• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Naah, as an England supporter you think you can beat anyone, is why the group stage is boring because you're watching waiting for a goal all the time.
The reason Australia were so much better to watch in 06 was because you felt any result was possible against Japan/Croatia/Brazil/Italy.

biased indian

International Coach
what about the pre quarter line up ..is it fixed like Teams in Group A playing Group B like that .....or will there be lot for that also

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What If John Nicholson Ran Fifa...?

WAG. Someone agrees with me!

The eight seeds are based on the dodgy FIFA rankings in October. The rankings are obtuse in the extreme. These are not the eight best sides - merely the eight sides which have had the best results against the competition they've been given by another seeded draw for the previous tournament (plus friendlies - if you play easy friendlies and win you go higher). That's not the same thing as being the eight best. Argentina were rubbish and they're a seed. South Africa are a seed because they're the hosts and they're awful. It's senseless.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would've thought that being given a place in the torney was a big enough gift for SA let alone being made a seed

After all, there's an argument to be made that they are the worst team in the finals

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No, its not.

If we've any pretensions about winning it, we've got to beat all the best teams at some point.
Indeed. But i would rather us have to face the better teams in a knockout phase, after a negotiable group phase. ENG dont historically start tournaments great anyway.

Uppercut

Indeed. But i would rather us have to face the better teams in a knockout phase, after a negotiable group phase. ENG dont historically start tournaments great anyway.
They haven't gone out in the opening group stage since 1958.

Uppercut

Just watch aussie try to dig himself out of a hole rather than admit he just made a simple error.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, tbf if he is talking about performances then he has a point, but still, it's a results business

Uppercut

It's not like they always pick it up after the group stages and perform well for the rest of the tournament either though. They haven't been slow starters, they just haven't been much good.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It's not like they always pick it up after the group stages and perform well for the rest of the tournament either though. They haven't been slow starters, they just haven't been much good.
Only person that has dug themselves into a whole is you einstein. My post was never meant to draw the comparison that "ENG are slow starters thus they need a average group to build on, so they can be in better shape to handle to big teams in the knockout phase instead of early on".

As you said ENG since 1966 have never been much good & many intangibles have affected their performances them over the last 44 years. So although this crop of players is probably the best ENG have had since italia 90, i would prefer my team to get a easy group instead of tricky opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.