Cricket Player Manager
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    No maybe I was too harsh, it's definitely as manly as badminton
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Never a red. Stupid decision.
    It's dangerous play, which is a red card offence under the laws of the game.

Everyone has a raised arm when they head it. You need it to get up and protect your space. Now the rules have softened but that is not a red.
    Sure most players raise their arms, how many players do you see forearm smashing opponents in the face?

Don't think for a second Gourcouff meant it, but it's still dangerous play.
    Last edited by Furball; 22-06-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    ​63*

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Ah, nice explanation that. So in Aussie Rules pain is generally seen as a sign of weakness? Is that a fair interpretation?
    Like that in the vast majority of sport. You gain esteem in the eyes of your teammates, opponents, and fans if you can play through pain and not show you're hurt. It's actually a big problem where players sometimes injure themselves even more because they don't admit to the team doctors that they're hurt. That obviously isn't good either, but it's the reason most of my friends think of soccer as a sport for wimps.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    It's dangerous play, which is a red card offence under the laws of the game.
    Err, no it isnt. Dangerous play is not a red card offense under the laws of the game. In fact dangerous play (as defined by the laws) is about potential for danger rather than contact.

You can be sent off for "Serious foul play" which is when a player uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball but that involves a level of intent that just was not there in that challenge.
    Last edited by Goughy; 22-06-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Pretty much the same here, tbh. Simulation is still seen as a foreign disease. In fact we actually have quite a few English divers (Cashley, Owen & Rooney all known for going to grass rather easily) but can't honestly recall any of them faking an injury as such.

The corollary of the dim view of footballing thesps is that in England the foul is generally viewed as a lesser sin than than the dive or the sneaky handball. In fact one's lumbering centre half booting the oppo's winger into the advertising hordings is a thing of beauty at times.
    There is certainly a cultural difference in England, something which goes way beyond just the issue of diving, as you say a lot of it is hypocritical but yeah I don't think that many English players would go down holding their face like some have in this tournament.

Interestingly in South America showboating and needless tricks when winning a game is seen as a total disgrace, seen as a total lack of respect for the opposition.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Just received my WC daily update emai. Headline.. "Let's all laugh at France.."

So I did.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Yeah. I mean, you'll see the stretcher on the field if someone is in a neck brace or has something broken.

Mind you, people absolutely do go to ground easily to try and draw free kicks, and while it's frowned upon it's part of the game and a number of players are very good at it. But you would never, ever pretend to be hurt when you weren't. More or less what Brumby said about domestic football in England.
    Will always remember Creswell I think it was, sitting in the middle of the MCG trying to slap his dislocated knee back into place so he could play on. Epic.

Or Emmit Smith writhing in pain in the locker room after the game despite playing with a dislocated shoulder - and gaining hard yards leading right with that shoulder into an opponents chest.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Pretty much the same here, tbh. Simulation is still seen as a foreign disease. In fact we actually have quite a few English divers (Cashley, Owen & Rooney all known for going to grass rather easily) but can't honestly recall any of them faking an injury as such.

The corollary of the dim view of footballing thesps is that in England the foul is generally viewed as a lesser sin than than the dive or the sneaky handball. In fact one's lumbering centre half booting the oppo's winger into the advertising hordings is a thing of beauty at times.
    IMO that's the right way to look at it, and it's something I respect greatly. At the very least, I'd much rather have that English outlook than the pansy Italian crap I saw the other day. I can't ever support Italy in any game, against any team, ever.

Raymond Domenech's Refuses to Shake Opposing Coach's Hand -- Soccer FanHouse

Don't know whose at fault in the whole French fiasco but that's just poor from Domenech.

World Cup 2010: Patrice Evra blasts Raymond Domenech as France depart South Africa - Telegraph

Ha Ha Frogs chartered their plane for leaving SA 3 days ago

That's confidence for you

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Yeah. I mean, you'll see the stretcher on the field if someone is in a neck brace or has something broken.

Mind you, people absolutely do go to ground easily to try and draw free kicks, and while it's frowned upon it's part of the game and a number of players are very good at it. But you would never, ever pretend to be hurt when you weren't. More or less what Brumby said about domestic football in England.
    Thought it was hilarious when the stretcher came on in one of the games the other night to carry off a bloke with a bloody nose.

Will retract that comment of course if it turns out he's a hemophiliac.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Err, no it isnt. Dangerous play is not a red card offense under the laws of the game. In fact dangerous play (as defined by the laws) is about potential for danger rather than contact.

You can be sent off for "Serious foul play" which is when a player uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball but that involves a level of intent that just was not there in that challenge.
    It was never a red, unless you want players to just jumping up like salmon for the ball there's always going to be times where arms (which you use to jump, take note FIFA) are going to unintentionally hit other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Like that in the vast majority of sport. You gain esteem in the eyes of your teammates, opponents, and fans if you can play through pain and not show you're hurt. It's actually a big problem where players sometimes injure themselves even more because they don't admit to the team doctors that they're hurt. That obviously isn't good either, but it's the reason most of my friends think of soccer as a sport for wimps.
    Yeah but I bet most of your friends follow a sport where the ****s that play it wear shoulder pads and helmets

Footballers who play through pain do gain respect as well, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    The exact same thing that Fuller describes is present in loads of other English sports. Rugby for example is pretty much the ultimate 'hard guy' (for want of a better word) game, where players will pretty much do anything to avoid showing pain. Same occurs in hockey (despite its rep as a girl's game) as well.
    NZ hockey goalkeeper played the last 5 minutes of the 1976 Olympic final with a shattered kneecap. According to the fount of all knowledge Wikipedia "After taking a few moments to recover from the blow, he did two full squats, which proved to the New Zealand team management that he was ready to resume playing"

And in my own tough-guy story, I broke my hand in a game a couple of years ago and kept playing for another half hour.
    Last edited by Meridio; 23-06-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread Information