• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Broad's pointing tactics need clarity - Smith

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
"The spirit of the game" - There is no such thing, I am afraid. If there ever was I leave to discuss for the oldtimers.

On the other hand - if Broad needs to resort to antics like that, one might think he can only keep himself going with tricks...and in the midst of the present England 20/20 team, this is not what you want people think of you...:huh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ah, it's good to have Fat Gray back to his carping, whingey best. Looked in danger of growing up at times last year.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Jason Gillespie got told off for his chicken wing thingy and this seems to be along similar lines. What next, Warnie giving a moon as he trundles in?

Smith

Banned
Jason Gillespie got told off for his chicken wing thingy and this seems to be along similar lines. What next, Warnie giving a moon as he trundles in?
Jason's was atleast pretentious on the face of it. Problem with Broad's antic is that batsmen might actually be misled to believing the guy is pointing to a fielder. I am sure he will stop the same if batsmen pull out of playing such deliveries.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
When asked whether Broad's pointing was against the spirit of the game, Paul Collingwood defended his bowler and said he was not going to ask Broad to stop doing it. "The game is moving on. People are coming up with different techniques with the bat, different fielding techniques," Collingwood said. "We saw what happened the other day with the Sri Lankan fielder, jumping outside the boundary and knocking it back in. We're seeing things audiences have not seen before. As long as it's within the spirit … people are going to find different ways to unsettle batsmen."

How on Earth is Broad's pointing anyway similar to Matthews jumping in the air and saving the six vs. WI? Not even a comparative situation.

Smith

Banned
When asked whether Broad's pointing was against the spirit of the game, Paul Collingwood defended his bowler and said he was not going to ask Broad to stop doing it. "The game is moving on. People are coming up with different techniques with the bat, different fielding techniques," Collingwood said. "We saw what happened the other day with the Sri Lankan fielder, jumping outside the boundary and knocking it back in. We're seeing things audiences have not seen before. As long as it's within the spirit … people are going to find different ways to unsettle batsmen."

How on Earth is Broad's pointing anyway similar to Matthews jumping in the air and saving the six vs. WI? Not even a comparative situation.
Yeah Crawlingwood has completely got the analogy wrong there like much of his captaincy. I reckon Owais shah is po[ularly hugely underrated as a captain/

Dissector

International Debutant
Is there a video of this pointing incident anywhere? Aside from the sportmanship angle, it seems a pretty lame tactic that isn't likely to work after the first time if at all. I wonder if Broad will try it against Yuvraj.:ph34r:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Broad's a bit of a tit on the field when he doesn't get his own way TBH. Not a fave of some folks with some names for him when he does it.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Broad's a bit of a tit on the field when he doesn't get his own way TBH. Not a fave of some folks with some names for him when he does it.
He'll be interesting to watch this summer then :happy:

Sounds like a strange thing to do, but I say that without having seen it. Is it his version of the 'Wait, look at that' before stealing someone's chocolate?

As someone said before, batsmen pulling away and making him go back to his mark a few times should nip it in the bud nicely.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
ICC warn Broad...

"The ICC has requested England fast bowler Stuart Broad not to repeat his controversial attempts to distract a batsman as displayed during the Super Eights match against South Africa."

"Graeme Smith, the South African captain, had said the matter needed clarification. His view appeared to be supported by Law 42.4 of the Laws of Cricket, which states: "It is unfair for any member of the fielding side deliberately to attempt to distract the striker while he is preparing to receive or receiving a delivery."

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not defending Broad here, but I saw the game and didn't even notice him doing it. Can't recall the comms mentioning it either.

Impressively swift response from the ICC tho, in fairness. Least we know where we stand now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Saw Haq from Scotland doing the Aldo shuffle when bowling last week, presumably that would fall under the same law then

Briony

International Debutant
Ah, it's good to have Fat Gray back to his carping, whingey best. Looked in danger of growing up at times last year.
I like the euphemisms of the British press saying that both Kallis and Smith have filled out with the growing years. Let's be honest, they've got fat.

Had Smith have bashed Broad around, I wonder if he would have complained.

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
Had Smith have bashed Broad around, I wonder if he would have complained.
He did complain? Or did the press approach him to get something controversial out of him? And did just give a plain and honest answer?

Oh - no he didn't bash Broad arround but he scored more than all but one English player in that game and he is the captain of the only team winning 6 20/20 matches in a row.

What is your point exactly? :huh:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure what the complaining about Smith is about here. Sounds like Broad tried something stupid and he got warned. Simple really.