Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raina

Its quite funny when he calls pull is his favourite shot, decent talent though.
    Last edited by Xuhaib; 17-06-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Problem is, I don't see counties lining up to sign him..
    When was the last time an Indian player played in County Cricket and benefited (Not talking monetary benefit) from it ? There are world class batsmen in his own team if he wants to learn it.

State Vice-Captain
    Interesting as I've never ever seen an international batsmen quite that crap against the short ball, he wasn't even ducking, just fending it away with his gloves. He definitely has the reflexes to play it, but as mentioned earlier if you haven't been taught it early as a kid it will be very hard for him to learn now. Basically he needs a LOT of net sessions in a bouncy net with the bowling machine sending down short stuff at 85-90. Needs to build himself a back foot technique from scratch, both defensive and attacking shots. I reckon we should ship him off to the Australian academy and let one of the Chappell brothers loose on him. Even if he was merely adequate on the back foot, he's so strong off the front he could be a useful player. Rohit Sharma needs to tighten his technique, it's got too much off Yuvraj about it with the lazy arm movements.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    When was the last time an Indian player played in County Cricket and benefited (Not talking monetary benefit) from it ? There are world class batsmen in his own team if he wants to learn it.
    Lol @ ignorance, Zaheer Khan's stint at Wocs paved the way for his international come back and improved him as a bowler immeasurably, you could even argue that it won us the series in England in 07. RP Singh improved an awful lot at Leics too, they analysed his biomechanics, stengthened his legs and his core which improved his pace and accuracy.. Even Ganguly said his short stint in CC after being dropped let him adjust his game which made him so much better on his come back.
    Last edited by oitoitoi; 18-06-2009 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    County stint could do him good. A season at a ground like Headingley could be the sort of place he could work out his short ball issues
    Yeah, and I'm sure he'd get a contract if not for stupid ECB rules.

I'm not sure if he even practices the hook in net practice.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Problem is, I don't see counties lining up to sign him..
    I'm all for having up to 3 foreigners per county team personally. County cricket is dire and any foreign talent would be welcomed.

Imagine the Premier League (football) with predominantely English players.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Its quite funny when he calls pull is his favourite shot, decent talent though.
    The thing is, he's good with the ball under his eyeline but when it's level (or close to level) he seems to panic.
    All-Time Test XI:
    Gavaskar, Boycott, Tendulkar, G.Pollock, V.Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist (wk), Warne (c), Waqar/Wasim, Lillee, Ambrose.

Banned
    Zaheer Khan? Now Chawla?

Zaheer definitely benefitted from County Cricket
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    There is no coaching academy in the world like county cricket. World class players, experts, support staff. And you get to bowl and bat. A lot.

Players like RP Singh had simple things wrong. He had a weakness in the upper thigh, which was fixed with the appropriate strength regimen - why couldn't an Indian coach have noticed that? Because Indian state boards hire people to pay back favors, not the people best qualified. And Zaheer is a miles better bowler after his stint with Worcestershire.

Players do not make the best coaches, and they may not know anything about fitness (especially the Indian team), biomechanics, etc. I firmly believe that county cricket is one of the best things any young player can do, in terms of his career. The resources and training you get is second to none. The WI bowlers of the past used it as a finishing school, and for good reason.

It's too bad there is no formal relationship to exchange players between first class teams around the world. I think it would do everyone a lot of good.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    There is no coaching academy in the world like county cricket. World class players, experts, support staff. And you get to bowl and bat. A lot.

Players like RP Singh had simple things wrong. He had a weakness in the upper thigh, which was fixed with the appropriate strength regimen - why couldn't an Indian coach have noticed that? Because Indian state boards hire people to pay back favors, not the people best qualified. And Zaheer is a miles better bowler after his stint with Worcestershire.

Players do not make the best coaches, and they may not know anything about fitness (especially the Indian team), biomechanics, etc. I firmly believe that county cricket is one of the best things any young player can do, in terms of his career. The resources and training you get is second to none. The WI bowlers of the past used it as a finishing school, and for good reason.

It's too bad there is no formal relationship to exchange players between first class teams around the world. I think it would do everyone a lot of good.
    I hope Piyush Chawla improves his game too. Would be a good option to have for test matches when Bhajji retires. After Bhajji leaves the test side, this would be the bowling attack:

Mohnish Parmar
    Amit Mishra

Back up: Piyush Chawla, Pragyan Ojha.

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    I hope Piyush Chawla improves his game too. Would be a good option to have for test matches when Bhajji retires. After Bhajji leaves the test side, this would be the bowling attack:

Mohnish Parmar
    Amit Mishra

Back up: Piyush Chawla, Pragyan Ojha.
    Parmar... isn't that the guy with a dodgy action ?

haven't seen him bowl but from all report.. his action is pretty bad.

Rumored to be a Murali clone. Has an action that resembles Murali's or so I heard.

http://cricketnext.in.com/news/the-c.../37636-13.html
    Last edited by Shri; 21-06-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information