• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Broad's pointing tactics need clarity - Smith

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed, dont understand it. Probably because I dont have anything against baby faced pretty boys. But then I have been holding a flag for the boy since I saw him on the Eng tour of NZ a couple of years ago. He is a very good prospect with, as the Australians say, a lot of ticker. England could use more players like him.
100% agree.

I think some of the flack is from people who had previously written him off and can't cope with him looking like proving them wrong. In other cases, there's blatant double standards afaics - like there's never been any kids with attitude from any other parts of the world? Spare me ....

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he's great, I don't know why people are complaining about him. I hope we see him for many many years to come. FEC IMO.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Broad really is a complete arse at the moment, someone needs to have a word.
Tell him to improve his Test average to something respectable and actually perform against a half-decent team before he decides to open his mouth.

Also, people don't like him, because he looks like a girl, he runs into bowl like he has a stick up his arse and most likely got choosen ahead of others because of his last name. Can't quite understand why this hack gets chosen over Hoggard.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
100% agree.

I think some of the flack is from people who had previously written him off and can't cope with him looking like proving them wrong.
Hardly. People can argue that the hate for Hayden, Ponting, KP and Symonds often has to do with them actually being good.

But Broad's recently got an ego despite having a few good performances. In that time he's choked his team to a loss vs. Netherlands.

If that's proving people wrong and making them look like fools, hate to see what happens if he actually bowls well consistently :ph34r:

He bowled well last night, but he acted like a dickhead on the last ball when he tried to be a smartarse running from the non-striker's end.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well the hate for Hayden, Ponting & Symonds obviously is because they are good. Broad plays to win. He does need to cool his attitude a little with regard to dissent, respecting the umpires etc. But as with Pietersen, he doesn't seem to want to tolerate losing, and as I keep saying, that's a player I want in my team.

Smith

Banned
100% agree.

I think some of the flack is from people who had previously written him off and can't cope with him looking like proving them wrong. In other cases, there's blatant double standards afaics - like there's never been any kids with attitude from any other parts of the world? Spare me ....
A test average bordering on the 40 is a start perhaps?

I previously had no qualms about him, even a bit of sympathetic affection for him, post the mauling he got in 2007 T20 WC. I actually applauded his guts to put the episode behind him and continue his development as a good fast bowler.

But things started to go wrong when somehow this guy started becoming ****y. I can understand if he gets ****y for the right reasons and actually have the figures to back him up, but he does not have. I am afraid heis going the Sreesanth path and hence the hate. Nobody hates Sidebottom despite his antics because he puts in lion hearted efforts, and does not come out of it any worse for his attitude.

Smith

Banned
Well the hate for Hayden, Ponting & Symonds obviously is because they are good. Broad plays to win. He does need to cool his attitude a little with regard to dissent, respecting the umpires etc. But as with Pietersen, he doesn't seem to want to tolerate losing, and as I keep saying, that's a player I want in my team.
Replace Broad with Sreesanth above and you get an idea why people hate Broad.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Sreesanth destroyed South Africa though and had a bowling average in the mid 20's though at one point. What's Broad done? Career average is close to 40 and has only performed ok against the West Indies & New Zealand, both of which are 2 of the weakest teams in world cricket. New Zealand have no classy batsman in there team and the West Indies of the present would get beaten by Zimbabwe of 1990s-2003 and many refer to Zimbabwe as 'minnows', so yeah. Atleast Sreesanth did something in Test Cricket, unlike Broad who has done ok against weak opposition.

How long are England going to persist with Broad? Coming into the 5th Test of the Ashes and England have already lost the series and Broad is still averaging over 40? What are they gonna do?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Broad comes accross as immature, petulant, spoilt & ****y. He's becoming a good player and deserves his place in all forms at the moment, but he still needs to grow up.

