Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70

Thread: Twenty20 World XI

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,769

    Twenty20 World XI

    I've just done quite a long search and am surprised that nothing of this effect has been discussed of late. It's possibly a suggestion that the format hasn't been taken seriously enough yet to merit one - but amidst the present shenanigans I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think.

    My XI
    +BB McCullum
    CH Gayle
    KP Pietersen
    Yuvraj Singh
    AB de Villiers
    BJ Hodge
    A Morkel
    *DL Vettori
    BAW Mendis
    SL Malinga
    DW Steyn
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  2. #2
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,826
    Gautham Gambir
    Chris Gayle
    JP Duminy
    Ab de Villiers
    Andrew Symonds
    David Hussey
    MS Dhoni [Wk / C]
    Albie Morkel
    Daniel Vettori
    Umar Gul
    Lasith Malinga
    Last edited by Shri; 10-06-2009 at 04:28 AM.

  3. #3
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,127
    I'd dispute Pietersen's place in the side, he's been average in the format in general. Though maybe he just cba, as he was sublime on Sunday. Hard to argue with the rest and I don't know who I would have in instead of KP.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  4. #4
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,826
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I'd dispute Pietersen's place in the side, he's been average in the format in general. Though maybe he just cba, as he was sublime on Sunday. Hard to argue with the rest and I don't know who I would have in instead of KP.
    Symonds would be a good option.


  5. #5
    School Boy/Girl Captain nz0003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    195
    Ross Taylor has been making runs regulary lately in T20's.

  6. #6
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Off the top of my head of people still playing the game:

    Hayden
    Gilchrist
    Sehwag
    AB
    Symonds
    Raina
    Hodge
    Vettori
    Tanvir
    Malinga
    Nannes

    Would like to fit Yusuf in there somewhere.
    Last edited by pasag; 10-06-2009 at 04:38 AM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  7. #7
    First Class Debutant Naumaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    820
    My XI would be
    1.Imran Nazir
    2.Chris Gyle
    3.Kevin Pietersen
    4.AB Deviliars
    5.Yuvraj Singh
    6.B Mcculum (WK)
    7.Afridi (Spin bowler)
    8.Dyle Styen
    9.Umer Gul
    10.Danial Vetori (spin bowler)
    11.L Malinga

    5 front line bowlers & 5 batsmen
    that's what i think a team combination should be

  8. #8
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Naumaan View Post
    My XI would be
    1.Imran Nazir
    2.Chris Gyle
    3.Kevin Pietersen
    4.AB Deviliars
    5.Yuvraj Singh
    6.B Mcculum (WK)
    7.Afridi (Spin bowler)
    8.Dyle Styen
    9.Umer Gul
    10.Danial Vetori (spin bowler)
    11.L Malinga

    5 front line bowlers & 5 batsmen
    that's what i think a team combination should be
    Vettori batting at 10? =/

    Should switch Vettori's and Steyn's places imo.

  9. #9
    First Class Debutant Naumaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    820
    No, actually i just made a list of 11 players. Forgot to name captain, i would go for Vetori to be the captain of my side

  10. #10
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Naumaan View Post
    No, actually i just made a list of 11 players. Forgot to name captain, i would go for Vetori to be the captain of my side
    Oh, okay. Good side.

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    I've just done quite a long search and am surprised that nothing of this effect has been discussed of late. It's possibly a suggestion that the format hasn't been taken seriously enough yet to merit one - but amidst the present shenanigans I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think.

    My XI
    +BB McCullum
    CH Gayle
    KP Pietersen
    Yuvraj Singh
    AB de Villiers
    BJ Hodge
    A Morkel
    *DL Vettori
    BAW Mendis
    SL Malinga
    DW Steyn
    Symonds is the best T20 player in the world, but i guess he doesn't really count. I wouldn't pick KP either, he's done next to nothing in the format. At least one of Gambhir/Sehwag/Taylor/Warner have to be the option.

    Besides that, i'm trying to find a way to improve your fifth bowler. Could maybe fit in Afridi, van der Merwe or Flintoff in place of Morkel or Hodge.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  12. #12
    School Boy/Girl Captain nz0003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Symonds is the best T20 player in the world, but i guess he doesn't really count. I wouldn't pick KP either, he's done next to nothing in the format. At least one of Gambhir/Sehwag/Taylor/Warner have to be the option.

    Besides that, i'm trying to find a way to improve your fifth bowler. Could maybe fit in Afridi, van der Merwe or Flintoff in place of Morkel or Hodge.
    4 overs between Morkel, Gayle, Hodge and even Yuvraj isn't too bad.

  13. #13
    International Regular King Pietersen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    3,992
    1. Chris Gayle
    2. Matthew Hayden
    3. Yuvraj Singh
    4. AB De Villiers
    5. Andrew Symonds
    6. MS Dhoni + *
    7. Roelof Van Der Merwe
    8. Daniel Vettori
    9. Dale Steyn
    10. Umar Gul
    11. Lasith Malinga
    www.proudtofight.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    38.3
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    42.6
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

  14. #14
    International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    4,696
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    1. Chris Gayle
    2. Matthew Hayden
    3. Yuvraj Singh
    4. AB De Villiers
    5. Andrew Symonds
    6. MS Dhoni + *
    7. Roelof Van Der Merwe
    8. Daniel Vettori
    9. Dale Steyn
    10. Umar Gul
    11. Lasith Malinga
    Steyn, Van Der Merwe, and Yuvraj?

    Pretty average picks really.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

  15. #15
    International Regular Steulen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Clydeside Cloggie
    Posts
    3,189
    Brendon McCullum
    Chris Gayle
    Virender Sehwag
    Ross Taylor
    Kumar Sangakkara
    MS Dhoni
    Shahid Afridi (in as specialist bowler)
    Daniel Vettori
    Dale Steyn
    Nuwan Kulasekara
    Dirk Nannes


    A long tail perhaps, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem with that top-6. They can bang each other over the heads to select a wicket-keeper and a captain, there's more than enough of them in the line-up.
    Last edited by Steulen; 10-06-2009 at 06:30 AM.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CricketWeb Tennis - Season I
    By SirBloody Idiot in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 2579
    Last Post: 15-12-2009, 02:33 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 01:47 PM
  3. County Cricket (Season XIII-XIV)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 236
    Last Post: 14-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •