Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* England Squad Thread

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah, when I discussed this with a couple of mates, we came to the conclusion that if we get a good run injury-wise, we might do well. A couple of injuries, say goodnight. Bit like Liverpool last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Which explains why most squads will look similar.

However any squad that includes the likes of King and Owen are so off the mark as to be not funny.

As for Milner not being there but Carrick being there, well that's pure fantasy.

And Gibbs & Baines > Warnock? WTF?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Which explains why most squads will look similar.

However any squad that includes the likes of King and Owen are so off the mark as to be not funny.
    Haa if Owen being picked is a joke. I dont know what to call you having Warnock over Bridge.

Capello & Redknapp clearly has King in their thoughts thoughts & the reasons i gave for possibly picking King they themselves have given. So no their is nothing funny about considering King as an option for the WC.

As for Milner not being there but Carrick being there, well that's pure fantasy.
    Whats the sense picking Milner when we both have included 4 wingers in Becks/J Cole/Walcott/Lennon.?? Why do you want 5 wingers.

Okay Milner has been playing in centre for Villa alot of late since Downing has returned but he isn't a better CM option than Carrick. Carrick is back-up to Barry & given we cant be certain about Hargreaves, it makes Carrick's spot even more safe.

And Gibbs & Baines > Warnock? WTF?
    Warnock is not international quality i dont know what you have been watching. Gibbs is the future & clearly is better than Warnock. Baines also is better than Warnock & is much more likely to be international quality than Warnock based on what i've seen of them.

Warnock is about as good as Nick Shorey. The real WTF & joke here is you picking Warnock as back-up LB instead of Bridge.
    Last edited by aussie; 11-01-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Not enough Villa love in Aussie's team.

Also, LOL at Paul Robinson getting a spot: neighbours character > english goalkeeper.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Haha, Aussie.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Also, LOL at Paul Robinson getting a spot: neighbours character > english goalkeeper.
    As long as no one puts any crosses in, Robbo should be fine.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Can definitely see Owen going if he comes off the bench and scores in two or three big games for United. It's the exact quality you're looking for in your backup strikers. The other options are players like Defoe and Bent- better players, but they're more players you want if someone breaks down than players you want on the bench (besides, they don't have many runs on the board in an England shirt).
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Can't see Owen going. Hasn't got the legs anymore and 5 strikers is a luxuary in a 23-man squad, especially when we have Gerrard and (probably) Walcott who can play as auxiliary strikers too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

cpr
    Problem is Owen's rarely looked like coming on and making the impact. Fluffed his lines far more than he's hit the notes as late. In my mind he needed a much better start to the season to get himself in the picture. I like him, and i'm glad we signed him, but he shouldn't be in the England squad.

Think not taking Milner would be criminal, offers cover on the left flank (somewhere I think Joe Cole is wasted). Can only be one of Carrick or Hargreaves IMO, wish it'd be the latter, but time fast running out, in fact probably has. King effectively means were 1 player down for 2/3 matches considering the short timescale of the comp

My Squad

Hart
    Green
    James/Foster (whichever is making less clangers)

Johnson
    A Cole
    Terry
    Ferdinand (if he can stop doing a King impression)
    Baines (am a fan)
    Brown (lack of other options)
    Upson (see above)

Lampard
    Gerrard
    Milner
    Young
    J Cole
    Lennon
    Barry
    Beckham
    Carrick/Hargreaves

Rooney
    Defoe
    Crouch
    C Cole/Bent
    Walcott

Cant see who to drop out of those 24. Possible risk of taking just 2 keepers? (not often a team is required to use all 3.... Think Turkey did in the Euro Champs not too long ago mind)

Feel 5 strikers is a must (using Walcott as 5th striker if needed), 4 means 1 injury and the options are far too limited, however probably fight between Walcott and Lennon to stay in, and i'd prefer the latter.

Just dont like Heskey as an England player, and think people use stats to flatter him, its rare he's involved in England goals bar scuffed shots and rebounds of his head. Feel Crouch could be just as effective at it, however England dont play the same style with Crouch in as they know he can use his feet
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    Can't see how I can have double-standards when I've not argued anything like that re. Ronaldo before, but even so, Owen scores one (one!) hattrick against a Bundesliga defence, in a game that Wolfsburg had to throw players forward and which Owen capitalised on. Otherwise he's hardly looked threatening and has been sparsely used, behind possibly the most ungratefully talented striker that has ever existed. Says it all really.
    You didn't say it. But before Owen went to United thats was the general argument againts him while he was Newcastle before SAF brought him to OT.

Really cant see how you can say he has not been threatening. Yea i'm disappointed he hasn't played/started more often. But was he really bought to be regular starter?. Berbatov/Wazza was always going to be the regular starters, i always saw Owen role to be one as similar to when SAF bought Laarson - which was as a impact sub in big games, while starting againts the weaker teams.

He's hardly going to be the impact sub you want anyway - nondescript striker with no pace, size or weight.
    Who came on & scored that late goal in the 4-3 win againts Man City again??. Thats the kind of situations & circumstances where Owen is/can be effective in the WC.

Yes, he still has the poacher's instinct in the box, but it's only highlighted because he's Michael Owen, and he has history. Lots was made about the tap-in in the Champions League, but any decent striker should have been alert enough to take up that position. Beckham has a left foot and will use it when he has too, although obviously playing wide on the right, having one of the best right feet of all time means he rarely has to use his left. Owen has absolutely no left foot - I've actually spoken to his high school coach (sorry to namedrop, know his son), who said from a very early stage you could see it would be his biggest shortcoming. And once you become aware of it, it's so, so noticeable in games. The fact that he has no pace anymore, makes it even more obvious and a greater hinderance.
    Defoe doesn't have a left foot either & he is must pick ATM & is hardly as proven as Owen againts international quality defenses. I seriously think you are overexaggerating how slow Owen has become. You make it sound as if he is at snails pace ATM..

