• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL > Twenty20 WC?

Which tournament do you prefer?

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
For some reason I've enjoyed the IPL so much more than the two T20 world championships. I honestly can't put my finger on it, logic should dictate that with so many better players and without Indian filler the International stuff should be a lot more enjoyable. But for me at least, it hasn't been and I personally find the IPL a lot more engrossing.

Is it just me or does anyone else (that has watched enough of both tournaments) feel the same way?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't have Setanta so haven't watched any IPL. However, I've really enjoyed this tournament, been able to watch most of it due to timezones/being off work last week. It's been great, most of the matches have been exciting and there is no doubt in my mind now that I prefer T20s to ODIs completely. So I would doubt I'd have enjoyed the IPL more.

ret

International Debutant
For some reason I've enjoyed the IPL so much more than the two T20 world championships. I honestly can't put my finger on it, logic should dictate that with so many better players and without Indian filler the International stuff should be a lot more enjoyable. But for me at least, it hasn't been and I personally find the IPL a lot more engrossing.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same way?
I enjoyed IPL more too .... Besides cricket there are a lot of other things that makes IPL interesting like ppl like SRK and Mallaya, Bhukha-naan's multiple captains theory, retired superstars playing, Bollywood glitter, chance to see young Indian cricketers, and so on .... And as an Indian fan, I could follow all the 8 teams, which kept me interested till the end, unlike the T20 WC where my team's exit has meant that I don't really care who wins the WC

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Standard's been light years above what was played in the IPL, no comparison in my book.
Absolutely. I watch a few IPL games but couldnt stay with it for two reasons a) I didnt have a team and b) the standard was poor.

The mish mash of players was awkward, some foreign players that were almost no-names and were non-internationals and some hopelessly unbalanced line-ups due to mistakes in squad building and the need to include a certain number of Indians.

The IPL cricket just felt and look of a very ordinary quality and it didnt have much to draw me in. That said, if Id have had a team that I supported then it would have been more interesting.

Im can see the T20 WC or IPL being comparable. Probably unfair on IPL to even try.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I loved the IPL the first time around (I wonder why!), but the second time around I got bored and didn't watch much. It went on way too long and there were too many rubbish players. I've really really got into the T20 WC this time around. But perhaps that's also helped by having been to three days live.

jondavluc

State Regular
The World Cup (Suprising really since Australia got kicked out first round)

The Ipl Commentary and no name India cricketers made it hard for me to be interested.

ret

International Debutant
I feel that there should be some emotional involvement in both to be able to compare both tourneys. Indians fans would have that because they have their IPL teams and the Indian side so would be interesting to see what the Indian fans think

I wouldn't read much in to what the non-Indians have to say because they will be looking at it from an objective PoV, where it's difficult for a domestic tourney to compete with an international one .... If you are coming here to say that a domestic tourney is not of the same quality as a one that involves multiple nations then, I guess, you are wasting your time

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Since India is already out, There is a good chance that Indian fans will be voting for IPL. If we really want to know which tournament Indian fans would prefer, we should look back to their reactions from last year T20 World cup when India won.

Same goes for Aussie fans too. :ph34r:

shivfan

Banned
Kirsten himself said the standard is better in the world 20/20, and I agree with him....

Isn't the IPL too long?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Is it just me or does anyone else (that has watched enough of both tournaments) feel the same way?
IPL could be 1000 times better if they create an ICC window for it which will allow top players from all the countries to play and also if they can remove the 4/5 international player limitation.

I found IPL way more interesting than the current T20.

pasag

RTDAS
IPL could be 1000 times better if they create an ICC window for it which will allow top players from all the countries to play and also if they can remove the 4/5 international player limitation.

I found IPL way more interesting than the current T20.
Yeah, def.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
for indians IPL would be better cuz it's their home tournament. They can follow any team. Whereas for the non indians i guess world t20 would be better. Therefore for me World t20 is far more interesting

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't that just the T20 WC but for longer and with all the countries mixed together?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't that just the T20 WC but for longer and with all the countries mixed together?
No, There are many reasons why IPL is better than T20.

1. It allows some of the players who are either forced to retire or not picked for reasons best known to respective boards to be still part of the game. I so want Wasim Akram to join Chennai SuperKings and show the world that he could be an abolute king of the bowlers in another format even at this age. For me the best part of IPL was watching Hayden demolish the bowlers, something I am forced to miss in Official T20.

2. It gives a chance to players like Gilchrist/Warne to show their leadership skills, something our Cricket Administrators never allowed us to witness in last 20 years.

3. It brings accountability, If you do not perform you are fired, VVS Laxman was removed from captaincy, so were Dravid and Ganguly. John Buchanan is gone and that makes it a lot more competitive.

I can think of more reasons when I have time..

Fusion

Global Moderator
For the simplest reason that I could identify/root for a team, the Twenty20 WC is better. I have a single entity to cheer for and follow, whereas I have none in IPL. I enjoy watching IPL too, but I have no clear favorites and many of the players are simply unknown to me. So Twenty20 WC by a long shot for me.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No, There are many reasons why IPL is better than T20.

1. It allows some of the players who are either forced to retire or not picked for reasons best known to respective boards to be still part of the game. I so want Wasim Akram to join Chennai SuperKings and show the world that he could be an abolute king of the bowlers in another format even at this age. For me the best part of IPL was watching Hayden demolish the bowlers, something I am forced to miss in Official T20.

2. It gives a chance to players like Gilchrist/Warne to show their leadership skills, something our Cricket Administrators never allowed us to witness in last 20 years.

3. It brings accountability, If you do not perform you are fired, VVS Laxman was removed from captaincy, so were Dravid and Ganguly. John Buchanan is gone and that makes it a lot more competitive.

I can think of more reasons when I have time..
Bullett....god to see another poster preaching this...