Has no-one but himself to blame for the criticism he gets because of his behaviour. Some of the criticism he gets on here for performance is over the top.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I must see things differently to most people. Some of my favourite players to watch: Shane Watson, Justin Langer, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Fidel Edwards, Jimmy Anderson, Brett Lee. I think they're great, but mostly people on here complain about them.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I think I must see things differently to most people. Some of my favourite players to watch: Shane Watson, Justin Langer, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Fidel Edwards, Jimmy Anderson, Brett Lee. I think they're great, but mostly people on here complain about them.
Never really understand the criticism of Shane Watson either, TBH.

World Cricket

Cricket Spectator
But Broad's recently got an ego despite having a few good performances. In that time he's choked his team to a loss vs. Netherlands.
As nasser hussein said, Broad is a winner and it is much better he attempted to throw the ball against the dutch because he believed in himself. I think all you haters will be proved wrong in time. Flintoff had a shocking test bowling average at the same point of his career and now I'm sure everybody would agree he is one of the best bowlers in test cricket.

I love Ishant Sharma but I would never say his youthfulness enthusiasm is misdirected (just like Broad's).

King Pietersen

International Captain
Tell him to improve his Test average to something respectable and actually perform against a half-decent team before he decides to open his mouth.
He didn't open his mouth. He pointed whilst running in. A tactic that has been employed by many fast bowlers of the modern era. Darren Gough used to run in with his tongue out, with his hand over his face all sorts of stuff and Shaun Pollock also used to use a similar pointing tactic to Broad. Guess slagging Broady off is just the in thing atm, don't really think he's done anything wrong tbh, no difference to the batsman feining a reverse sweep to put the bowler off.

Also, people don't like him, because he looks like a girl, he runs into bowl like he has a stick up his arse and most likely got choosen ahead of others because of his last name. Can't quite understand why this hack gets chosen over Hoggard.
Probably because Hoggard's a very poor OD bowler, and doesn't even get a look in in the Yorkshire T20 side.

Smith

Banned
He didn't open his mouth. He pointed whilst running in. A tactic that has been employed by many fast bowlers of the modern era. Darren Gough used to run in with his tongue out, with his hand over his face all sorts of stuff and Shaun Pollock also used to use a similar pointing tactic to Broad. Guess slagging Broady off is just the in thing atm, don't really think he's done anything wrong tbh, no difference to the batsman feining a reverse sweep to put the bowler off.

Probably because Hoggard's a very poor OD bowler, and doesn't even get a look in in the Yorkshire T20 side.
Myopia much? What about his constant whingeing and complaining with the umpires when wided or noballed genuinelly?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't understand the over-reaction about young guys starting out with high bowling averages. It's only 12 months ago that everyone was getting hysterical about Mitchell Johnson averaging 35. So Stuart Broad averages 38 in tests? He's improving all the time and he's only 22 years old which is very young for an English quick. I'm not saying in 12 months time he's necessarily going to be as good as Mitchell Johnson is now, but it's hardly outside the realms of possibility.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, but as noted in an earlier thread some months ago, he looks effeminate.

Nothing wrong with that of course, I mean he's only following on from the English Sporting Icon that is David Beckham (sadly mimickery which seems to have been picked up by several of our own players), but it's not a look conducive to on-pitch aggro and intimidation.

Smith

Banned
Age should be no excuse in test cricket. I don’t think many teams would accommodate a 22 year old bowler who is averaging 40 after 16 test matches today. Or if it indeed does, it is more due to lack of quality options. Test cricket is not a training ground. FC system exists for that. If Broad is excused as he is “growing” despite a poor record in test cricket, then England are doing two things wrong. 1, By giving Broad an extended run despite his record, they are instilling in him misplaced confidence that he is undroppable and 2. By retaining him despite a poor record, another worthy player is losing out. It is not as if Broad has had brilliant promising spells like Ishant Sharma had in Australia, to merit continued selection despite poor returns.
Statutory Broad Basher declaration : He indeed is good in ODI cricket that said.