View Poll Results: Which tournament do you prefer?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • IPL

7 16.67%
  • T20 WC

35 83.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IPL > Twenty20 WC?

Comparing the standard of fielding for both tournaments is like chalk and cheese.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    IPL could be 1000 times better if they create an ICC window for it which will allow top players from all the countries to play and also if they can remove the 4/5 international player limitation.
    Isn't that just the T20 WC but for longer and with all the countries mixed together?

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Isn't that just the T20 WC but for longer and with all the countries mixed together?
    No, There are many reasons why IPL is better than T20.

1. It allows some of the players who are either forced to retire or not picked for reasons best known to respective boards to be still part of the game. I so want Wasim Akram to join Chennai SuperKings and show the world that he could be an abolute king of the bowlers in another format even at this age. For me the best part of IPL was watching Hayden demolish the bowlers, something I am forced to miss in Official T20.

2. It gives a chance to players like Gilchrist/Warne to show their leadership skills, something our Cricket Administrators never allowed us to witness in last 20 years.

3. It brings accountability, If you do not perform you are fired, VVS Laxman was removed from captaincy, so were Dravid and Ganguly. John Buchanan is gone and that makes it a lot more competitive.

I can think of more reasons when I have time..

For the simplest reason that I could identify/root for a team, the Twenty20 WC is better. I have a single entity to cheer for and follow, whereas I have none in IPL. I enjoy watching IPL too, but I have no clear favorites and many of the players are simply unknown to me. So Twenty20 WC by a long shot for me.

1. It allows some of the players who are either forced to retire or not picked for reasons best known to respective boards to be still part of the game. I so want Wasim Akram to join Chennai SuperKings and show the world that he could be an abolute king of the bowlers in another format even at this age. For me the best part of IPL was watching Hayden demolish the bowlers, something I am forced to miss in Official T20.

2. It gives a chance to players like Gilchrist/Warne to show their leadership skills, something our Cricket Administrators never allowed us to witness in last 20 years.

3. It brings accountability, If you do not perform you are fired, VVS Laxman was removed from captaincy, so were Dravid and Ganguly. John Buchanan is gone and that makes it a lot more competitive.

Bullett....god to see another poster preaching this...

IPL had better cheerleaders.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    WC. Get to see it.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Got to say, T20 games are 100 times more fun without the strategy break. Funny thing is, teams have lost momentum anyway after the 10th over without the break in the WC.

World Cup for me by miles. Don't like the franchise-thing and all the hullabooloo about slebs I'd never heard of, reminded me of Big brother, TBH.

The strategy break was just hideous too.

I think if I was Indian I'd of preferred IPL though, as I'd know all the characters on-and-off the pitch, if I could cheer on A James Hildreth or Michael Munday competing against the best in the world, I'd enjoy that.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    I watched both (well, just over half of the IPL) and for me it's the T20 WC every time. No ridiculous annoying 'DLF MAXIMUM'S' and no awful strategic time out half way through the innings to ruin the game. The standard of cricket's higher, and it's been far more exciting than the massively overkilled IPL. 1 other key factor, no bloody Ronnie Irani giving his bull**** opinions in the studio. He single handedly put me off watching the last half of the IPL. Such an annoying human being.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    haha yeah that should put IPL ahead a little...

******** commentators and DLF Maximum and city moment of success counter balance that factor

Enjoyed world T20 more because after a while IPL just seemed drag on for too long and wasn't as exciting as the first season..... i'm sure being back in India... it'll be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    but didn't they show cheerleaders more than the replay of a wicket or a six or a boundry hit?
    Showing them once in 5 overs is ok but not after every hit, it gets boring honestly

I find that too many retired stars makes it more of a 'fun' tournament than a serious one. I guess seeing Hayden is good, but at his own admission, it was retiring that gave him the mental freedom to play that way.

I have a feeling that Cricket Administrators did allow us to see Gilchrist's leadership skills. Didn't he preside over Australia's first test tour win in India in many years? A tour that was probably longer than the IPL, too.

And I think players are dropped/fired if they don't play well in both the IPL and the T20. Although granted, the IPL is probably more ruthless as long-term building of the team is irrelevant as there is a new auction after three years. Therefore development of a player's career isn't so important.

Oh yeah, other reasons for T20WC:

- Pakistani players! Some of the best T20 players unable to play in the IPL for now and maybe for the forseeable future. (I think they're also not in the Champions Leagues this autumn)

- We get to see Mendis playing rather than Moises Henriques!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    For some reason I've enjoyed the IPL so much more than the two T20 world championships. I honestly can't put my finger on it, logic should dictate that with so many better players and without Indian filler the International stuff should be a lot more enjoyable. But for me at least, it hasn't been and I personally find the IPL a lot more engrossing.

Is it just me or does anyone else (that has watched enough of both tournaments) feel the same way?
    1. I think the standard of cricket is obviously much higher here in the WC. However, it's downsides are that it is too short and there is no buildup to the semi final and finals. People who've talked to me on MSN know that I didn't even watch the India games, except tuning in for a few balls here and there. It didn't capture my attention because it wasn't long enough to build any excitement. The standard is excellent, but if they made it four weeks instead of two, I'd have enjoyed it. Obviously the poll suggests that my opinions are in the minority so perhaps the ICC have done it right.
    2. Warne, Hayden, Gilchrist, Symonds for Australia, guys like Kumble for India are head and shoulders above many people playing. So while the overall standard is higher, I'd have loved to see the Haydens and the Gilchrists and Warnes - all of whom are clearly better than anyone in the Aussie side right now, be in. Aussie lineup in this WC didn't do anything for me. Same thing with the Indian line up. I want to see the best of the best even if the overall standard is lower.

With that said, with a few minor changes, WC could certainly be a much superior competition. Actually, what I really want to see is that Champions League. If that takes hold, I would be very excited for it, and would prefer to either the WC or the IPL.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 16-08-2012, 03:13 AM

Thread Information