disciplined side. Nigeria were all over the place. Any team would look better playing Nigeria than USA.

I also happen to think England will improve, all you have to do is for instance not pick that frog in a blender on the left and things look much much brighter. You've also got Rooney who can't play much worse than he did, likewise the goalkeeper will find it hard to make a mistake worse than that. Argentina on the other hand will still have bus sized holes in their defence at any stage in the tournament.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm still surprised Carragher came on for King. The pairing two such unbelievably slow players is a liability. They had to back-pedal on a regular basis and even still USA players had a few where they just beat them easily and got through on goal, or were blocked off. That just concedes territory and possession too easily because you're backing off all the time. You can't camp teams in their own half with that.
As long as Johnson/Cole dont get caught out so much and force Carra/Terry too far wide they should be fine. They're not fast but will not get beaten down the middle unless an absolute cracker of a ball is played through.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
USA are a decent disciplined side. Nigeria were all over the place. Any team would look better playing Nigeria than USA.

I also happen to think England will improve, all you have to do is for instance not pick that frog in a blender on the left and things look much much brighter. You've also got Rooney who can't play much worse than he did, likewise the goalkeeper will find it hard to make a mistake worse than that. Argentina on the other hand will still have bus sized holes in their defence at any stage in the tournament.
Yeah, I agree with all of this