Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* England Squad Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I don't think I've ever seen Milner have a good game. I hear a lot about him though, and apparently he's having a good season now. Maybe it's just coincidence that he's pure balls every time I watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

cpr
    He's to you what Anderson is to me!!!
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Haha figures. Anderson's the opposite to me!

Gaby Agbonlahor is always excellent when I watch Villa. Is he in with a shout at all?

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Ah, the old England tactic, take one of our most effective and skillful players, put him on the left wing and watch him go gash. Been doing that since Barnes.
    Well yea. But the thing is we have been trying to find a way to get Lamps & Stevie G to work in the same mid-field since Euro 04. Capello finally has found a way & Gerrard TBF has played very well their cutting in from the left. His goal vs Belarus & his 2 goal vs Croatia @ Wembley has been a key facet in ENG ramping home in WC qualifying. So big ups to Fabio there..

Would rather Gerrard played right with Lennon or Theo left, because Gerrard can get some great crosses with his right but doesnt appear in the game on the left, least the other two are dangerous by virtue of pace and dribbling.
    I think on right we need one of Walcott & Lennon speeding down the right starting TBH, another tactic that Fabio has worked out well, which is KEY part of our attack ATM.

Gerrard you could argue his best role could be to partner Barry in the centre - thus Lamps would hit the bench. Thus J Cole would be on the left. But again Fabio has found a way to facilitate both Lamps & Stevie G, so i'm 100% behind the current structure.

In fairness i'd prefer a midfield four with Lampard in the middle, and Gerrard doing whatever the hell he wants just behind Rooney.

The slight problem with this is that well given Rooney is our MAIN weapon going into the WC. You dont want him playing alone up front warring out with defenders, since if one of them gives him a rough tackle & he is injured so many go our WC hopes.

This is why is think Heskey is BIG player, it allows Rooney to roam free which is much safer. Another feather in Capello's cap here for working out that tactic..

Milner IMO has been the most effective player on the left wing for England in a long time, deserves a spot i think.
    Thats because J Cole has been out for a while TBH.

Well IIRC, Miler only played out left vs Brazil in the friendly the other day?. I'd like to pick him as well, have been really impressed with his versatiliy that he's been playing in centre for Villa of late. But as i said if all are fit, i think he unfortuantely may have to be left out.

Because with Barry, who's a gimmie tbh, it'll be three defensive midfielders, so unless a defender is sacrificed (letting Hargreaves cover RB) its too much DM cover than we need.
    3 defensive mid-fielders?. If Hargreaves aint fit we wont have a DM TBF. Barry although he is good tackler he is more of deep midfielder, while Carrick is our Pirlo/Xavi

Personally think Hargreaves has missed the boat, still no sign of first team at utd, let alone playing himself back to form and fitness, and the seasons over in 4 months
    Yea at the back of my mind i feel he may miss out. But thats why i'd say that makes Carrick position even more safe..
    Last edited by aussie; 11-01-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Problem is, for all the hype, Laarson did the square root of **** all for us, mebbie 2 good games at the start, but looked out of it most of the time.

Thing is with Owen, he probably is still the best natural striker in England, but he doesn't look sharp, and when he is getting the game time he's not excelling enough... However Berbatov's injury might be the chance he needs. He needs to snatch it to prove he can do what we know he can. If he can put in a good run, i'd put him in ahead of Bent.

Rooney - all round striker who can produce the brilliance
    Crouch - Height, control, good knack for goals at international level
    Defoe - Speed and great finisher (slowly showing this at the top as well)
    Owen - Predator who can turn a game by not letting a tired defence turn off
    Walcott - Run the legs off a tired defence

Those 5 would offer a vast variety depending on who we play. Need Owen to step up over the next 6 weeks IMO to show he's good enough to go.
    Word i can live with this position. But i certainly believe Owen will do something big in big CL match or end of season game though..

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut
    Haha figures. Anderson's the opposite to me!

Gaby Agbonlahor is always excellent when I watch Villa. Is he in with a shout at all?
    If all are fit he shoudn't make it. If someone is is injured he may get a chance though. But overall i think this WC has come a bit too soon for him, but hopefully come EURO 2012 qualifiers he begins to step up, since he is a big part of the strike force for the future..
    Last edited by aussie; 11-01-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Haha, Aussie.
    My thoughts exactly.

Seriously though he gets worse every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Seriously though he gets worse every day.
    Haa. well once i continue to irritate you sir my work on CW will be complete

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen Milner have a good game. I hear a lot about him though, and apparently he's having a good season now. Maybe it's just coincidence that he's pure balls every time I watch.
    Inzamam syndrome.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Inzamam syndrome.
    Agreed.

PEWS, what football/soccer team do you go for?

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Agreed.

PEWS, what football/soccer team do you go for?
    In which competition? Or internationally?
    Sydney FC, Newcastle United, Australia and England.

Not a huge fan by any stretch of the imagination but I do check the results of those teams semi-regularly.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    A lot of things will have to come together in order for England to win the WC. They have a starting XI as good as any other team but after that it gets embarrassing when you compare with other favourites like Spain or Brazil. Fortunately for England, they're in an easy group and may qualify early being able to rest players, and that can be a huge advantage in such tournaments.
    ★★★★★

Read this article the other day, definitely belongs in here.
    ďAnd God came down from the heavens, and he said unto the chicken, "Thou shalt cross the road."And the chicken crossed the road. And the people rejoiced, all across the land.

Australia's Only FairDinkum News Site - www.xenoxnews.com
    -------------------------------------------------

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Milner IMO has been the most effective player on the left wing for England in a long time, deserves a spot i think
    Certainly most effective since Joe Cole was fully fit, although to be fair Fabio has recognised that without Cole he needed something different, hence Gerrard getting the slightly modified role.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Carrick is our Pirlo/Xavi
    Difference being that Pirlo and Xavi not only have the ability to run the game, but they also aren't completely anonymous.

IIRC Carrick started against Spain last year, but on 70 minutes I actually realised he was on the pitch he was that out of it.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Pirlo and Xavi can actually pass the ball forwards as well, impressive.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information