• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can definitely see Owen going if he comes off the bench and scores in two or three big games for United. It's the exact quality you're looking for in your backup strikers. The other options are players like Defoe and Bent- better players, but they're more players you want if someone breaks down than players you want on the bench (besides, they don't have many runs on the board in an England shirt).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't see Owen going. Hasn't got the legs anymore and 5 strikers is a luxuary in a 23-man squad, especially when we have Gerrard and (probably) Walcott who can play as auxiliary strikers too.

cpr

International Coach
Problem is Owen's rarely looked like coming on and making the impact. Fluffed his lines far more than he's hit the notes as late. In my mind he needed a much better start to the season to get himself in the picture. I like him, and i'm glad we signed him, but he shouldn't be in the England squad.

Think not taking Milner would be criminal, offers cover on the left flank (somewhere I think Joe Cole is wasted). Can only be one of Carrick or Hargreaves IMO, wish it'd be the latter, but time fast running out, in fact probably has. King effectively means were 1 player down for 2/3 matches considering the short timescale of the comp

My Squad

Hart
Green
James/Foster (whichever is making less clangers)

Johnson
A Cole
Terry
Ferdinand (if he can stop doing a King impression)
Baines (am a fan)
Brown (lack of other options)
Upson (see above)

Lampard
Gerrard
Milner
Young
J Cole
Lennon
Barry
Beckham
Carrick/Hargreaves

Rooney
Defoe
Crouch
C Cole/Bent
Walcott

Cant see who to drop out of those 24. Possible risk of taking just 2 keepers? (not often a team is required to use all 3.... Think Turkey did in the Euro Champs not too long ago mind)

Feel 5 strikers is a must (using Walcott as 5th striker if needed), 4 means 1 injury and the options are far too limited, however probably fight between Walcott and Lennon to stay in, and i'd prefer the latter.

Just dont like Heskey as an England player, and think people use stats to flatter him, its rare he's involved in England goals bar scuffed shots and rebounds of his head. Feel Crouch could be just as effective at it, however England dont play the same style with Crouch in as they know he can use his feet

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see how I can have double-standards when I've not argued anything like that re. Ronaldo before, but even so, Owen scores one (one!) hattrick against a Bundesliga defence, in a game that Wolfsburg had to throw players forward and which Owen capitalised on. Otherwise he's hardly looked threatening and has been sparsely used, behind possibly the most ungratefully talented striker that has ever existed. Says it all really.
You didn't say it. But before Owen went to United thats was the general argument againts him while he was Newcastle before SAF brought him to OT.

Really cant see how you can say he has not been threatening. Yea i'm disappointed he hasn't played/started more often. But was he really bought to be regular starter?. Berbatov/Wazza was always going to be the regular starters, i always saw Owen role to be one as similar to when SAF bought Laarson - which was as a impact sub in big games, while starting againts the weaker teams.

He's hardly going to be the impact sub you want anyway - nondescript striker with no pace, size or weight.
Who came on & scored that late goal in the 4-3 win againts Man City again??. Thats the kind of situations & circumstances where Owen is/can be effective in the WC.

Yes, he still has the poacher's instinct in the box, but it's only highlighted because he's Michael Owen, and he has history. Lots was made about the tap-in in the Champions League, but any decent striker should have been alert enough to take up that position. Beckham has a left foot and will use it when he has too, although obviously playing wide on the right, having one of the best right feet of all time means he rarely has to use his left. Owen has absolutely no left foot - I've actually spoken to his high school coach (sorry to namedrop, know his son), who said from a very early stage you could see it would be his biggest shortcoming. And once you become aware of it, it's so, so noticeable in games. The fact that he has no pace anymore, makes it even more obvious and a greater hinderance.
Defoe doesn't have a left foot either & he is must pick ATM & is hardly as proven as Owen againts international quality defenses. I seriously think you are overexaggerating how slow Owen has become. You make it sound as if he is at snails pace ATM..

His game isn't about strength - agreed - so what it is about then? He is a lightweight too, that's not his fault, but it's not an attribute without pace.
Haa you make it sound by suggesting Owne is "lightweight" that a defender would barge him off the ball. He is definately much stronger than Walcott for example. Ok yea Owen doesn't have Theo's pace to avoid being tackled etc, but as we both agree his strenght is is poacher instinct in the box.

That poacher instict is much better than a Defoe who may have the pace, but whose finishing is still questionable at international level.

