Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 62

Thread: India needs to introspect

  1. #31
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Tendulkar should have been picked. His assured presence at the top could have countered ENG bouncer tactic & everyone could have batted around him.
    They should have called Farookh too, Didn't even need to buy his ticket.

  2. #32
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Just found out India are out (been that sort of night/day). I don't think a big deal should be made of it, they were a bit sluggish, a bit out of form and lost their best player. Not to mention it's the nature of the shortened format that this can happen. I think major changes will only hurt a growing team more, although I can't disagree with ret's continuous improvement stance as long as it's nothing drastic.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  3. #33
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    At times, I don't think we should read too much into a tournament that's only two weeks long, and where one bad match results in an elimination. T20 seems a blink-and-miss style of cricket, with no room for a let-up at all.Raina is no more a #3 in T20, when the same plan works against him twice and claims him cheaply twice.
    Dhoni is not exactly better against the same type of bowling.


    The point is, confidence and form tend to overcome lots of deficiencies. There is a good chance that he would have been found out at 3 anyways but he was shuffled down, his form went down, his rhythm went out and then suddenly he was back at 3 for the crucial games and looked lost.


    Even if Raina had failed at 3, had he been batting at 3 all along, at least it could be put down to inability. Now, it is inability plus incompetent captaincy...
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  4. #34
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,294
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Dhoni is not exactly better against the same type of bowling.


    The point is, confidence and form tend to overcome lots of deficiencies. There is a good chance that he would have been found out at 3 anyways but he was shuffled down, his form went down, his rhythm went out and then suddenly he was back at 3 for the crucial games and looked lost.


    Even if Raina had failed at 3, had he been batting at 3 all along, at least it could be put down to inability. Now, it is inability plus incompetent captaincy...
    That is no excuse. Raina is no fresh youngster in this team. In fact, he's an established batsman and should make that adjustment. He looked completely out of sorts and then played an out-of-turn shot to get out. Dhoni isn't a technical genius, but he's a lot smarter, although he seemed unusually subdued when he came out to bat- though a rush of wickets can do such a thing.

    Frankly, some of the picks in the squad didn't deserve to be there. Ravi Jadeja is a complete misfit in this form of the game, with bat and ball. Pragyan Ojha doesn't add much value apart from his bowling; both Amit Mishra and Yusuf Pathan are better, well-rounded options. Dinesh Karthik scores in bits and pieces, and only one fifty in the IPL, which doesn't inspire any confidence. Rahane and Badrinath were better, while T20 centurion Manish Pandey should have played.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

    Twenty20 used to be boring.

    Sponsored...by...nothing!!!


  5. #35
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,294
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Just found out India are out (been that sort of night/day). I don't think a big deal should be made of it, they were a bit sluggish, a bit out of form and lost their best player. Not to mention it's the nature of the shortened format that this can happen. I think major changes will only hurt a growing team more, although I can't disagree with ret's continuous improvement stance as long as it's nothing drastic.
    Unfortunately, there were drastic changes since the last event. Some changes (getting in Raina and Ishant ahead of Robin and Joginder/Sreesanth) were forced, but some others were needless. They had first benched one T20 hero from last season (fine, RP Singh isn't that great, but he didn't deserve to be benched) and then dropped another top T20 player (Irfan has his problems, but he's still one of the best for T20) for a key match. There was also the baffling selection of two left-arm spinners who were nothing special, and added little to their places in the team. While a few problems couldn't be helped, the least they could do is stick to their best tea, but we hardly saw that. The lack of specialist batting options was another factor, as they were reduced to just four at one point of time, but this T20 has thrown up a new weakness of this team- the lack of consistent big shots.

  6. #36
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    one good point for me abt India's exit is that I will be able to follow the rest of the games from a neutral perspective and enjoy good cricket
    Fastest gun in town

  7. #37
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    Nassir Hussain to Harsha Bhogle in the commentary box after India's exit "No matter what you say in the end it is the technical inadequacy to play the rising ball that cost India"

    He summed it up nicely. I wonder if he writes columns.

  8. #38
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    So what is Gary Doing in the team apart from playing Poker with rest of his crew ?

