• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
(y) good stuff, followed the first half with fourfourtwo's live blog, figured we should get home easily enough from there. Good to see Chipperfield nab a goal in his return game to the team (or did he play against the Dutch?)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Uzbekistan 0 Australia 1

*/grudge* Well done. *grudge*
I watched this entire game last night, and I have to say, aside from a 15-20 minute period straight after half time, we were very, very good.

Bresciano should have sealed it in 1st half stoppage time when he had a one-on-one with the 'keeper and blazed wide - a little placement instead and, given the Uzbeks would have been shattered, the score could have ben anything. Lucas Neill was superb in central defence.

So, let's now look at the contenders for the 2010 WC shall we?

Italy - robbed Australia last time - the football Gods won't be so kind this time around - Gone.

Germany - efficient but boring - Gone.

France - No Zidane, Nor France - Gone.

Croatia - beaten by England of all teams - Gone

England - struggled to beat Andorra, then beat a 10 man Croatia. We have the wood on them after the 3-1 result last time we played - Gone.

Portugal - on the slide, Ronaldo more concerned with hair styles - Gone

Spain - perrenial under achievers - Euro a false dawn - Gone

Netherlands - pizzled them last week - Gone.

US - a trumped up side from a trumped up confederation - Gone

Mexico - the Spain of Central America - Gone

Trinidad and Tobago - Dwight Yorke is 50 - Gone.

Brazil - on the slide, too much ego, Ronaldo still eating pies from 06 and Romario will no doubt launch a distracting last minute bid for selection. Last seen sitting 6th in Sth American qualifying group - Gone

Argentina - will implode when it matters, they so often do - Gone.

Uruguay - half their side now plays for Qatar - Gone.

New Zealand - Oceania's finest. A major threat but we have the wood on them too - Gone.

Nigeria - always implode at the business end - Gone.

Cameroon - best years beyond them - Gone

Cote D'Ivor - dangerous side but don't step up - Gone.

Sth Africa - curse of the hosts - Gone.

Senegal - 2002 was magical, but will be 8 year old history by the next time - Gone.

Japan - have they ever won a WC game? Gone.

Uzbekistan - look at last night - gone.

Saudi Arabia - see Japan - Gone.

Iran - dangerous, but if McCain and that redneck woman get in, they will no doubt have more pressing worries than football - Gone.

Qatar - Uruguayan imports galore - meaning they go nuts but get no where - Gone.

Sth Korea - no Guus this time - Gone.

This in depth analysis reveals what we all know already - FIFA can save itself and the Sth African govt millions and millions of dollars by simply handing over the Cup to Australia now.

This time, no shocking decision in the 1st knockout stage will deny us the place in the final which was rightfully ours last time when, with one hand on the Cup, it was cruelly snatched from us.

This time, with a fit and firing squad the envy of world football, nothing will stop us as we march through the entire process from here on in without losing a game. Last night was clearly as close as anyone will get to us. Prediction for the final - Australia 7 England 0, and four years of drunkeness for our wonderful island nation to follow.

You heard it here 1st.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Admittedly the least realistic part of the secnario, but personally the most pleasing.

duffer

I watched this entire game last night, and I have to say, aside from a 15-20 minute period straight after half time, we were very, very good.

Bresciano should have sealed it in 1st half stoppage time when he had a one-on-one with the 'keeper and blazed wide - a little placement instead and, given the Uzbeks would have been shattered, the score could have ben anything. Lucas Neill was superb in central defence.

Italy - robbed Australia last time - the football Gods won't be so kind this time around - Gone.

England - struggled to beat Andorra, then beat a 10 man Croatia. We have the wood on them after the 3-1 result last time we played - Gone.

Brazil - on the slide, too much ego, Ronaldo still eating pies from 06 and Romario will no doubt launch a distracting last minute bid for selection. Last seen sitting 6th in Sth American qualifying group - Gone

New Zealand - Oceania's finest. A major threat but we have the wood on them too - Gone.

