• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - England, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
England played ok. USA played well. England little chance of winning it when 5-6 of their players on the pitch are not very good footballers. Im not sure we are a very good team when there are such ordinary footballers on the field. Front to back down the flanks we are painful.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh: SS wag

Laughable from Green, only question now is do they pick James or Hart for the next match?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
****ing hate football so much.

What annoyed me most about Green's bollock was the absolute amateurishness of it. As a kid who generally got stuck in goal because I was tall, the first thing that was drummed into me was get your body behind the ball. If Robert had done that the worst that would've happened is the ball bobbles five yards forward & (hopefully) a defender deals with it. Just woeful stuff.

Pothas

James Richardson is so great, Guardian daily world cup thing by far the best coverage going around.

Apart from the world football phone in of course.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
****ing pathetic. Two points chucked away by the whole ****ing lot of them bar Heskey.

Terry and Carragher at the back. My sister on her crutches is faster than them.
Never quite sure how to deal with posts like this. Terry and Carragher may be slow but that has no bearing on the result and little bearing on how to play centre half.

England drew 1-1 because there was nothing from wide and they couldn't create and score and the keeper threw it away.

The centre halves had nothing to do with the score. You are not blaming anything with any relevance on the result. Centre halves are the least to blame on the entire team. How guys like SWP, Johnson, and Lennon play for England is beyond me. Completely lacking in what to do with a football when it is front of them.

Last edited:

Pothas

They are still a huge worry for future matches though, Carragher looked really poor today and they could be horribly exposed against a decent opposition.

Dawson would be a much better option, hope he comes in.

Matteh

Never quite sure how to deal with posts like this. Terry and Carragher may be slow but that has no bearing on the result and little bearing on how to play centre half.

England drew 1-1 because there was nothing from wide and they couldn't create and score and the keeper threw it away.

The centre halves had nothing to do with the score. You are not blaming anything with any relevance on the result.
Bizarre you didn't see Lennon/Johnson repeatedly creating everything England did from the right. From the left, urgh, SWP.

England drew 1-1 because the keeper fouled up. America were never likely to score so it'd have finished 1-0 easily.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bizarre you didn't see Lennon/Johnson repeatedly creating everything England did from the right. From the left, urgh, SWP.
Haha, they were terrible. The final ball was awful. The movement poor and production lacking in craft and guile. Low quality stuff and their shape was not good. They ran around but it was was blow hard stuff that was painful to watch.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
They are still a huge worry for future matches though, Carragher looked really poor today and they could be horribly exposed against a decent opposition.
But why would you walk away from that game with that as your concern? England could barely keep the ball, Rooney couldnt get service, the flanks produced little of quality, and the keeper had a nightmare.

England didnt produce many chances to score and the one they conceeded was a keeper error. I see no logic in trying to divert attention to the Center Halves who are less responsible for that result than all the others on the pitch.

Pothas

England can never keep the ball.

I do not think England were dire by any means but you cannot just ignore things that might cost us in later games, England cannot suddenly become world beaters (we do not have good enough players) but to ingore the fact that our replacement center back got horribly exposed by a guy who scored one goal for Hull last year just because there are other problems seems farly daft to me.

Last edited:

Matteh

Haha, they were terrible. The final ball was awful. The movement poor and production lacking in craft and guile. Low quality stuff and their shape was not good. They ran around but it was was blow hard stuff that was painful to watch.
Final ball wasn't alright, some decent stuff mixed with some dross, but i didn't see either of them just fire it out for a goal kick which usually happens. Johnson danced past a few players and had a decent effort on goal. Lennon reached the by-line and pulled a cracker cross out. Shape was fine, not like they ever got caught out down that side defensively. Only time the USA looked like scoring was either straight down the middle or the England left (where it was cut out pretty much).

Best cross of the evening however was by Heskey of all people but Rooney wasn't in the right position.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Any players to watch out for in the Algeria v Slovenia game?

My knowledge of either nation is at the same percentage of Wayne Rooney winning the Golden Boot.

Matteh

Any players to watch out for in the Algeria v Slovenia game?

My knowledge of either nation is at the same percentage of Wayne Rooney winning the Golden Boot.
Belhadj, Yebda at a push. Bougherra is a **** defender.

I do know a hot Slovenian though, so hoping they win.