• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I was about to say that I reckon you're spot on - but now there's a hot (though unconfirmed) rumour going around that King is out and Dawson is in.

Official announcement has now been pushed back to 1500.
Dawson would surprise me, particularly as the guy didn't play against Mexico or Japan, whilst Capello has persisted with King month after month, despite the rest of us having written him off as being even more fragile than a papier-mâché model of Darren Anderton.

Still, that same logic would have dictated that Warnock had no chance, but he appears to be on the plane in place of Baines, based allegedly on homesickness - if you believe Sky Sports... I think the "pick a Spurs centre-back" question is the only one that needs resolving.

I really think there should have been a press conference at 1200 to quash all this rumour as it does seem more than a little bit village.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have liked to have seen Johnson make it, offers something a lot different to the others and you know that several of the guys in the squad are just going to be perma-reserves.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The manner in which this squad has been released makes the performances against Mexico and Japan look competent.

Can someone please explain how Carrick has made the squad (especially after the reports today that Fabio thinks his head is elsewhere having barely seen his newborn child?)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Rumour has it Capello can't get through to one of the players who has been left out and doesn't want to go public until he's spoken to all of them

Matteh

1415: How thick can this plot get? The News of the World's Neil Ashton reckons Ledley King is NOT going to South Africa. Unbelievable drama.

1411: BBC sports news correspondent Dan Roan says he has it on good authority that Ledley King is IN the England World Cup squad.

ITSTL

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sky Sports News pretty convinced that King is going - to the point of announcing him as a definite thirty seconds ago.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Can someone please explain how Carrick has made the squad (especially after the reports today that Fabio thinks his head is elsewhere having barely seen his newborn child?)
Lack of talent / faith in the other options I guess. Given the season he's just had, and his abject performance against Mexico, I thought he was staying home for sure.

Matteh

This isn't too dissimilar to transfer deadline day. Certainly builds up some hype and excitement after the two recent friendly performances.

grecian

meh, no excitement here, whoever we pick it looks piss-poor, particularly in defence, apart from cashley, which is depressing in itself:cry:.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rumour has it Capello can't get through to one of the players who has been left out and doesn't want to go public until he's spoken to all of them
So who was it turned their phone off with the theory that "if he can't call me I'll have to go to South Africa" then?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Putting all the rumours together:

James, Green, Hart
Cole, Johnson, Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher, Upson, Warnock, King
Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Lennon, Milner, Carrick, Cole, Wright-Phillips
Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey
A 23 man squad looks ordinary but you can make a good 15 from that and that's all England should need.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The live text thing on BBC just referred to John barnes as an England legend. First time I've ever txt one of these things, it was hard work keeping the language clean though

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sky sources are now claiming they have all seven. They think Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone and Scott Parker will join Leighton Baines, Adam Johnson, Theo Walcott and Darren Bent in missing out.
source=sky