Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have lost quite a bit of respect for the ever so classy Sangakarra.

U19 Captain

Icon8 Have lost quite a bit of respect for the ever so classy Sangakarra.

Did anyone see the post game presentation after the final? I mean its great to sit back and appreciate your team after a loss but at least be humble and gracious in defeat.

Nasir Hussain asked him whether the plan was to attack Pakistan at the top since their bowling at the death is lethal. His reply was that wasn't a concern at all and that his batsmen could easily play out the Pakistani bowlers at the death.

Fair enough thats fine, but then he goes on to say that Sri Lankan bowling attack is the best in the world.. OK fair enough you can sure say that about your team, perhaps they are, and he is entitled to his opinion.

What was most surprising of his interview was the tone, and more importantly, NOT ONCE did he admit to the fact that Pakistan just outplayed them on the day, or did he give Pakistan any credit, nor did he congratulate them once.

I had an unfavorable opinion of Smith, but after the semi defeat, he came forward and admitted that despite his team giving out a good effort, Pakistan just plain and simple out played them and deserved to win. On their day they could beat anyone and South Africa really wasn't lacking in any respect, Pakistan just out played a strong outfit, and he also wished Pakistan the best in the final.

All this came from a very frustrated captain of a team labeled chokers on the back of so many heart crushing defeats. Smith was humble and gracious in defeat.

I would urge you guys to check out the interview on youtube or something, personally I didn't expect this from Sangakarra, not that its the biggest deal in the world, but I was shocked to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16 View Post
    Did anyone see the post game presentation after the final? I mean its great to sit back and appreciate your team after a loss but at least be humble and gracious in defeat.

Nasir Hussain asked him whether the plan was to attack Pakistan at the top since their bowling at the death is lethal. His reply was that wasn't a concern at all and that his batsmen could easily play out the Pakistani bowlers at the death.

Fair enough thats fine, but then he goes on to say that Sri Lankan bowling attack is the best in the world.. OK fair enough you can sure say that about your team, perhaps they are, and he is entitled to his opinion.

What was most surprising of his interview was the tone, and more importantly, NOT ONCE did he admit to the fact that Pakistan just outplayed them on the day, or did he give Pakistan any credit, nor did he congratulate them once.

I had an unfavorable opinion of Smith, but after the semi defeat, he came forward and admitted that despite his team giving out a good effort, Pakistan just plain and simple out played them and deserved to win. On their day they could beat anyone and South Africa really wasn't lacking in any respect, Pakistan just out played a strong outfit, and he also wished Pakistan the best in the final.

All this came from a very frustrated captain of a team labeled chokers on the back of so many heart crushing defeats. Smith was humble and gracious in defeat.

I would urge you guys to check out the interview on youtube or something, personally I didn't expect this from Sangakarra, not that its the biggest deal in the world, but I was shocked to see this.
    His team has lost 2 big Finals in 2 years so he must be hurting, usually he carries himself with a lot of class so I would not read too much in to it.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Tough on Sangakarra. A post-match interview at the end of an intense final is not the best time to judge word by word the character of a man.

Has always shown respect to opposition players and teams. Is clearly the most articulate of all the current international captains. He is simply a case example of how the modern captain should carry his side and show respect to the opposition.

Read nothing into his post-match words.

Chin up mate, your thread title still says "ever so classy Sangakarra." shows that you still love the guy.

Kumar is a champ, he'll probably right a fantastic article in the next week or so congratulating Pakistan.

For my money, Kumar is still the most classy player in the world. I'll never forget the time he was going to make a double-century against Australia, Rudi Keutzen (sp) gave him out when he clearly wasn't, and later when Rudi appologised Sanga just shrugged it off.

There aren't too many cricketers in history who would have done that.

You could argue it was Sri Lanka's game to lose, but 20/20 is just a random game with so much luck that things can go either way.

I felt happy for Pakistan. After such a turmultuous year the Pakistani cricket-loving public deserve something. I have a Pakistani friend and listening to him it sounds like there's a great contingent of good cricket-loving Pakistani's who wont get to see much cricket because of a few idiots.

The Pakistani people deserve this world cup.

common mate.. be happy.. at least he didn't accuse Pakistan of cheating and bowle tampering like some other losing captain did..

i don't know if this is the right place to talk about this.. but his captaincy is the thing that i have questions about..

First why did he send Mubarak at number 3?

Second, why did he have Udana bowle 17th over?

Two crucial self destrecting decisions..

Haha, just on the Graeme Smith point, it was in Smith's interest to say Pakistan outplayed them, as the only other possibility was that SA choked.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Storm in a nip glass

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
    common mate.. be happy.. at least he didn't accuse Pakistan of cheating and bowle tampering like some other losing captain did..

Banned
    Yeah. More like a baby fart tbh.

Sangakkara has always come across as classier and less arrogant than Smith. He certainly is a lot smarter.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    As an SL fan, I was actually surprised he didn't speak of the Pakistan team at all in the post match interview.

But I don't think you can begrudge Sanga for that - particularly considering the friendship and sacrifice the SL team has shown Pakistan. I'm certain Sanga's mind was heavy with the realisation and disappointment that he couldn't deliver a victory for the people of SL for whom it would have been just as re-affirming as it has been for Pakistan. I'm also sure the fact Pakistan outplayed SL in every facet of the game went without saying was also part of the reason for his oversight.

But that was regardless probably the best post match interview by a captain I've seen. I was very stoked that he also spoke some words in Sinhalese. I was hoping that Khan would do likewise (in Urdu obviously, although I'd probably be more impressed if he did speak in Sinhalese lol).

Congrats Pakistan - we couldn't have lost to a nicer or more deserving bunch!
    Last edited by lionheart; 22-06-2009 at 04:22 AM.

One person who definitely isn't completely all right up there is Younis Khan. Haven't come across a lot of more egotistical cricketers than him.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    One person who definitely isn't completely all right up there is Younis Khan. Haven't come across a lot of more egotistical cricketers than him.
    ???

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    ???
    Love the guy but he's so full of himself.
    RIP Craigos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information