Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have lost quite a bit of respect for the ever so classy Sangakarra.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Love the guy but he's so full of himself.
    Find him a pretty decent chap though his angrazi communication skills let him down and sometimes he finds it difficult to put the right message across.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Love the guy but he's so full of himself.
    That's the reason, Xuhaib. The guy earlier refused to lead his team when they needed him most, just because some peon happened to make him wait at the PCB office. This time, Pakistan get off to a disastrous start in the tournament, and rather than accept blame, he sought to distance himself from it by claiming it was a joke tournament (or something to that effect). Then they win the whole thing and he engages in all this grandstanding by likening himself to Imran, which means he's either an opportunistic glory hunter or he's downplaying Imran's triumph by comparing the 92 WC win to a win at what he himself referred to as a joke format. This entire retirement drama is so cringeworthy. You can only retire from something you've been at for a sufficient period of time. Leading your team for just one T20 tournament is at best what is referred to in working circles as a locum job, and you don't 'retire' from locum jobs.

Always considered Sanga to be a top bloke, and tbf it would have been disappointing for him to lead the side for the first time, and eventually lose in the finals, as NUFAN said, I am sure Sanga would come up with a great article to congratulate the Pakistanis, so cheer up mate..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    That's the reason, Xuhaib. The guy earlier refused to lead his team when they needed him most, just because some peon happened to make him wait at the PCB office. This time, Pakistan get off to a disastrous start in the tournament, and rather than accept blame, he sought to distance himself from it by claiming it was a joke tournament (or something to that effect). Then they win the whole thing and he engages in all this grandstanding by likening himself to Imran, which means he's either an opportunistic glory hunter or he's downplaying Imran's triumph by comparing the 92 WC win to a win at what he himself referred to as a joke format. This entire retirement drama is so cringeworthy. You can only retire from something you've been at for a sufficient period of time. Leading your team for just one T20 tournament is at best what is referred to in working circles as a locum job, and you don't 'retire' from locum jobs.
    haha...You are reading too much in to it, his refusal to lead was correct I feel at that time. PCB wanted a yes-man for a skipper as Inzi's actions at the oval had created a lot of bad press for them and they wanted YK to fulfill the role while Younis wanted a greater say in both off field and on field matters.Yes man captain's don't work in the Pakistani system some of our worst performances have come under a puppy skipper (Ramiz, Anwar, Zaheer Abbas) and its no surprise Shoaib Malik another pittu had an equally bad time. Younis to his credit stuck to his guns and with the result he was finally able to get the captaincy on his own terms.

As for the joke format stuff I think he was just trying to reduce the pressure on his team and as I have mentioned before his english communication skills are not the greatest so he was unable to put across his message in the most appropriate way, deep down I am sure he knew how important this tournament was for Pakistan's cricket revival as a good performance here would once make the cricketing world take notice of Pakistan. I feel he knew he did not have the best team and he himself was unaware what would be the best combination so this was just a way to relax his boys. As for the retirement stuff yeah its quite funny but then every Pakistani cricketer's dream is to emulate Imran Khan one day Younis probably thought this was his best opportunity so why not just cash in on it.

Younis I feel is quite a genunie guy yes he's got an emotional streak in him which makes him come across a bit arrogant.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Sangakkara has always come across as classier and less arrogant than Smith. He certainly is a lot smarter.
    Really don't understand this perception of Smith. Ok, he didnt make the right impressions when he first became captain and wanted to put a stamp of his own authority which really backfired on him many times, but I honestly cant see how hes said or done anything wrong recently that would put him across as arrogant or classless. By and large hes been fairly respectful and his comments in the press have come across to me as being well thought out and definitely not controversial.

Most people who have played with him have had few issues and even Shane Warne has admitted recently that after playing with him hes found him to be a lot less of a twit than he had thought initially.
    Last edited by tooextracool; 22-06-2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Yeah, I don't particularly like Smith, but he came across as being very gracious and respectful in regards to the semi-final defeat, even when some ****wit commentator asked about the whole choking label they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Haha, just on the Graeme Smith point, it was in Smith's interest to say Pakistan outplayed them, as the only other possibility was that SA choked.
    Exactly!

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Haha, just on the Graeme Smith point, it was in Smith's interest to say Pakistan outplayed them, as the only other possibility was that SA choked.

Must admit he has come across less of a sore loser and more gracious in defeats lately.

