Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broad's pointing tactics need clarity - Smith

Banned

Broad's pointing tactics need clarity - Smith

Broad's pointing antics "needs clarity" - Smith | Cricket Features | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

I wish he really learnt from his last 2 T20 games and stop acting like a ****.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Broad bashing as popular as Ponting bashing it would seem
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

School Boy/Girl Captain longtom's Avatar
    "The spirit of the game" - There is no such thing, I am afraid. If there ever was I leave to discuss for the oldtimers.

On the other hand - if Broad needs to resort to antics like that, one might think he can only keep himself going with tricks...and in the midst of the present England 20/20 team, this is not what you want people think of you...

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Ah, it's good to have Fat Gray back to his carping, whingey best. Looked in danger of growing up at times last year.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Broad bashing as popular as Ponting bashing it would seem
    Unlike Ponting, the bashing often happens on the field, am afraid.

Jason Gillespie got told off for his chicken wing thingy and this seems to be along similar lines. What next, Warnie giving a moon as he trundles in?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpers_Ghost View Post
    Jason Gillespie got told off for his chicken wing thingy and this seems to be along similar lines. What next, Warnie giving a moon as he trundles in?
    Jason's was atleast pretentious on the face of it. Problem with Broad's antic is that batsmen might actually be misled to believing the guy is pointing to a fielder. I am sure he will stop the same if batsmen pull out of playing such deliveries.

When asked whether Broad's pointing was against the spirit of the game, Paul Collingwood defended his bowler and said he was not going to ask Broad to stop doing it. "The game is moving on. People are coming up with different techniques with the bat, different fielding techniques," Collingwood said. "We saw what happened the other day with the Sri Lankan fielder, jumping outside the boundary and knocking it back in. We're seeing things audiences have not seen before. As long as it's within the spirit … people are going to find different ways to unsettle batsmen."

How on Earth is Broad's pointing anyway similar to Matthews jumping in the air and saving the six vs. WI? Not even a comparative situation.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    When asked whether Broad's pointing was against the spirit of the game, Paul Collingwood defended his bowler and said he was not going to ask Broad to stop doing it. "The game is moving on. People are coming up with different techniques with the bat, different fielding techniques," Collingwood said. "We saw what happened the other day with the Sri Lankan fielder, jumping outside the boundary and knocking it back in. We're seeing things audiences have not seen before. As long as it's within the spirit … people are going to find different ways to unsettle batsmen."

How on Earth is Broad's pointing anyway similar to Matthews jumping in the air and saving the six vs. WI? Not even a comparative situation.
    Yeah Crawlingwood has completely got the analogy wrong there like much of his captaincy. I reckon Owais shah is po[ularly hugely underrated as a captain/

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Is there a video of this pointing incident anywhere? Aside from the sportmanship angle, it seems a pretty lame tactic that isn't likely to work after the first time if at all. I wonder if Broad will try it against Yuvraj.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Broad's a bit of a tit on the field when he doesn't get his own way TBH. Not a fave of some folks with some names for him when he does it.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    Broad's a bit of a tit on the field when he doesn't get his own way TBH. Not a fave of some folks with some names for him when he does it.
    He'll be interesting to watch this summer then

Sounds like a strange thing to do, but I say that without having seen it. Is it his version of the 'Wait, look at that' before stealing someone's chocolate?

As someone said before, batsmen pulling away and making him go back to his mark a few times should nip it in the bud nicely.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

ICC warn Broad...

"The ICC has requested England fast bowler Stuart Broad not to repeat his controversial attempts to distract a batsman as displayed during the Super Eights match against South Africa."

"Graeme Smith, the South African captain, had said the matter needed clarification. His view appeared to be supported by Law 42.4 of the Laws of Cricket, which states: "It is unfair for any member of the fielding side deliberately to attempt to distract the striker while he is preparing to receive or receiving a delivery."

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Not defending Broad here, but I saw the game and didn't even notice him doing it. Can't recall the comms mentioning it either.

Impressively swift response from the ICC tho, in fairness. Least we know where we stand now.

Banned
    Very good stuff from the ICC.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information