Senegal - 2002 was magical, but will be 8 year old history by the next time - Gone.

Iran - dangerous, but if McCain and that redneck woman get in, they will no doubt have more pressing worries than football - Gone.

Qatar - Uruguayan imports galore - meaning they go nuts but get no where - Gone.

This in depth analysis reveals what we all know already - FIFA can save itself and the Sth African govt millions and millions of dollars by simply handing over the Cup to Australia now.

This time, no shocking decision in the 1st knockout stage will deny us the place in the final which was rightfully ours last time when, with one hand on the Cup, it was cruelly snatched from us.

This time, with a fit and firing squad the envy of world football, nothing will stop us as we march through the entire process from here on in without losing a game. Last night was clearly as close as anyone will get to us. Prediction for the final - Australia 7 England 0, and four years of drunkeness for our wonderful island nation to follow.

You heard it here 1st.
I thought I left hapy pills behind me when I graduated from Uni. This post makes me want one last bump. Just the one guvnor!

social

You heard it here 1st.
'bout time there was a balanced assessment of the pretenders to our throne!

Seriously, Oz would be a very good side if they could find a consistent goal scorer at international level

Soccer Australia should scour the slums (admittedly in very short supply in our fair land) for some poisoned dwarf with a head like a bag of smashed crabs (see Rooney, Ronaldhino, etc) whose only reason for being alive is to kick a ball around a field

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Our main problem is central defence, not up front for mine. With Cahill and Bresh, as well as a fit team of McDonald, Kennedy and Kewell we have goals in us. However, we have Coyne starting in the middle of defence and you can tell we're in strife when Verbeek has coaxed Craig Moore out of international retirement.

Hopefully Spiranovic and Milligan can hook up in our central defence in future, they should make a good pairing.

social

Our main problem is central defence, not up front for mine. With Cahill and Bresh, as well as a fit team of McDonald, Kennedy and Kewell we have goals in us. However, we have Coyne starting in the middle of defence and you can tell we're in strife when Verbeek has coaxed Craig Moore out of international retirement.

Hopefully Spiranovic and Milligan can hook up in our central defence in future, they should make a good pairing.
You obviously have far greater knowledge of the potential lineup than me so I'll bow to your wisdom (tbh, since living in Dubai, my exposure to Oz football is confined to internationals and players participating in the major leagues overseas).

However, whilst I'm no great fan of Neill, etc (Lucas' form for the Hammers has been pretty **** for ages), Oz are rarely blown away by any side but consistently strugle to find the net even against lesser teams

Obviously the injuries to major players has played its part (as has our tendency to sit on leads rather than go for the jugular - witness last night where we played with no-one in the opposition half for a considerable period) but it frustrates me that the team can, to a degree, look at home against anyone anyone but spurn chance after chance of the type that Bresciano missed last night

Quite simply, with a goalscorer, I believe that we'd easily be top 15 in the world.

Without one, we're competitive but likely to fall a bit short

Johnners

Whilst Neill has been in rather poor form for the Hammers, I can hardly recall him playing a bad game whilst playing for Australia. Agree with DCYE that defence is our biggest concern though, especially given how fragile our u-23s looked at the Olympics. Spiranovic looks the goods though (y).

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Quite simply, with a goalscorer, I believe that we'd easily be top 15 in the world.

Without one, we're competitive but likely to fall a bit short
Yeah it's a good point, if we could boast someone like a Huntelaar or a Van Nistelrooy, with a proven track record, we certainly would be much more potent. But like I said, I don't think we're as weak in attack as we are at the back. With an attacking of:

McDonald-Kennedy
Kewell-Cahill-Bresciano

We're always in with a shout. It's a good mix of heights, pace and nous. Then of course there's Dukes, who has a terrible scoring record but I'd reckon his assists would be much higher than most strikers.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The biggest problem with our attack is that we never play an attacking formation.