  9. #39
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    So what is Gary Doing in the team apart from playing Poker with rest of his crew ?
    I dunno.. No one was giving him too much credit when we did well either.


    At the moment, he is being a backroom boy, letting all of the spotlight on Dhoni and the rest of the team. When they did well, they were glorified. When they have played poorly (as they have done now), they are being pilloried. I don't understand what the problem with Kirsten is here.... He is being consistent in being out of the spotlight...


    And if Dhoni can take the praises, he gotta take the criticisms too. You are being completely unfair here... Plus, if Dhoni's excuse is that as a captain, he can have bad games and tourneys, the same can happen to the coach too.


    It is not juz Gary btw, Venky and Robin are there too plus the medical staff.

  10. #40
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    So what is Gary Doing in the team apart from playing Poker with rest of his crew ?
    Most of us don't know, which is fine. Really, the only praise or criticism of Kirsten at this stage should come out of a proper coaching review done by the BCCI.

  11. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Smithsonian
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    So what is Gary Doing in the team apart from playing Poker with rest of his crew ?
    Err.. coaching for a change?

  12. #42
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I dunno.. No one was giving him too much credit when we did well either.


    At the moment, he is being a backroom boy, letting all of the spotlight on Dhoni and the rest of the team. When they did well, they were glorified. When they have played poorly (as they have done now), they are being pilloried. I don't understand what the problem with Kirsten is here.... He is being consistent in being out of the spotlight...


    And if Dhoni can take the praises, he gotta take the criticisms too. You are being completely unfair here... Plus, if Dhoni's excuse is that as a captain, he can have bad games and tourneys, the same can happen to the coach too.


    It is not juz Gary btw, Venky and Robin are there too plus the medical staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Most of us don't know, which is fine. Really, the only praise or criticism of Kirsten at this stage should come out of a proper coaching review done by the BCCI.
    Hahaha, Don't worry I was not blaming him or Dhoni for the loss. I think India played competitive cricket in this series and lost two close games because some poor decisions from its captain.

    My question was directed at the new perception (or fact) that "it is the technical inadequacy to play the rising ball that cost India", well in that case it has been a year and half since Gary took over, why have they not recognized this shortcoming yet ?

  13. #43
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    wasn't it WI who exposed that on June 12th!

  14. #44
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    Indian misery ends with 3 loses in a row .... Would like some of the guys to rested for the WI tour, which would also give them an opportunity to analyze their games

    my recommendation for the squad

    openers: Rohit, Panday, Vijay
    other batsmen: Yuvi, Badri, YP, Karthik
    pacers: RP, Praveen, IP, Nehra, Munaf
    spinners: ojha and mishra
    15th place: jadeja / another wk like Saha / Virat Kohli / ?

  15. #45
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,294
    Now, after a public apology by Dhoni, the team management, particularly Gary Kirsten, started the excuse-o-matic before this match, blaming IPL fatigue on their below-par performance here. Then how was South Africa doing so much better? Or Sri Lanka? Both teams had all their top players in the IPL and they're doing well here. The result of Delhi and Punjab crashing out and Deccan winning the IPL was a bigger factor than any fatigue.

    The Indians (batsmen in particular) were less than dire throughout the IPL, and that has showed here too. It is difficult to comment on the bowling, as they did well, though let down by fielding and field placings, but Zaheer and Ishant not being in form in England was a factor. The batting, however, looks completely misfit in T20, lacking technique, power, innovation and intelligence. Strategies were also weird, but when your best T20 players are on the bench, you're out of it.

    And there's Yusuf Pathan. Tipped as one of the best T20 players around, Dhoni has relegated him far back into the sidelines, when he can contribute so much to this team.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* India in Sri Lanka
    By Travis_Teh in forum World Cricket
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 03:15 AM
  2. **Official** India In West Indies
    By dossa in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 275
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 03:00 PM
  3. ***Official*** India in England
    By adharcric in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7690
    Last Post: 15-09-2007, 10:09 PM
  4. South Africa Vs India
    By lord_of_darkness in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 29-09-2002, 04:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •