• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ireland can feel less victimised now. Henry is apparently allowed to handle without punishment against anyone.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
YOU DONT NEED TO STAY ON THE GROUND FOR 2 MINS IF HE TOUCHES YOUR EAR!

Sure its a free, but get the **** up.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
YOU DONT NEED TO STAY ON THE GROUND FOR 2 MINS IF HE TOUCHES YOUR EAR!

Sure its a free, but get the **** up.
It's funny how in soccer it's just so normalised.

In any other sport you would get absolutely slated as a soft piece of **** by your fellow players, opponents, fans and media if you stayed down, but in soccer the supporters and media seemingly just turn a blind eye to it.

Surely hitting the deck and holding your face as if you're going to cry in front of thousands of people is emasculating and down right embarrassing. Meh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

In any other sport you would get absolutely slated as a soft piece of **** by your fellow players, opponents, fans and media if you stayed down, but in soccer the supporters and media seemingly just turn a blind eye to it.

Surely hitting the deck and holding your face as if you're going to cry in front of thousands of people is emasculating and down right embarrassing. Meh.
The fans are in denial and pretend it's not a problem. It is amazing how accepted it is. Seen it in every game I have watched so far, which is around 10.

Sure the ridiculous dives are made fun of, but the clutching your face or holding your leg then getting up 1 minute later is just a regular day.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The fans are in denial and pretend it's not a problem. It is amazing how accepted it is. Seen it in every game I have watched so far, which is around 10.

Sure the ridiculous dives are made fun of, but the clutching your face or holding your leg then getting up 1 minute later is just a regular day.
Nobody is in denial. If you read what I said in the other thread, then it's that there is no motivation for FIFA to change things because it will never be overtaken as the world's game.

It's also worth noting that these things are much more likely to happen on this stage than domestically. I attend between 30 and 50 games a season and while cheating still occurs it is nowhere near the same frequency as you see in the WC.

See more dangerous tackles though tbf

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

This, to the letter. Can certainly see the positives in it, but can't imagine ever doing it myself simply because it'd be embarrassing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, that's ridiculous

You do realise footballers do actually get their ankles tapped away at all the time and have cause to legitimately go down, hold them? Obviously there are tonnes of excessive incidents but suggesting a player has to have an MRI is ridiculous. Players have to be taken off the pitch to receive treatment as it is, and tbh it's not a ruling that is greeted with worldwide delight, as it often means a team commits a foul then gets a brief one-man advantage.

Was at a match once where our penalty taker got legit chopped down in the box. The physio came on to check on him so the ref ruled he couldn't rejoin the field until play had already commenced...which obviously meant we couldn't take the penalty, and yeah, we missed.

There was a happy ending because a Luton player encroached so the kick was re-taken. The injured player was allowed to take the retake. Point still stands though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No, that's ridiculous

You do realise footballers do actually get their ankles tapped away at all the time and have cause to legitimately go down, hold them? Obviously there are tonnes of excessive incidents but suggesting a player has to have an MRI is ridiculous. Players have to be taken off the pitch to receive treatment as it is, and tbh it's not a ruling that is greeted with worldwide delight, as it often means a team commits a foul then gets a brief one-man advantage.
There'd be a sub on immediately in this case. The fact is, out of 20 that I've seen, maybe two were legitimate 'clutch my ankle for more than a split second' type hits. Frankly if you're rolling around for more than a split second legitimately, you're not going to get up miraculously as soon as the ref makes his decision.

Also, I'd rather have more physical play and less crybabies than the other way around, so if the rules were maybe a little bit easier on the perpetrators, it's a price worth paying I'd think if it gets rid of this crap.