Holman preferred to MacDonald due to his work rate around the pitch. Burns and Valeri were preferred to Sterjovski, due to no confidence in our defence. Carle and Garica can never get a game, as we always prefer defensive mids or wingers that basically play as wingbacks. Kennedy ffs didn't even get used against the Ubeks. Bres only played as we dropped Kennedy.

If we stop playing two DMs and actually played two proper forwards, with one more attack minded midfielder we might actually score goals.

There is nothing wrong with the personale, it is the formation that limits goals.

Though the same formation will get us more results, just don't expect many goals.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but Holman was still preferred to him during the July quailfiers. Word is that he is ahead of Kennedy and McDonald in the peaking order now.

irfan

State Captain
The biggest problem with our attack is that we never play an attacking formation.

Holman preferred to MacDonald due to his work rate around the pitch. Burns and Valeri were preferred to Sterjovski, due to no confidence in our defence. Carle and Garica can never get a game, as we always prefer defensive mids or wingers that basically play as wingbacks. Kennedy ffs didn't even get used against the Ubeks. Bres only played as we dropped Kennedy.

If we stop playing two DMs and actually played two proper forwards, with one more attack minded midfielder we might actually score goals.

There is nothing wrong with the personale, it is the formation that limits goals.

Though the same formation will get us more results, just don't expect many goals.
AWTA. The formation we play with is still too conservative at times, you hardly ever get to see the more quick, nimble creative types like Kewell, Sterjovski & Cahill all featuring at the same time. Too many defensive midfielders who are physically strong when you could replace one of them with one mid who has the freedom to attack and slice a defence with slick passing (i.e. Fabregas). Need to find someone like him IMO

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Soccer Australia should scour the slums (admittedly in very short supply in our fair land) for some poisoned dwarf with a head like a bag of smashed crabs (see Rooney, Ronaldhino, etc) whose only reason for being alive is to kick a ball around a field
Just nick a Brazilian for mine. If it's good enough for Spain, Poland, Portugal, Germany, Croatia, Tunisia, Japan...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Oceania

Couple of matches to round off the Oceanian Nations Cup - there's a match in November scheduled between NZ and Fiji, but heaven knows whether it'll actually be played given the sheer lack of meaning in it.

03.00, Port Vila: Vanuatu 2-1 Fiji (10-men Vanuatu finish on a high-note, but are unlikely to avoid last place unless NZ drub Fiji by four.)
07.35, Auckland: New Zealand 3-0 New Caledonia (took a while, but eventually NZ prevailed easily. New Caledonia remain second though.)

Code:
New Zealand  15 +11 P
- - - - - - - - - 
NCaledon (6)  8 +2
Fiji          4 -5
Vanuatu (6)   4 -8
New Zealand to playoff with Asia
Asia

12.00, Shanghai CHN, grp 2: North Korea 1-1 South Korea (another draw, the third in a row between these two sides. Suspect a fix tbh.)
15.30, Tashkent, grp 1: Uzbekistan 0-1 Australia (Uzbekistan almost out of this after two matches - it's hard to see who should deny Australia and Japan from here.)
18.15, Abu Dhabi, grp 2: UAE 1-2 Saudi Arabia (The Saudis came back from 0-1 down to take a joint lead with North Korea. This definitely looks like the most hotly contested group, though I think the two strongest sides are in the other.)
19.00, Doha, grp 1: Qatar 1-1 Bahrain (second-half equaliser takes Bahrain a point ahead of Uzbekistan, but Qatar have a small lead in the fight for third.)