His game isn't about strength - agreed - so what it is about then? He is a lightweight too, that's not his fault, but it's not an attribute without pace.
    Haa you make it sound by suggesting Owne is "lightweight" that a defender would barge him off the ball. He is definately much stronger than Walcott for example. Ok yea Owen doesn't have Theo's pace to avoid being tackled etc, but as we both agree his strenght is is poacher instinct in the box.

That poacher instict is much better than a Defoe who may have the pace, but whose finishing is still questionable at international level.

We all saw what a great European Championships Klose had last year as well... but even if he is 'inferior skill wise', I think I'd know who I'd take between the two right now. Owen's game has relied on pace for so long; Klose at least has a bit more presence. If people take '98 and Munich out of the equation and remember Owen has done nothing for several years now, they'd only draw one conclusion.
    Klose has presence? Thats news to me. Clearly you are criminally underating Owen if you would prefer Klose to him right now. Come on mann

How has Owen not done anything for years, i see you have forgotten how he 2 goals vs Russia @ Wembley in the Euro 08 qualifier.

Owen pace when he scored those two goals vs Russia is no different to what it is now AFAIC. Back then he was at Newcastle and many poeple where saying he is DONE, but SAF thought otherwise & bought him.

Owen has to go to the WC..
    Last edited by aussie; 11-01-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Think not taking Milner would be criminal, offers cover on the left flank (somewhere I think Joe Cole is wasted).
    Well given that Stevie G is playing on the left & one of Walcott/Lennon is likely be on right. I'd say J Cole is back-up left-wing, while both Theo/Lennon can play their too.

Milner can only go if their is an injury to one of Cole/Becks/Theo/Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Can only be one of Carrick or Hargreaves IMO, wish it'd be the latter, but time fast running out, in fact probably has
    Have heard alot of people saying this, but i really dont see why it has to be Carrick or Hargreaves TBH.
    Last edited by aussie; 11-01-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Can't see Owen going. Hasn't got the legs anymore and 5 strikers is a luxuary in a 23-man squad, especially when we have Gerrard and (probably) Walcott who can play as auxiliary strikers too.
    It is interesting that Beckham has been playing a 4-3-3 formationa at Milan with Marco Borriello, and Ronaldinho.

Milan: Dida; Abate, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Antonini; Gattuso (Flamini 65), Pirlo, Ambrosini; Beckham, Borriello (Huntelaar 85), Ronaldinho
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It is interesting that Beckham has been playing a 4-3-3 formationa at Milan with Marco Borriello, and Ronaldinho.

Milan: Dida; Abate, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Antonini; Gattuso (Flamini 65), Pirlo, Ambrosini; Beckham, Borriello (Huntelaar 85), Ronaldinho
    Yea but last season he was playing in mid-field though. I reckon when Pato & Seedorf returns he will go back in the centre (RCM to be exact).

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Well given that Stevie G is playing on the left & one of Walcott/Lennon is likely be on right. I'd say J Cole is back-up left-wing, while both Theo/Lennon can play their too.

Milner can only go if their is an injury to one of Cole/Becks/Theo/Lennon.
    Ah, the old England tactic, take one of our most effective and skillful players, put him on the left wing and watch him go gash. Been doing that since Barnes. Would rather Gerrard played right with Lennon or Theo left, because Gerrard can get some great crosses with his right but doesnt appear in the game on the left, least the other two are dangerous by virtue of pace and dribbling.

In fairness i'd prefer a midfield four with Lampard in the middle, and Gerrard doing whatever the hell he wants just behind Rooney.

Milner IMO has been the most effective player on the left wing for England in a long time, deserves a spot i think

Have heard alot of people saying this, but i really dont see why it has to be Carrick of Hargreaves TBH.
    Because with Barry, who's a gimmie tbh, it'll be three defensive midfielders, so unless a defender is sacrificed (letting Hargreaves cover RB) its too much DM cover than we need. Personally think Hargreaves has missed the boat, still no sign of first team at utd, let alone playing himself back to form and fitness, and the seasons over in 4 months

cpr
    You didn't say it. But before Owen went to United thats was the general argument againts him while he was Newcastle before SAF brought him to OT.

Really cant see how you can say he has not been threatening. Yea i'm disappointed he hasn't played/started more often. But was he really bought to be regular starter?. Berbatov/Wazza was always going to be the regular starters, i always saw Owen role to be one as similar to when SAF bought Laarson - which was as a impact sub in big games, while starting againts the weaker teams.

Problem is, for all the hype, Laarson did the square root of **** all for us, mebbie 2 good games at the start, but looked out of it most of the time.

Thing is with Owen, he probably is still the best natural striker in England, but he doesn't look sharp, and when he is getting the game time he's not excelling enough... However Berbatov's injury might be the chance he needs. He needs to snatch it to prove he can do what we know he can. If he can put in a good run, i'd put him in ahead of Bent.

Rooney - all round striker who can produce the brilliance
    Crouch - Height, control, good knack for goals at international level
    Defoe - Speed and great finisher (slowly showing this at the top as well)
    Owen - Predator who can turn a game by not letting a tired defence turn off
    Walcott - Run the legs off a tired defence

Those 5 would offer a vast variety depending on who we play. Need Owen to step up over the next 6 weeks IMO to show he's good enough to go.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information