• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A lot of things will have to come together in order for England to win the WC. They have a starting XI as good as any other team but after that it gets embarrassing when you compare with other favourites like Spain or Brazil. Fortunately for England, they're in an easy group and may qualify early being able to rest players, and that can be a huge advantage in such tournaments.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Milner IMO has been the most effective player on the left wing for England in a long time, deserves a spot i think
Certainly most effective since Joe Cole was fully fit, although to be fair Fabio has recognised that without Cole he needed something different, hence Gerrard getting the slightly modified role.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Carrick is our Pirlo/Xavi :laugh:
Difference being that Pirlo and Xavi not only have the ability to run the game, but they also aren't completely anonymous.

IIRC Carrick started against Spain last year, but on 70 minutes I actually realised he was on the pitch he was that out of it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In which competition? Or internationally?
Sydney FC, Newcastle United, Australia and England.

Not a huge fan by any stretch of the imagination but I do check the results of those teams semi-regularly.
Gotta ask: why? One of those teams who don't seem to attract a lot of support from outside the Geordie nation.

A lot of things will have to come together in order for England to win the WC. They have a starting XI as good as any other team but after that it gets embarrassing when you compare with other favourites like Spain or Brazil. Fortunately for England, they're in an easy group and may qualify early being able to rest players, and that can be a huge advantage in such tournaments.
Wow. Think we stop taking bets on today's "No ****, Sherlock" award.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Difference being that Pirlo and Xavi not only have the ability to run the game, but they also aren't completely anonymous.
Yea yea by calling him out Pirlo/Xavi it was a comment in jest. I thought my :laugh: smilie may have given it away..

IIRC Carrick started against Spain last year, but on 70 minutes I actually realised he was on the pitch he was that out of it.
Yea we where never going do dominate Spain trying to out-pass Spain in mid-field. But i do remember Carrick bossing a friendly vs Germany that we won in Munich (although it was not the German's best XI)

But i would still have him in the squad, since lets say Barry gets injured. Carrick is his back-up..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, wow, bossing a Germany B team. Even if that claim wasn't at all tenuous it still wouldn't justify his inclusion in the squad.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea, but no many opposition mid-fielders in Europe can boss the Spanish mid-field trio anyway.

Carrick can definately be of use to ENG, i dont see a reason why you should leave him out especially if you are going pick Milner instead. His position too ATM is likely even safer with Hargreaves unlikely to go, even though i'm still holding out out he could recover in time & make the squad.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yea, but no many opposition mid-fielders in Europe can poss the Spanish mid-field trio anyway.

Carrick can definately be of use to ENG, i dont see a reason why you should leave him out especially if you are going pick Milner instead. His position too ATM is likely even safer with Hargreaves unlikely to go, even though i'm still holding out out he could recover in time & make the squad.
All the more reason to pick the most competent English midfield then, i.e. not Carrick.

You may not see any reason for why he should be left out, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in seeing no reason for him being picked. You constantly refer to how he may be good cover for Barry, but fail to explain why. Also let's not forget that Barry is hardly an outstanding player himself, albeit a great deal better than Carrick. Hargreaves is obviously the best choice in my opinion, but his chances are getting slimmer and slimmer by the day, and I think almost everyone is resigned to the fact that he will not be on the plane to South Africa.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
All the more reason to pick the most competent English midfield then, i.e. not Carrick.
Huh?. I'm not sure what you mean here.

You may not see any reason for why he should be left out, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in seeing no reason for him being picked.
Well i haven't heard one. So far as i said i've seen him being left out, but Milner (a winger) included when presuming all are fit you will already have 4 wingers in Cole/Walcott/Lennon/Becks. Whats the use of having 5 wingers?.

You constantly refer to how he may be good cover for Barry, but fail to explain why. Also let's not forget that Barry is hardly an outstanding player himself, albeit a great deal better than Carrick.
Barry is better defensively than Carrick thats it. Carrick passing game is comparable to Barry (maybe slightly better in some cases). If Carrick learns to tackle well 2moro he will be as good as Barry. But Barry would still be preferable given he is left-footer & thats a nice balance to mid-field alongside Lamps.

So lets say Barry gets injured, Stevie G may have to come & partners Lamps in the middle together, which we all know is failed formula. This is why Carrick is back-up to Barry.

Hargreaves is obviously the best choice in my opinion, but his chances are getting slimmer and slimmer by the day, and I think almost everyone is resigned to the fact that he will not be on the plane to South Africa.
Ye probably ATM. But for reasons aformentioned, Hargreaves likely not going make it, Carrick's position even more safe.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Huh?. I'm not sure what you mean here.

Well i haven't heard one. So far as i said i've seen him being left out, but Milner (a winger) included when presuming all are fit you will already have 4 wingers in Cole/Walcott/Lennon/Becks. Whats the use of having 5 wingers?.

Barry is better defensively than Carrick thats it. Carrick passing game is comparable to Barry (maybe slightly better in some cases). If Carrick learns to tackle well 2moro he will be as good as Barry. But Barry would still be preferable given he is left-footer & thats a nice balance to mid-field alongside Lamps.

So lets say Barry gets injured, Stevie G may have to come & partners Lamps in the middle together, which we all know is failed formula. This is why Carrick is back-up to Barry.

Ye probably ATM. But for reasons aformentioned, Hargreaves likely not going make it, Carrick's position even more safe.
Barry is better than Carrick in every regard. Carrick can pass the ball sideways along the midfield, he adds nothing else to the side. His tackling and passing are not of an international standard, and for a player who should make a claim for his inclusion based on these abilities, this is not acceptable.

If Carrick learns to tackle as well as Gareth Barry in one day? That's an absurd suggestion, if Robert Green suddenly becomes as good as Zidane overnight he should probably be picked to play in midfield as well. Besides, the bottom line is he isn't as good currently so it's not worth dwelling on, irrespective of will he will ever be, something I doubt.

As for Gerrard partnering Lampard in midfield, so be it, it's not ideal, but shunting a substandard player into the team for no other reason than two of the better players in the side are not at their most effective whilst playing along side one another is another weak justification for any sort of inclusion. I'm not a huge fan of Milner playing in the middle either, but on current form he has done everything to suggest he has a better claim to the position than Carrick, and as you seem to be so keen on versatility I'm surprised you'd begrudge him the opportunity.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Worth noting that Capello has played Beckham pretty much exclusively in the midfield general role when he's come on. Reckon he could do the job just as well as Carrick if needs be.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worth noting that Capello has played Beckham pretty much exclusively in the midfield general role when he's come on. Reckon he could do the job just as well as Carrick if needs be.
* better than Carrick

Carrick's been anonymous all season. Definitely form you want to take to the World Cup...
If he actually managed to build on last season, I could see an argument. But there's absolutely no reason for him to be there as things stands. He's taken backward steps. Beckham still a star.

On another note, I'd comfortably take Bent ahead of Cole. I like Carlton Cole a lot, but he's not fit enough or consistent enough. Not sure how much more Bent has to do to prove that he's worthy of an England place.