Code:
Group 1             Group 2
Qatar        4 +3   North Korea  4 +1
Japan (1)    3 +1   Saudi Arabia 4 +1
-----------------   -----------------
Australia (1)3 +1   Iran (1)     1  0
- - - - - - - - -   - - - - - - - - -
Bahrain      1 -1   South Kor (1)1  0
Uzbekistan   0 -4   Un Ar Emir   0 -2
Africa

12.00, Chililabombwe, grp 11: Zambia 1-0 Togo (The Katonga brothers - Zambia's most talented football fraternity since the Bwalyas - played a key part, as goalscorer and captain, as Zambia presumably have qualified for the next round based on this result. Togo need a big win over Swaziland to have a chance.)
20.00, Cairo, grp 10: Chad vs Sudan (Chad won the first of this two-legged affair on neutral ground, postponed and moved due to war between the two nations. With a large enough win, Chad could go first, though they only managed a one-goal win four days ago. In any case, Chad will need a win in Mali to have any hope, a most unlikely prospect)

Code:
Group 10    Pt GD   Group 11    Pt GD
Mali         9 +4   Zambia       7 +1 
-----------------   -----------------
Congo Br     9 +1   Swaziland (3)4  0
- - - - - - - - -   - - - - - - - - -
Chad (4)     6 -1   Togo (3)     3 -1
Sudan (4)    3 -4   Eritrea w/d
Europe

The main action will be in Europe, where there wasn't too many upsets during the first roiund - though most of the fixtures were gimmes anyway.

15.00, Moscow, grp 4: Russia 2-1 Wales (Russia did squeak through a win, despite a second-half equaliser from Joe Ledley. Pavel Pogrebnyak came from the bench to score.)
16.00, Baku, grp 4: Azerbaijan 0-0 Liechtenstein (Azerbaijan simply aren't very good.)
16.00, Almaty, grp 6: Kazakhstan 1-3 Ukraine (Ukraine briefly went first after an impressive performance, but they have been sorely lacking in top games recently.)
16.30, Tórshavn, grp 7: Faroe Islands 0-1 Romania (it took 59 minutes to break the duck for Romania, who are in shocking form and remain second-to-last)
17.00, Andorra la Vella, grp 6: Andorra 1-3 Belarus (as expected)
17.00, Paris, grp 7: France 2-1 Serbia (Anelka was brought on for Benzema at half-time, and scored the 2-0 goal - resulting in a journalist praising Domenech's decision at the press conference. Domenech responded with "can you repeat that please?" France remain fourth, however.)
17.00, Podgorica, grp 8: Montenegro 0-0 Republic of Ireland (Montenegro remain undefeated in international qualifying games. A grand total of one substitute in a drab match.)
17.30, Chisinau, grp 2: Moldova 1-2 Israel (Israel conceded an early goal, but came up trumps with two goals in the late first half. Steady on course for play-offs.)
17.30, Marijampolė, grp 7: Lithuania 2-0 Austria (two goals from Tomas Danilevičius has sent the basketball-crazed nation into first place in a group that should have been murder on paper. They haven't played France yet, however.)
17.35, Helsinki, grp 4: Finland 3-3 Germany (Three times Finland scored. Three times Miroslav Klose equalised. The spectators in the Olympic Stadium must have felt utterly thwarted after Germany stole a point and, perhaps, the first place in what should be a battle between three. Must admit Finland looks like Scandinavia's third best football team at this stage.)
18.00, Istanbul, grp 5: Turkey 1-1 Belgium (Despite a second-half penalty from Emre, which gave Turkey one point, Belgium should be rather satisfied with this result. Spain look like they're a cut above though.)
18.15, Stockholm, grp 1: Sweden 2-1 Hungary (a good game of football, according to Swedish television expert Glenn Strömberg. Sweden at least bounced back from their Albania debacle, though Albania are still ahead of Sweden on the table.)
18.15, Riga, grp 2: Latvia 0-2 Greece (Job done for Greece, with two goals from Theofanis Gekas; they must be laughing about their ridiculously easy draws recently.)
18.15, Zenica, grp 5: Bosnia 7-0 Estonia (Estonia's highest-ever loss in World Cup qualifying - they've had a couple 0-7s in friendlies. A horrible day at work for Bodø/Glimt keeper Pavel Londak.)
18.30, Zürich, grp 2: Switzerland 1-2 Luxembourg (:laugh: Would have liked to be in Zürich today. Luxembourg's second win in about sixty qualifiers. The Letzeburgisch goalscorer has problems with his heart, which prevented him from a professional career.)
18.30, Serravalle, grp 3: San Marino 0-2 Poland
18.30, Skopje, grp 9: Macedonia 1-2 Nederland
18.30, Reykjavík, grp 9: Iceland 1-2 Scotland (both matches in group nine went according to plan, except for a late equaliser from both sides.)
18.45, Tirana, grp 1: Albania 3-0 Malta (two goals from Ukrainian-based Kosovar defender Armend Dallku gave Albania the lead in the group.)
18.45, Maribor, grp 3: Slovenia 2-1 Slovakia (Köln striker Milivoje Novakovič, a target man par extraordinaire, sunk Slovakia and helped the hosts go second in the group.)
18.45, Belfast, grp 3: Northern Ireland 0-0 Czech Republic (drab result, the Czechs need to get into gear.)
18.50, Udine, grp 8: Italy 2-0 Georgia (comfortable.)
19.00, Zagreb, grp 6: Croatia 1-4 England (well, not bad England.)
19.45, Lisbon, grp 1: Portugal 2-3 Denmark (Can't decide whether I'm pleased or not with this result. Always nice to have Ronaldo on the losing side, of course, but there are few more insufferable things than Danish media after a football win. The actual football; Portugal took the lead twice, including a Deco penalty at 86 minutes, but Denmark scored twice in injury time. Portugal's first World Cup qualifying loss in 12 years - though they did flunk in the last qualifying, too. They're currently fourth.)
20.00, Albacete, grp 5: Spain 4-0 Armenia (Well done Spain.)

