• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have lost quite a bit of respect for the ever so classy Sangakarra.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Did anyone see the post game presentation after the final? I mean its great to sit back and appreciate your team after a loss but at least be humble and gracious in defeat.

Nasir Hussain asked him whether the plan was to attack Pakistan at the top since their bowling at the death is lethal. His reply was that wasn't a concern at all and that his batsmen could easily play out the Pakistani bowlers at the death.

Fair enough thats fine, but then he goes on to say that Sri Lankan bowling attack is the best in the world.. OK fair enough you can sure say that about your team, perhaps they are, and he is entitled to his opinion.

What was most surprising of his interview was the tone, and more importantly, NOT ONCE did he admit to the fact that Pakistan just outplayed them on the day, or did he give Pakistan any credit, nor did he congratulate them once.

I had an unfavorable opinion of Smith, but after the semi defeat, he came forward and admitted that despite his team giving out a good effort, Pakistan just plain and simple out played them and deserved to win. On their day they could beat anyone and South Africa really wasn't lacking in any respect, Pakistan just out played a strong outfit, and he also wished Pakistan the best in the final.

All this came from a very frustrated captain of a team labeled chokers on the back of so many heart crushing defeats. Smith was humble and gracious in defeat.

I would urge you guys to check out the interview on youtube or something, personally I didn't expect this from Sangakarra, not that its the biggest deal in the world, but I was shocked to see this.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Did anyone see the post game presentation after the final? I mean its great to sit back and appreciate your team after a loss but at least be humble and gracious in defeat.

Nasir Hussain asked him whether the plan was to attack Pakistan at the top since their bowling at the death is lethal. His reply was that wasn't a concern at all and that his batsmen could easily play out the Pakistani bowlers at the death.

Fair enough thats fine, but then he goes on to say that Sri Lankan bowling attack is the best in the world.. OK fair enough you can sure say that about your team, perhaps they are, and he is entitled to his opinion.

What was most surprising of his interview was the tone, and more importantly, NOT ONCE did he admit to the fact that Pakistan just outplayed them on the day, or did he give Pakistan any credit, nor did he congratulate them once.

I had an unfavorable opinion of Smith, but after the semi defeat, he came forward and admitted that despite his team giving out a good effort, Pakistan just plain and simple out played them and deserved to win. On their day they could beat anyone and South Africa really wasn't lacking in any respect, Pakistan just out played a strong outfit, and he also wished Pakistan the best in the final.

All this came from a very frustrated captain of a team labeled chokers on the back of so many heart crushing defeats. Smith was humble and gracious in defeat.

I would urge you guys to check out the interview on youtube or something, personally I didn't expect this from Sangakarra, not that its the biggest deal in the world, but I was shocked to see this.
His team has lost 2 big Finals in 2 years so he must be hurting, usually he carries himself with a lot of class so I would not read too much in to it.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Tough on Sangakarra. A post-match interview at the end of an intense final is not the best time to judge word by word the character of a man.

Has always shown respect to opposition players and teams. Is clearly the most articulate of all the current international captains. He is simply a case example of how the modern captain should carry his side and show respect to the opposition.

Read nothing into his post-match words.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Chin up mate, your thread title still says "ever so classy Sangakarra." shows that you still love the guy.

Kumar is a champ, he'll probably right a fantastic article in the next week or so congratulating Pakistan.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
For my money, Kumar is still the most classy player in the world. I'll never forget the time he was going to make a double-century against Australia, Rudi Keutzen (sp) gave him out when he clearly wasn't, and later when Rudi appologised Sanga just shrugged it off.

There aren't too many cricketers in history who would have done that.

You could argue it was Sri Lanka's game to lose, but 20/20 is just a random game with so much luck that things can go either way.

I felt happy for Pakistan. After such a turmultuous year the Pakistani cricket-loving public deserve something. I have a Pakistani friend and listening to him it sounds like there's a great contingent of good cricket-loving Pakistani's who wont get to see much cricket because of a few idiots.

The Pakistani people deserve this world cup.

AaronK

State Regular
common mate.. be happy.. at least he didn't accuse Pakistan of cheating and bowle tampering like some other losing captain did..

i don't know if this is the right place to talk about this.. but his captaincy is the thing that i have questions about..

First why did he send Mubarak at number 3?

Second, why did he have Udana bowle 17th over?

Two crucial self destrecting decisions..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha, just on the Graeme Smith point, it was in Smith's interest to say Pakistan outplayed them, as the only other possibility was that SA choked.

Briony

International Debutant
Sangakkara has always come across as classier and less arrogant than Smith. He certainly is a lot smarter.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
As an SL fan, I was actually surprised he didn't speak of the Pakistan team at all in the post match interview.

