• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Never a red. Stupid decision.
It's dangerous play, which is a red card offence under the laws of the game.

Everyone has a raised arm when they head it. You need it to get up and protect your space. Now the rules have softened but that is not a red.
Sure most players raise their arms, how many players do you see forearm smashing opponents in the face?

Don't think for a second Gourcouff meant it, but it's still dangerous play.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ah, nice explanation that. So in Aussie Rules pain is generally seen as a sign of weakness? Is that a fair interpretation?
Like that in the vast majority of sport. You gain esteem in the eyes of your teammates, opponents, and fans if you can play through pain and not show you're hurt. It's actually a big problem where players sometimes injure themselves even more because they don't admit to the team doctors that they're hurt. That obviously isn't good either, but it's the reason most of my friends think of soccer as a sport for wimps.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's dangerous play, which is a red card offence under the laws of the game.
Err, no it isnt. Dangerous play is not a red card offense under the laws of the game. In fact dangerous play (as defined by the laws) is about potential for danger rather than contact.

You can be sent off for "Serious foul play" which is when a player uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball but that involves a level of intent that just was not there in that challenge.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty much the same here, tbh. Simulation is still seen as a foreign disease. In fact we actually have quite a few English divers (Cashley, Owen & Rooney all known for going to grass rather easily) but can't honestly recall any of them faking an injury as such.

The corollary of the dim view of footballing thesps is that in England the foul is generally viewed as a lesser sin than than the dive or the sneaky handball. In fact one's lumbering centre half booting the oppo's winger into the advertising hordings is a thing of beauty at times.
There is certainly a cultural difference in England, something which goes way beyond just the issue of diving, as you say a lot of it is hypocritical but yeah I don't think that many English players would go down holding their face like some have in this tournament.

Interestingly in South America showboating and needless tricks when winning a game is seen as a total disgrace, seen as a total lack of respect for the opposition.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just received my WC daily update emai. Headline.. "Let's all laugh at France.."

So I did.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah. I mean, you'll see the stretcher on the field if someone is in a neck brace or has something broken.

Mind you, people absolutely do go to ground easily to try and draw free kicks, and while it's frowned upon it's part of the game and a number of players are very good at it. But you would never, ever pretend to be hurt when you weren't. More or less what Brumby said about domestic football in England.
Will always remember Creswell I think it was, sitting in the middle of the MCG trying to slap his dislocated knee back into place so he could play on. Epic.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Or Emmit Smith writhing in pain in the locker room after the game despite playing with a dislocated shoulder - and gaining hard yards leading right with that shoulder into an opponents chest.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pretty much the same here, tbh. Simulation is still seen as a foreign disease. In fact we actually have quite a few English divers (Cashley, Owen & Rooney all known for going to grass rather easily) but can't honestly recall any of them faking an injury as such.

The corollary of the dim view of footballing thesps is that in England the foul is generally viewed as a lesser sin than than the dive or the sneaky handball. In fact one's lumbering centre half booting the oppo's winger into the advertising hordings is a thing of beauty at times.
IMO that's the right way to look at it, and it's something I respect greatly. At the very least, I'd much rather have that English outlook than the pansy Italian crap I saw the other day. I can't ever support Italy in any game, against any team, ever.

Son Of Coco

Yeah. I mean, you'll see the stretcher on the field if someone is in a neck brace or has something broken.

Mind you, people absolutely do go to ground easily to try and draw free kicks, and while it's frowned upon it's part of the game and a number of players are very good at it. But you would never, ever pretend to be hurt when you weren't. More or less what Brumby said about domestic football in England.
Thought it was hilarious when the stretcher came on in one of the games the other night to carry off a bloke with a bloody nose.

Will retract that comment of course if it turns out he's a hemophiliac.

Matteh

Err, no it isnt. Dangerous play is not a red card offense under the laws of the game. In fact dangerous play (as defined by the laws) is about potential for danger rather than contact.

You can be sent off for "Serious foul play" which is when a player uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball but that involves a level of intent that just was not there in that challenge.
It was never a red, unless you want players to just jumping up like salmon for the ball there's always going to be times where arms (which you use to jump, take note FIFA) are going to unintentionally hit other people.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Like that in the vast majority of sport. You gain esteem in the eyes of your teammates, opponents, and fans if you can play through pain and not show you're hurt. It's actually a big problem where players sometimes injure themselves even more because they don't admit to the team doctors that they're hurt. That obviously isn't good either, but it's the reason most of my friends think of soccer as a sport for wimps.
Yeah but I bet most of your friends follow a sport where the ****s that play it wear shoulder pads and helmets

Footballers who play through pain do gain respect as well, you know.

Meridio

International Regular
The exact same thing that Fuller describes is present in loads of other English sports. Rugby for example is pretty much the ultimate 'hard guy' (for want of a better word) game, where players will pretty much do anything to avoid showing pain. Same occurs in hockey (despite its rep as a girl's game) as well.
NZ hockey goalkeeper played the last 5 minutes of the 1976 Olympic final with a shattered kneecap. According to the fount of all knowledge Wikipedia "After taking a few moments to recover from the blow, he did two full squats, which proved to the New Zealand team management that he was ready to resume playing"

And in my own tough-guy story, I broke my hand in a game a couple of years ago and kept playing for another half hour.

Last edited:

andyc

NZ hockey goalkeeper played the last 5 minutes of the 1976 Olympic final with a shattered kneecap. According to the fount of all knowledge Wikipedia "After taking a few moments to recover from the blow, he did two full squats, which proved to the New Zealand team management that he was ready to resume playing"
:-O

Holy ****.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It was never a red, unless you want players to just jumping up like salmon for the ball there's always going to be times where arms (which you use to jump, take note FIFA) are going to unintentionally hit other people.
Yeah, we are on the same page. In fact, as the law reads, if people view that as a red then so can be a clash of heads that causes injury. Simple thing, that we agree om, is that that was not a red.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Footballers who play through pain do gain respect as well, you know.
I know it was a long time ago but suprised noone mentioned Bert Trautmann. His reputation and respect with fans who never saw him play is based on him playing with a broken neck.

Trautmann entered football folklore with his performance in the 1956 FA (Football Association) Cup Final. With 17 minutes of the match remaining Trautmann suffered a serious injury after diving at the feet of Birmingham City's Peter Murphy. Despite his injury he continued to play, making crucial saves to preserve his team's 3–1 lead. His neck was noticeably crooked as he collected his winner's medal; three days later an X-ray revealed it to be broken.

PhoenixFire

International Coach

And in my own tough-guy story, I broke my hand in a game a couple of years ago and kept playing for another half hour.
Yeah, I've heard similar stories. I've played on after getting two black eyes and most people often play on after taking all of the skin of their knees, it's the done thing.