First Class Debutant
    Yes he was going in circles. Basically taking cautious steps.In case Pakistan couldn't make it,it was a joke format anyway .Now that they won it,he beacame an Imran Khan .He is the best captain Pakistan has right now,but always keeps the resignation threat in case things didn't go in his way.

Icon7

yes mohammad16, dat thought came2my mind also. his tone wz really changd like nevr b4.
    but i let it go. cz i think there were many reasons4dat. 1stly his main player Dilshan, who wz gr8 success story4whole tournament, failed at da biggest occasion. this thing really hurts. also mendis,who was lethal throughout, lookd quite ordinary against pakis, went4his worst spell in da final
    2ndly even aftr their debacle, they managed2get2 138 wich looked a very competitiv total in this world cup and especially against pakistan. but they still lost with 8 balls2spare nd 8 wickets
    3rdly som of his decisions went wrong. eg giving ball to Malinga in the middle of the innings, where pakis were nt really pacing. so any other bowler could v suited at dat stage nd Malinga's overs should v been savd 4 da crunch situation at da end

so kumar wz really very frustrated, i wz feeling4him. i agree, he will com up wid a congratulating article 4 pakis to nullify his post match interview dat wz so due to frustration of mind.
    Sangakara nd da whole Srilankan team is still my favourite due to their humble attitude, chin up nd dnt feel bad of them coz dats only da 1st time
    Last edited by Afridi102o45; 27-06-2009 at 02:43 AM.

well younis didnt acceptd captaincy ahead of t20 WC coz he was, according2him, not suited 4 dat. he also accepted, even, dat he iz nt suited4 t20 cricket bt he had 2 accept as there were no other options. nd due to his hardwork wid guys wen he wz able 2 win da world cup 4 his country, even at dat moment, he gav all da credit 2 his guys nd accepted he iz nt suited 4 t20 format. wich he declared da reason 4 his retirement. in a pakistani private sports channel(geo-super) he clearly told dat he cant even think of comparing himself to imran khan(hundreds of thousands of younis's fans didnt want 2 hear this), nd he iz retiring just bcoz he want 2 giv a chance 2 a more deserving afridi. "afridi was nt an option b4 t20 WC but now he has provd 2 be" he added.

nd his much criticizd statement declaring t20 as fun cricket wz just 2 release pressure 4m his young guys who were desparately looking 4 a WC(as a gift 2 their nation) but lost quite heavily in very 1st game

Younis is a gr8 captain atleast in t20. he knows how to win a worldcup without main players like M Asif, Akhtar, Nazir. etc. he knows how to convert a losing sequence to a winning sequence. he knows how to change batting style for this format. his SR in this WC is some where near 150

Didnt u see Pakistani team 1st time ever playing according 2 a plan
    Last edited by Afridi102o45; 27-06-2009 at 02:48 AM.

This time, Pakistan get off to a disastrous start in the tournament, and rather than accept blame, he sought to distance himself from it by claiming it was a joke tournament (or something to that effect).
    hahaha dear mate he also said dat he didnt give much importance2t20 format. I wonder what will happen if he starts giving importance hahaha.
    Last edited by Afridi102o45; 27-06-2009 at 02:15 AM.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    His team has lost 2 big Finals in 2 years so he must be hurting, usually he carries himself with a lot of class so I would not read too much in to it.

He was not the Captain at that time.

Now his first test came as a captain he clearly holds a grudge against Pakistan not for cricketing reasons but for his ethnic background as a Tamil and the fact that Pak Military helped SL Military crush the Tamil Tigers.

But yes he is entitled to his opinion and his feelings obviously.

One of the classiest lefty i have seen after Saeed Anwar and Gilly.....

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar

I got that feeling as well. But at the same time i think he was trying to lower the expectations of Pakistani people as well. So that any heavy knock out from the tournament would not hurt as much. That is the reason Pakistanis were flattered by the fact that we reached Semis..

Moreover, the guy can make his point much clearer in Urdu. His English is not good.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    He was not the Captain at that time.

Now his first test came as a captain he clearly holds a grudge against Pakistan not for cricketing reasons but for his ethnic background as a Tamil and the fact that Pak Military helped SL Military crush the Tamil Tigers.

But yes he is entitled to his opinion and his feelings obviously.
    LOL WTF? Sanga isn't Tamil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information