But I don't think you can begrudge Sanga for that - particularly considering the friendship and sacrifice the SL team has shown Pakistan. I'm certain Sanga's mind was heavy with the realisation and disappointment that he couldn't deliver a victory for the people of SL for whom it would have been just as re-affirming as it has been for Pakistan. I'm also sure the fact Pakistan outplayed SL in every facet of the game went without saying was also part of the reason for his oversight.

But that was regardless probably the best post match interview by a captain I've seen. I was very stoked that he also spoke some words in Sinhalese. I was hoping that Khan would do likewise (in Urdu obviously, although I'd probably be more impressed if he did speak in Sinhalese lol).

Congrats Pakistan - we couldn't have lost to a nicer or more deserving bunch!

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
One person who definitely isn't completely all right up there is Younis Khan. Haven't come across a lot of more egotistical cricketers than him.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Love the guy but he's so full of himself.
That's the reason, Xuhaib. The guy earlier refused to lead his team when they needed him most, just because some peon happened to make him wait at the PCB office. This time, Pakistan get off to a disastrous start in the tournament, and rather than accept blame, he sought to distance himself from it by claiming it was a joke tournament (or something to that effect). Then they win the whole thing and he engages in all this grandstanding by likening himself to Imran, which means he's either an opportunistic glory hunter or he's downplaying Imran's triumph by comparing the 92 WC win to a win at what he himself referred to as a joke format. This entire retirement drama is so cringeworthy. You can only retire from something you've been at for a sufficient period of time. Leading your team for just one T20 tournament is at best what is referred to in working circles as a locum job, and you don't 'retire' from locum jobs.

pup11

International Coach
Always considered Sanga to be a top bloke, and tbf it would have been disappointing for him to lead the side for the first time, and eventually lose in the finals, as NUFAN said, I am sure Sanga would come up with a great article to congratulate the Pakistanis, so cheer up mate..!!!

Xuhaib

International Coach
That's the reason, Xuhaib. The guy earlier refused to lead his team when they needed him most, just because some peon happened to make him wait at the PCB office. This time, Pakistan get off to a disastrous start in the tournament, and rather than accept blame, he sought to distance himself from it by claiming it was a joke tournament (or something to that effect). Then they win the whole thing and he engages in all this grandstanding by likening himself to Imran, which means he's either an opportunistic glory hunter or he's downplaying Imran's triumph by comparing the 92 WC win to a win at what he himself referred to as a joke format. This entire retirement drama is so cringeworthy. You can only retire from something you've been at for a sufficient period of time. Leading your team for just one T20 tournament is at best what is referred to in working circles as a locum job, and you don't 'retire' from locum jobs.
haha...You are reading too much in to it, his refusal to lead was correct I feel at that time. PCB wanted a yes-man for a skipper as Inzi's actions at the oval had created a lot of bad press for them and they wanted YK to fulfill the role while Younis wanted a greater say in both off field and on field matters.Yes man captain's don't work in the Pakistani system some of our worst performances have come under a puppy skipper (Ramiz, Anwar, Zaheer Abbas) and its no surprise Shoaib Malik another pittu had an equally bad time. Younis to his credit stuck to his guns and with the result he was finally able to get the captaincy on his own terms.

As for the joke format stuff I think he was just trying to reduce the pressure on his team and as I have mentioned before his english communication skills are not the greatest so he was unable to put across his message in the most appropriate way, deep down I am sure he knew how important this tournament was for Pakistan's cricket revival as a good performance here would once make the cricketing world take notice of Pakistan. I feel he knew he did not have the best team and he himself was unaware what would be the best combination so this was just a way to relax his boys. As for the retirement stuff:laugh: yeah its quite funny but then every Pakistani cricketer's dream is to emulate Imran Khan one day Younis probably thought this was his best opportunity so why not just cash in on it.

Younis I feel is quite a genunie guy yes he's got an emotional streak in him which makes him come across a bit arrogant.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sangakkara has always come across as classier and less arrogant than Smith. He certainly is a lot smarter.
Really don't understand this perception of Smith. Ok, he didnt make the right impressions when he first became captain and wanted to put a stamp of his own authority which really backfired on him many times, but I honestly cant see how hes said or done anything wrong recently that would put him across as arrogant or classless. By and large hes been fairly respectful and his comments in the press have come across to me as being well thought out and definitely not controversial.

Most people who have played with him have had few issues and even Shane Warne has admitted recently that after playing with him hes found him to be a lot less of a twit than he had thought initially.

Last edited: