• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose I don't think that either Bobby dominated that WC like Maradonna in 1986 or Zidane in 1998. Fine players, of course, and arguably more legitimately great than Rooney simply due to longevity and having actually won the WC. Thinking about it, perhaps I'm being unfair to Moore.
I actually reckon that Zidane "dominating" the '98 World Cup is something of a myth. He was excellent, and those two goals in the final of course assured him of immortality, but remember he was sent off in an early match and I'd argue that France's phenomenal defence in that tournament was at least as important, if not moreso, than ZZ's efforts. Thuram was my player of the tournament, FWIW.

I don't seen any reason that Rooney won't be considered in the same league as Charlton and Moore by the end of his career, given his achievements by the age of 24. A World Cup win may well put him above them both.

I was watching that Italy/Brazil match on ESPN the other night, still a travesty, you actually feel Brazil have got to get the equaliser, even now.
Ha ha yep, was thinking the exact same thing as I watched it. Actually found myself willing Brazil to score and getting quite stressed about it, despite knowing full well the goal was never coming.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ha ha yep, was thinking the exact same thing as I watched it. Actually found myself willing Brazil to score and getting quite stressed about it, despite knowing full well the goal was never coming.

Yeah, but the horrible thing was the time-wasting by the Italians, the amount of time they wringed out over injuries (pah) and all free-kicks, and goal-kicks. People may moan about injury-time nowadays and silly bookings, but honestly the game has changed for the better. Nowadays most of the Italians would of been sent off, or there would of been about 12 minutes added on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I actually reckon that Zidane "dominating" the '98 World Cup is something of a myth. He was excellent, and those two goals in the final of course assured him of immortality, but remember he was sent off in an early match and I'd argue that France's phenomenal defence in that tournament was at least as important, if not moreso, than ZZ's efforts. Thuram was my player of the tournament, FWIW.

I don't seen any reason that Rooney won't be considered in the same league as Charlton and Moore by the end of his career, given his achievements by the age of 24. A World Cup win may well put him above them both.

Zidane 2006 >>>>> Zidane 1998.

In the modern era, Baggio in 1994 is the best individual performance at a World Cup.

Pothas

Hope Messi can do something similar (although without the unfortunate penalty at the end of it and with a less stupid hair cut) this tournament.

Some encouraging signs today even if he was not quite there, don't think most sides will give him as much space as he go today though.

grecian

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, that '98 squad doesn't look that great to me. Yet this England side has massive form worries (Terry, Gerard, Rooney), injury-plagued players, missing personnel, and a lot of unproven/or proven****e which means there's massive gaps in our side at centre-back, right-back, gk, and one decent striker. If Rob Green or David James start, we'll be 1-0 down effectively right away, that 98 side at least had decent starters in every position except one. Which did cause us problems then, with one weak spot, we've now got about 5.

Hope to be proven wrong, of course:)
quoting myself, sad i know.....

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Dad was telling me about how some woman rang up 5Live and said that she'd done some research and found that Green makes a mistake every game from West Ham and makes a significant amount more than any other keepers that are in the reckoning. Can anyone confirm this?

grecian

Dad was telling me about how some woman rang up 5Live and said that she'd done some research and found that Green makes a mistake every game from West Ham and makes a significant amount more than any other keepers that are in the reckoning. Can anyone confirm this?
Can't confirm it, but I like to watch the Irons, and he makes a lot of mistakes IMHO, mixed up with genius saves.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's a bit of a Brendon McCullum- drops some hilarious clangers but also pulls off some saves no other keeper would make. Unlike McCullum he hasn't yet got the balance between the two quite right.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Yeah he missed two games suspended as well IIRC as they added an extra game on to the ban because it was for stamping...I think.