Congratulations. Wow look at those celebrations .Definitely much needed victory is this. Hope this will give a huge boost for the team .After all what is the fun in the cricket world without fired up Pakistan team.
Boom Boom Afridi!!!
Nice work by YK to bring the side together and get them performing well at the business end of the tournament.
Last edited by Redbacks; 22-06-2009 at 12:08 AM.
WOW Stunning performance from pakistan. Thoroughly deserved it in the end.
Paksistan was clearly the best side on the day. If whole Pakistan team is in right mood it a very easy task for them to beat SL. Then on other hand PAK batsmen did not make a single mistake. There was absolutely no opening for the SL bowlers to put the foot in.
There were few glaring mistakes SL made, which cost them the match. Mainly the selectors are to be blamed not players.
1. Selection of Mubarak and SIlva was questionable. Mubarak at least won us a game, and was trying to score quickly in the rest of the matches. SIlva was totally useless.
2. Indika de Saram was bench warming, who is reagded as a apecialist T20 batsman. Maharoof was also doing the same, and news is that he's not fully fit. Then WTF they taook him to the tournament? Promising Chinthaka Jayasinghe could have made that spot.
3. Matthews cane far too late in every innigs. The final showed what this man is really made up of. Should have batted at #5 after Jayawardane.
4. Isuru UIdana was a liability. Kulasekara could have done a better job.
This tournament had showed few posotove things about SL team.
Sangakkara's captaincy was very good. Dilshan really made a name as an opener. Matthews, has well and truly announced himself. Jayasuriya must go. ODI opening slot should be taken by Matthews, who's the best player of pace after Sangakkara in SL team.
Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)
Congrats Pakistan - we couldn't have lost to a nicer or more deserving bunch!
As for our mob, I was actually stoked with how we played. I didn't rate us as having a snow flakes hope in hell. Moreover, I was one of many that despised the 20/20 format but I'm happy to have been proven wrong.
- Dilshan = Jayasuriya's replacement at the top in all formats.
- Matthews is a find. I don't agree with Migara about him opening - we need his striking at the death for sure. He should be batting 5 or 6.
- Mubarak is still greatest joke played on international cricket. I still think I'm going to wake up one morning and find out that it was all a dream and Jehan Mubarak was a figment of my imagination.
- Silva = done. I thought 20/20 would be the elixer to cure on of our most promising talents. What the hell happened to this guy?
- Mendis needs to come up with some new questions to ask batsmen. Pakistan showed they've got all the answer to what he's got now. He needs also bowl the offspinner more.
- Udana's selection as an all arounder is a diabolical. The guy is not a batsmen. His bowling in 20/20 will be quite handy as he gains more experiance. But ideally Maharoof should have been in the side - we missed the bounce and variation he brings to the attack.
- Malinga is back!
- Sanga's post match speech was awesome, loved that he said a few words in Sinhalese.
Striking power will come from Maharoof. Don't we want our best batsmen playing most of the overs? And people like Tharanga and Udawatta are jokes against good pace. Let Dilshan bash and Matthew consolidate. When Matthews is in he'll be a bitter experience for the bowlers- Matthews is a find. I don't agree with Migara about him opening - we need his striking at the death for sure. He should be batting 5 or 6.
At least he won a match for us. I prefer him for no hopers like Kapugedara or SIlva who crack under pressure. He's more suited for 50 over format, a player who can consolidate. I would still keep himMubarak is still greatest joke played on international cricket. I still think I'm going to wake up one morning and find out that it was all a dream and Jehan Mubarak was a figment of my imagination.
Agreed.Silva = done. I thought 20/20 would be the elixer to cure on of our most promising talents. What the hell happened to this guy?
Have been telling this always, that he needs to make the off break his stock ball. I think his finger is wearing off. With the off break he can learn all the tricks of a finger spinner. Batsmen will be weary of the carrom ball and will be glued to the crease unlike playing an orthadox offspinnerMendis needs to come up with some new questions to ask batsmen. Pakistan showed they've got all the answer to what he's got now. He needs also bowl the offspinner more.
Agreed, but he was injured I am afraid.Udana's selection as an all arounder is a diabolical. The guy is not a batsmen. His bowling in 20/20 will be quite handy as he gains more experiance. But ideally Maharoof should have been in the side - we missed the bounce and variation he brings to the attack.
Yes! Needs Dhammika Prasad to be fit an firing. With Vaas, Matthews, Maharoof, Kulasekara and Thushara, SL fast attack will be some heck of a thing.Malinga is back!
You guys know why Kandamby was dropped for this tournment. I thought he looked good in the ODIs he played. He deserves a decent run, everyone else seems to get one. Kaushal Silva for the last batting spot as well.
Jayasuriya, Dilshan, Silva, Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Mathews, Kandamby - Good balance between stroke players and agressive batsmen.
The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)
Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)
RIP WCC and CW Cricket
Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS
I pretty much agree with Migara and Lionheart...
Udana was shocking at times, even with his magic slower ball -- honestly, how effective is it when it gets used four times an over? Before half the matches, I was reading the teamsheets praying that Kulasekera would be in there.
I wondered what had happened to Maharoof -- if he was indeed not fit enough to take part at all, why have him in the squad? Poor planning there, although we don't know all the facts (e.g. might have got close then aggravated the injury while training).
Chamara Silva had that awesome year or so, but has since gone seriously backwards. There's no way he should have been in our middle order. At least Mubarak tonked it around a bit.
Dilshan has re-invented himself as a batsman. Hopefully his form and confidence will carry over to the longer forms of the game. Mathews has been a revelation too -- after his performances with both bat and ball (and in the field), I'm expecting him to be a solid international all-rounder for the next ten years.
Mendis isn't done yet, but he has been looking more normal. It's telling that Pakistan, arguably the side that's seen most of him, played him without too much trouble.
I can't see Sanath still being there for the next World Cup, so he has to go and let someone younger get some experience. He's still pretty damn good, but his success rate is dropping like a stone.
Sanga's captaincy was, on the whole, excellent. HOWEVER, he has to shoulder some of the blame for Udana and Silva.
Overall, I'm gutted, but glad Pakistan won rather than SA, Australia or India. World cricket is better off with an unpredictably brilliant Pakistan.
Winner of the 4th Cricket Web Battrick Cup
Great win for Pakistan, and for Pakistani cricket. This should put a smile back on the faces of all of us that love the way Pakistan play the game.
As for the result, I have to admit that I expected the Sri Lankans to win as they have been the stand out team for me.
But Pakistan blew them off the park
Yea Udana is a novelty bowler because he relies so much on his slower ball. It was only a matter of time before teams developed a successful strategy against him - surprised it took as long as it did.
Last edited by lionheart; 22-06-2009 at 05:11 AM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)