• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web's World Twenty20 Predictions- Revisited

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Have to say I'm surprised no one picked Gul. He's been the best bowler in this format for two years but everyone seems to criminally underrate him. I remember people making T20 XI's in some thread and no one even thought of him till the fourth page!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Have to say I'm surprised no one picked Gul. He's been the best bowler in this format for two years but everyone seems to criminally underrate him. I remember people making T20 XI's in some thread and no one even thought of him till the fourth page!
In my defence I did single him out in the Pakistan preview

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You all suck at predictions, but it a brilliant feature article and I look forward to seeing it for the Ashes.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought about him, but there were a lot of questions coming into the tournament. Pakistan hadn't played much cricket lately, to say the least. How was his fitness? Would he still be as sharp?

He missed the IPL, and wasn't quite at his best in IPL 1 IIRC. Is there any reason to believe he'll suddenly regain the form of the last World T20 in a game that has moved on significantly in that time?

Pakistan didn't seem to be one of the strongest sides. Would they even get far enough for Gul to take more wickets than anyone else?

It's not that we underrated him, there was just a lot of uncertainty surrounding Gul and Pakistan. It would have been a brave man to predict him to outbowl every one of Steyn, Parnell, Edwards, Mendis, Murali, Malinga, Johnson, Vettori, Harbhajan, Afridi and Ajmal.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought about him, but there were a lot of questions coming into the tournament. Pakistan hadn't played much cricket lately, to say the least. How was his fitness? Would he still be as sharp?
His warm up games were not too special, either.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Generally there is a tendency among writers and analysts of the Cricket World of being unfairly biased towards Pakistan Players.

I am not surprised that one of the best T20 bowlers was not even looked at.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm going to ignore that criticism and bask in the glory of being referred to as a writer and/or analyst of the cricket world :cool:

Faisal1985

Even if we look at the strengths of the teams pre world cup nothing suggested to me that SA were to lose this time. Still most predictions on this forum were about India. Needless to say but these predictions were desired and not statistical based and hence biased.

On the other hand:

Pakistan had the best win/loss ratio among all teams before the WC began along with the highest Wicket Taker Umar Gul and the Man of the series Shahid Afridi from 2007 WC in there squads. Right before the start of the World Cup they overwhelmed Aussies in the T20. Yet there was only 1 person who counted Pakistan in their predictions here and that to no surprise of mine was a Pakistani. Moreover if it wasn't for the needless scoop of Misbah in 2007 Pakistan would have been the defending champs.

But i don't blame anyone because losers like Boycott also ruled out Pakistan.

Its only a matter of time when Mohammad Asif, Umar Gul, and Mohammad Aamir become one of the most lethel bowling attacks in the world. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Even if we look at the strengths of the teams pre world cup nothing suggested to me that SA were to lose this time. Still most predictions on this forum were about India. Needless to say but these predictions were desired and not statistical based and hence biased.

On the other hand:

Pakistan had the best win/loss ratio among all teams before the WC began along with the highest Wicket Taker Umar Gul and the Man of the series Shahid Afridi from 2007 WC in there squads. Right before the start of the World Cup they overwhelmed Aussies in the T20. Yet there was only 1 person who counted Pakistan in their predictions here and that to no surprise of mine was a Pakistani. Moreover if it wasn't for the needless scoop of Misbah in 2007 Pakistan would have been the defending champs.

But i don't blame anyone because losers like Boycott also ruled out Pakistan.

Its only a matter of time when Mohammad Asif, Umar Gul, and Mohammad Aamir become one of the most lethel bowling attacks in the world. Looking forward to it.
Bro we won the tourney be happy and just move on with it no need to be an angry young man. TBF to those esteemed analysts of CW:cool: there was nothing positive about Pakistan coming in to this tourney and the warm up games only confirmed the feeling that they would struggle. Forget CW not even the biggest cricket pundit would have predicted our victory.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Hopefully it will lead to some better, thoughtful and unbiased predictions for future.
Bro we won the tourney be happy and just move on with it no need to be an angry young man. TBF to those esteemed analysts of CW:cool: there was nothing positive about Pakistan coming in to this tourney and the warm up games only confirmed the feeling that they would struggle. Forget CW not even the biggest cricket pundit would have predicted our victory.
What Xuhaib said.

Faisal1985

My whole point!

When there is a general bias, numbers don't matter much and predictions are made on mere feelings. But when numbers are favorable Pundits say "i told you so"......... I am not angry just annoyed at the way these "pundits" spit garbage.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My whole point!

When there is a general bias, numbers don't matter much and predictions are made on mere feelings. But when numbers are favorable Pundits say "i told you so"......... I am not angry just annoyed at the way these "pundits" spit garbage.
Pakistan would have been impossible to predict with any degree of confidence, for 2 reasons: the very mercurial nature of Pakistan's cricket - who would have thought that the side which was so abject against England would have ended up winning as comfortably as they did?

Secondly, they've played almost no meaningful international cricket since the last T20 WC - so you can't really blame posters for going with the sides that have played more regularly and shown some semblance of form.

None of the above betrays any sort of anti-Pakistan bias. Grow up.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
My whole point!

When there is a general bias, numbers don't matter much and predictions are made on mere feelings.
Hey Seasonal mushroom where were you before Pakistan won ? If you were so sure of Pakistan's victory in the Cup, why didn't you join before and made the prediction ?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

He missed the IPL, and wasn't quite at his best in IPL 1 IIRC. Is there any reason to believe he'll suddenly regain the form of the last World T20 in a game that has moved on significantly in that time?

Pakistan didn't seem to be one of the strongest sides. Would they even get far enough for Gul to take more wickets than anyone else?

It's not that we underrated him, there was just a lot of uncertainty surrounding Gul and Pakistan. It would have been a brave man to predict him to outbowl every one of Steyn, Parnell, Edwards, Mendis, Murali, Malinga, Johnson, Vettori, Harbhajan, Afridi and Ajmal.
Tbf my comment was meant for the cricket world over the last two years. He was the most efficient wicket taker in the last WC but look at his price tag in the IPL. As an aside, I don't think IPL is a good enough measure of form. Wasn't Sohail Tanvir the best bowler of IPL 1?

Hey Seasonal mushroom where were you before Pakistan won ? If you were so sure of Pakistan's victory in the Cup, why didn't you join before and made the prediction ?
Indeed.