We all saw what a great European Championships Klose had last year as well... but even if he is 'inferior skill wise', I think I'd know who I'd take between the two right now. Owen's game has relied on pace for so long; Klose at least has a bit more presence. If people take '98 and Munich out of the equation and remember Owen has done nothing for several years now, they'd only draw one conclusion.
Klose has presence? Thats news to me. Clearly you are criminally underating Owen if you would prefer Klose to him right now. Come on mann

How has Owen not done anything for years, i see you have forgotten how he 2 goals vs Russia @ Wembley in the Euro 08 qualifier.

Owen pace when he scored those two goals vs Russia is no different to what it is now AFAIC. Back then he was at Newcastle and many poeple where saying he is DONE, but SAF thought otherwise & bought him.

Owen has to go to the WC..

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Think not taking Milner would be criminal, offers cover on the left flank (somewhere I think Joe Cole is wasted).
Well given that Stevie G is playing on the left & one of Walcott/Lennon is likely be on right. I'd say J Cole is back-up left-wing, while both Theo/Lennon can play their too.

Milner can only go if their is an injury to one of Cole/Becks/Theo/Lennon.

Can only be one of Carrick or Hargreaves IMO, wish it'd be the latter, but time fast running out, in fact probably has
Have heard alot of people saying this, but i really dont see why it has to be Carrick or Hargreaves TBH.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Can't see Owen going. Hasn't got the legs anymore and 5 strikers is a luxuary in a 23-man squad, especially when we have Gerrard and (probably) Walcott who can play as auxiliary strikers too.
It is interesting that Beckham has been playing a 4-3-3 formationa at Milan with Marco Borriello, and Ronaldinho.

Milan: Dida; Abate, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Antonini; Gattuso (Flamini 65), Pirlo, Ambrosini; Beckham, Borriello (Huntelaar 85), Ronaldinho

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It is interesting that Beckham has been playing a 4-3-3 formationa at Milan with Marco Borriello, and Ronaldinho.

Milan: Dida; Abate, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Antonini; Gattuso (Flamini 65), Pirlo, Ambrosini; Beckham, Borriello (Huntelaar 85), Ronaldinho
Yea but last season he was playing in mid-field though. I reckon when Pato & Seedorf returns he will go back in the centre (RCM to be exact).

cpr

International Coach
Well given that Stevie G is playing on the left & one of Walcott/Lennon is likely be on right. I'd say J Cole is back-up left-wing, while both Theo/Lennon can play their too.

Milner can only go if their is an injury to one of Cole/Becks/Theo/Lennon.
Ah, the old England tactic, take one of our most effective and skillful players, put him on the left wing and watch him go gash. Been doing that since Barnes. Would rather Gerrard played right with Lennon or Theo left, because Gerrard can get some great crosses with his right but doesnt appear in the game on the left, least the other two are dangerous by virtue of pace and dribbling.

In fairness i'd prefer a midfield four with Lampard in the middle, and Gerrard doing whatever the hell he wants just behind Rooney.

Milner IMO has been the most effective player on the left wing for England in a long time, deserves a spot i think

Have heard alot of people saying this, but i really dont see why it has to be Carrick of Hargreaves TBH.
Because with Barry, who's a gimmie tbh, it'll be three defensive midfielders, so unless a defender is sacrificed (letting Hargreaves cover RB) its too much DM cover than we need. Personally think Hargreaves has missed the boat, still no sign of first team at utd, let alone playing himself back to form and fitness, and the seasons over in 4 months

cpr

International Coach
You didn't say it. But before Owen went to United thats was the general argument againts him while he was Newcastle before SAF brought him to OT.

Really cant see how you can say he has not been threatening. Yea i'm disappointed he hasn't played/started more often. But was he really bought to be regular starter?. Berbatov/Wazza was always going to be the regular starters, i always saw Owen role to be one as similar to when SAF bought Laarson - which was as a impact sub in big games, while starting againts the weaker teams.

Problem is, for all the hype, Laarson did the square root of **** all for us, mebbie 2 good games at the start, but looked out of it most of the time.

Thing is with Owen, he probably is still the best natural striker in England, but he doesn't look sharp, and when he is getting the game time he's not excelling enough... However Berbatov's injury might be the chance he needs. He needs to snatch it to prove he can do what we know he can. If he can put in a good run, i'd put him in ahead of Bent.

Rooney - all round striker who can produce the brilliance
Crouch - Height, control, good knack for goals at international level
Defoe - Speed and great finisher (slowly showing this at the top as well)
Owen - Predator who can turn a game by not letting a tired defence turn off
Walcott - Run the legs off a tired defence

Those 5 would offer a vast variety depending on who we play. Need Owen to step up over the next 6 weeks IMO to show he's good enough to go.