Code:
Group 1             Group 2             Group 3             
Albania      4 +3   Greece       6 +5   Poland       4 +2   
-----------------   -----------------   -----------------   
Denmark      4 +1   Israel       4 +1   Slovenia     4 +1
- - - - - - - - -   - - - - - - - - -   - - - - - - - - -   
Sweden       4 +1   Latvia       3 -1   Slovakia     3  0
Portugal     3 +3   Luxembourg   3 -2   Czech Rep (1)1  0   
Hungary      1 -1   Switzerland  1 -1   Nor Ireland  0 -1
Malta        0 -7   Moldova      0 -2   San Marino(1)0 -2

Group 4             Group 5             Group 6
Germany      4 +6   Spain        6 +5   England      6 +5
Russia (1)   3 +1   Turkey       4 +2   Ukraine      6 +3
Wales        3  0   Belgium      4 +1   Belarus      3 +1
Finland (1)  1  0   Bos i Herc   3 +6   Croatia      3  0
Azerbaijan   0 -1   Armenia      0 -6   Kazakhstan   3 -2
Liech'stein  0 -6   Estonia      0 -9   Andorra      0 -7

Group 7             Group 8             Group 9
Lithuania    6 +5   Italy        6 +3   N'lands (1)  3 +1
Serbia       3 +1   Rep Ireland  4 +1   FYR Macedonia3 +0
Austria      3  0   Montenegro   2  0   Scotland     3  0
France       3 -1   Bulgaria (1) 1  0   Norway (1)   1  0
Romania      3 -2   Cyprus (1)   0 -1   Iceland      1 -1
Faroe Islands0 -3   Georgia      0 -3   
Group winner to World Cup
Eight best runners-up to play-off
CONCACAF

