• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals and Final Discussion

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Duckworth Lewis is the only reason WI beat England. I hope Sri Lanka make it because at least they deserve it.
duckworth lewis may 've been one of the reason (we'll never know) but it's certainly not the reason of westindies reaching semi's, i also had a prob with that revised total, it was a stupidity. How could they give westindies to chase 80 of 9 overs with 10 wickets in hand
for me if west indies had to chase anything in 9 overs, it would 've been 73 to chase with 5 wickets in hand, 3 proper batsmen & 2 bowlers & 1 keeper could bat. Powerplay overs would've been 2.3 or 2.4
that's my calculations
but still we would never know cuz westindies aren't an associate team, they were good enough to chase 160

Briony

International Debutant
It will be interesting to see what happens in the toss at the two London venues. At TB it seems to be a huge factor. Batting second there almost seems a death sentence but that's cricket. Once Pakistan one the toss and posted a chase of 150 it was going to be hard for SA with its lack of early hitters not likely to provide the impetus on a slow pitch which gets slower as the day goes on.

SL probably deserves to win now as they've been consistent though Windies are exciting on their day. Pakistan has been up and down but came good with Afridi, Gul and the luck of the toss.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
It will be interesting to see what happens in the toss at the two London venues. At TB it seems to be a huge factor. Batting second there almost seems a death sentence but that's cricket. Once Pakistan one the toss and posted a chase of 150 it was going to be hard for SA with its lack of early hitters not likely to provide the impetus on a slow pitch which gets slower as the day goes on.

SL probably deserves to win now as they've been consistent though Windies are exciting on their day. Pakistan has been up and down but came good with Afridi, Gul and the luck of the toss.
LUCK OF TOSS? I didn't see it turning more than how it turned in first innings, they only diff was Afridi hit 4 boundries of Botha, therefore Smith didn't bowl him again, although he was their best spin bowler, in South African innings they just didn't play spin welltv

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Meh would be unfortunate if that happened IMO. Sri Lanka have played well, but its incredibly obvious to me that they are a poor batting side, an ordinary fielding side and an extraordinary bowling side. They have superstars with the ball that are currently making up for their deficiencies in all other departments.
Better than minnows, England, India, Pakistan and West Indies.Probably SAF and NZ are better. They are on part with AUS on the field. Fielding was a minor problem for SL since mid 90s.

tooextracool

International Coach
SL's batting is just as good as any of the other sides still left in the tournament with Dilshan at the helm. Not brilliant, but servicable nonetheless.
Perhaps so, not like that says much because WI are also in there based on individual brilliance rather than a team performance.
Pakistan has the best batting card left IMO, possibly the best all round team as well, if they can just maintain their level of play to what its been like the last couple of games they should win. I know who Im supporting for the final.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That's how I feel about the Windies....
:cool:
I'm just happy they reached the semis. If they lose to Sri Lanka, no disgrace. I feel that the WI have already achieved more than what other fans expected of them.
Over here too. Most of SL fans thought SL would not even make the 2nd round after their show in last T20 WC. Even entering semis, fans are happy.

tooextracool

International Coach
That would be pretty close to a sports dictionary definition....
Err the definition of the word choke :

'To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, especially in an athletic contest'

choke - definition of choke by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I fail to see how SA didnt perform effectively. They weren't brilliant, but there's no way that they collectively underperformed during the game. Its not like the 1999 when half their batting failed and Klusener ran someone out.

gvenkat

State Captain
Posting a mere 160 is not 'outplaying your opponent', especially when your opponent has passed that score in three of the four previous games....
:cool:
West Indies will beat the Lankans if they bat first.. Chasing is dicey for Windies. But Windies could do well to get rid of Dilshan and Jaya early and watch them crumble... :)

gvenkat

State Captain

'To fail to perform effectively because of nervous agitation or tension, especially in an athletic contest'

choke - definition of choke by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I fail to see how SA didnt perform effectively. They weren't brilliant, but there's no way that they collectively underperformed during the game. Its not like the 1999 when half their batting failed and Klusener ran someone out.
They lost 4 wickets only.. Why did not they go for the big shots.. Dont tell me that Gul and Ajmal were unplayable. SA were scared and didnt know what to do. THey choked simple.

tooextracool

International Coach
Exactly....

Paksitan had the better strategy for 20/20 cricket. In the six matches that South Africa played in the 20/20 world champs, they only passed 150 twice. That's just not good enough....

SOuth Africa were bailed out by their bowlers several times. Just this once, Afridi took on the Saffer bowlers and won. And once again, the Saffer batsmen were not able to reach 150.
Yeah South Africa had some of the most devastating lower order players in Boucher, Morkel and Van Der Merwe. But none of them got to spend enough time in the middle before the semi final (despite almost half of their games being inconsequential) and they didnt get a chance to bat in the semi final either.

tooextracool

International Coach
Better than minnows, England, India, Pakistan and West Indies.Probably SAF and NZ are better. They are on part with AUS on the field. Fielding was a minor problem for SL since mid 90s.
I would disagree on England, who IMO are a better fielding side with the exception of Broad's lapses and the inability to hit the stumps down. Their groundfielding, catching and wicket-keeping has been as good as any other team this tournament.
Pakistan has been atrocious and are always likely to be with someone like Akmal behind the stumps.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
haha... yeah just like SA did.
I would not think Sl-PAK games had steam rolling that often since 2000. There was steam rolling when Wasim-Waqar sent SL batting packing as well as Jayasuriya - De Silva - Ranatunga taking 2Ws to the cleaners as well. But now such outstanding individual performances are rare from both sides and the players weaknesses and strengths are very familiar to the opposition.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

After 5 overs SA had to score another 111 runs @ under 7.5 with 10 wickets left. It's a very, very generous assessment to say that isn't a choke.

Would be apoplectic if we'd failed from there and we're not the team SA are.