Uppercut

I don't think I've ever seen Milner have a good game. I hear a lot about him though, and apparently he's having a good season now. Maybe it's just coincidence that he's pure balls every time I watch.

Uppercut

Haha figures. Anderson's the opposite to me!

Gaby Agbonlahor is always excellent when I watch Villa. Is he in with a shout at all?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, the old England tactic, take one of our most effective and skillful players, put him on the left wing and watch him go gash. Been doing that since Barnes.
Well yea. But the thing is we have been trying to find a way to get Lamps & Stevie G to work in the same mid-field since Euro 04. Capello finally has found a way & Gerrard TBF has played very well their cutting in from the left. His goal vs Belarus & his 2 goal vs Croatia @ Wembley has been a key facet in ENG ramping home in WC qualifying. So big ups to Fabio there..

Would rather Gerrard played right with Lennon or Theo left, because Gerrard can get some great crosses with his right but doesnt appear in the game on the left, least the other two are dangerous by virtue of pace and dribbling.
I think on right we need one of Walcott & Lennon speeding down the right starting TBH, another tactic that Fabio has worked out well, which is KEY part of our attack ATM.

Gerrard you could argue his best role could be to partner Barry in the centre - thus Lamps would hit the bench. Thus J Cole would be on the left. But again Fabio has found a way to facilitate both Lamps & Stevie G, so i'm 100% behind the current structure.

In fairness i'd prefer a midfield four with Lampard in the middle, and Gerrard doing whatever the hell he wants just behind Rooney.

The slight problem with this is that well given Rooney is our MAIN weapon going into the WC. You dont want him playing alone up front warring out with defenders, since if one of them gives him a rough tackle & he is injured so many go our WC hopes.

This is why is think Heskey is BIG player, it allows Rooney to roam free which is much safer. Another feather in Capello's cap here for working out that tactic..

Milner IMO has been the most effective player on the left wing for England in a long time, deserves a spot i think.
Thats because J Cole has been out for a while TBH.

Well IIRC, Miler only played out left vs Brazil in the friendly the other day?. I'd like to pick him as well, have been really impressed with his versatiliy that he's been playing in centre for Villa of late. But as i said if all are fit, i think he unfortuantely may have to be left out.

Because with Barry, who's a gimmie tbh, it'll be three defensive midfielders, so unless a defender is sacrificed (letting Hargreaves cover RB) its too much DM cover than we need.
3 defensive mid-fielders?. If Hargreaves aint fit we wont have a DM TBF. Barry although he is good tackler he is more of deep midfielder, while Carrick is our Pirlo/Xavi :laugh:

Personally think Hargreaves has missed the boat, still no sign of first team at utd, let alone playing himself back to form and fitness, and the seasons over in 4 months
Yea at the back of my mind i feel he may miss out. But thats why i'd say that makes Carrick position even more safe..

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Problem is, for all the hype, Laarson did the square root of **** all for us, mebbie 2 good games at the start, but looked out of it most of the time.

Thing is with Owen, he probably is still the best natural striker in England, but he doesn't look sharp, and when he is getting the game time he's not excelling enough... However Berbatov's injury might be the chance he needs. He needs to snatch it to prove he can do what we know he can. If he can put in a good run, i'd put him in ahead of Bent.

Rooney - all round striker who can produce the brilliance
Crouch - Height, control, good knack for goals at international level
Defoe - Speed and great finisher (slowly showing this at the top as well)
Owen - Predator who can turn a game by not letting a tired defence turn off
Walcott - Run the legs off a tired defence

Those 5 would offer a vast variety depending on who we play. Need Owen to step up over the next 6 weeks IMO to show he's good enough to go.
Word i can live with this position. But i certainly believe Owen will do something big in big CL match or end of season game though..

Uppercut said:
Haha figures. Anderson's the opposite to me!

Gaby Agbonlahor is always excellent when I watch Villa. Is he in with a shout at all?
If all are fit he shoudn't make it. If someone is is injured he may get a chance though. But overall i think this WC has come a bit too soon for him, but hopefully come EURO 2012 qualifiers he begins to step up, since he is a big part of the strike force for the future..

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agreed.

PEWS, what football/soccer team do you go for?
In which competition? Or internationally?
Sydney FC, Newcastle United, Australia and England.

Not a huge fan by any stretch of the imagination but I do check the results of those teams semi-regularly.