19.30, Paramaribo, grp 3: Suriname 0-2 El Salvador (two first-half goals, and El Salvador have nearly booked their place in the next round. One more win will be enough.)
22.00, Port-au-Prince, grp 3: Haiti 1-3 Costa Rica (a brief scare from an equaliser, but Costa Rica kept above water with two goals in the last 15 minutes. Costa Rica through to the next round.)
00.00, Chicago, grp 1: USA 3-0 Trinidad and Tobago (no respite for smaller nations. The US only need another point after Bradley and Dempsey sunk Trinidad.)
01.00, Tuxtla Gutiérrez, grp 2: Mexico 2-1 Canada (Canada actually performed creditably, yet their hopes of qualifying for the next stage seem slim.)
01.30, San Pedro Sula, grp 2: Honduras 2-0 Jamaica (MLS seems to do the Hondurans good - their goalscorers today are both MLS regulars. This means that both Jamaica and Canada have seen qualification slip from their own control, and rely on help from others.)
02.00, Guatemala City, grp 1: Guatemala 4-1 Cuba (a convincing victory sends Guatemala second. In October, Trinidad and Tobago travel to Guatemala, and need a win to keep their hopes alive.)

Code:
Group 1     Pt GD   Group 2     Pt GD   Group 3     Pt GD
USA          9 +5   Mexico       9 +5   Costa Rica   9 +10
Guatemala    4 +2   Honduras     6 +2   El Salvador  6 +6
Trinidad/Tob 4 -1   Canada       1 -2   Haiti        1 -7
Cuba         0 -6   Jamaica      1 -5   Suriname     1 -9
Top two to final league stage
South America

One match tonight, the other four tomorrow:

00.00, Asunción: Paraguay 2-0 Venezuela (Paraguay clearly the better team, apparently.)
20.40, Montevideo: Uruguay 0-0 Ecuador (the goalless draw leaves both sides in a spot of trouble, Uruguay once again throwing away a fine performance.)
22.40, Santiago: Chile 4-0 Colombia (this is what happens when you only look at recent form. Chile were a lot better than previous results suggested, and are now fourth, tied with Brazil and Argentina.)
00.50, Rio de Janeiro: Brazil 0-0 Bolivia (and the papers may call for Dunga's head again. Brazil's fourth draw in eight games leaves them only a point into the qualification zone.)
02.30, Lima: Peru 1-1 Argentina (Johan Fano saved a point for the hosts, enough to frustrate Argentina, but not enough to revitalise a failed qualifying campaign.)

Code:
South AmericPt GD
Paraguay    17 +10
Brazil      13 +7
Argentina   13 +6
Chile       13 +1
-----------------
Uruguay     12 +10
- - - - - - - - - 
Colombia    10 -3
Ecuador      9 -4
Venezuela    7 -4
Peru         7 -11
Bolivia      4 -12
Top four to World Cup
Fifth to play-off with Asia

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say (with an eye on Yurp) it'd be an absolute pisser to finish second in your group & not make a play-off. The chances are it'll be a team from one of the stronger groups who miss out as well because they're more likely to come a cropper against the 3rd/4th/5th teams in the group.

With Lithunaia suddenly finding a team from somewhere Group 7 looks an absolute smeller. Conversely Group 2 looks the cakiest of walks.

Chubb

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes;167602216.30 said:
Tórshavn, grp 7: Faroe Islands 0-1 Romania (it took 59 minutes to break the duck for Romania, who are in shocking form and remain second-to-last)
It's never that easy to go to the Faroes when a side isn't gelling. The fog, the rain, the physicality of the Faroese players... it can be very tough.

Nice to see the Puffins are using the stadium in the capital now, though they still go to Toftir on occasion. For those of you who don't know, it is very difficult to get grass to grow in the Faroes, and they scoured the islands for any location they could build a FIFA standard football stadium. They eventually found one in the village of Toftir. They had to dig out the cliff-face to create a sheltered enough area for the grass and the stands etc. Unfortunately, Toftir is a long way from Torshavn, the capital, and most visiting sides didn't like it. Now, however, I believe they are allowed to use the artifical pitch at the Torsvollur stadium in Torshavn itself, home of the mighty Faroese Man U, Hafnar Boltfelag.

Status
Not open for further replies.