• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F - Ireland, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

Lostman

State Captain
Can someone smarter than me list what needs to happen for EACH team to advance? Meaning who they have to beat and by how much?
As long as Pak beat Ireland they go on. (10 runs/ or a win with 1-2 overs should do it)
Just to have a higher NRR than SL, since they are soo close now, even a narrow margin win against Ireland would do it.
And then the winner of the NZ/SL game also advances.

Fusion

Global Moderator
As long as Pak beat Ireland they go on. (10 runs/ or a win with 1-2 overs should do it)
Just to have a higher NRR than SL, since they are soo close now, even a narrow margin win against Ireland would do it.
And then the winner of the NZ/SL game also advances.
Got it, thanks! :thumbsup:

Dissector

International Debutant
In fact all Pakistan needs to do is to beat Ireland. They already have a higher NRR than Sri Lanka so they don't need to worry about run rate at all.

SL screwed up big time against Ireland. They needed to get a big win to get their NRR significantly above Pakistan. Since they play the last game in the group they would have the advantage of knowing exactly what they need to go through even if they lost to NZ. Now they have to win to go through.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In fact all Pakistan needs to do is to beat Ireland. They already have a higher NRR than Sri Lanka so they don't need to worry about run rate at all.

SL screwed up big time against Ireland. They needed to get a big win to get their NRR significantly above Pakistan. Since they play the last game in the group they would have the advantage of knowing exactly what they need to go through even if they lost to NZ. Now they have to win to go through.
Hardly "screwed up big time", they don't have a God-given right to stuff us by 50+ runs every time we play. They played pretty well against a decent side having a good day and got the result they needed.

Sirhail

Cricket Spectator
fantastic performance form ireland.

really took it too the sri lankans.

sadly i dont think pakistan will take them lightly due to their performances this world cup and that memorable win they got over pakistan 2 years ago.

but im sure tehy are gonna give pakistan a gr8 match

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As you're an Aussie (after a fasion :ph34r:), I'll pick on you: what was Johnston's Grade record like, do you know?
Sorry, I went to bed after that post I made and watched the replay of the game this morning. :p

His record for Norths was excellent. New South Wales certainly didn't have a shortage of quicks throughout his career or he certainly would have got more of a run early on; he was pretty unlucky. He actually got a few games in the Shield the season before he left for Ireland, but he didn't do very well and was subsequently not offered a contract (or "selected in the full-time squad" or whatever they actually did back in 1999 :p) for the following season. I think he kept coming back to Sydney to play for Norths in the Australian summer for a few years, but it was not meant to be.

He seems a pretty strong character mentally, but he was always a bit inconsistent for whatever reason. He still is for Ireland really, especially in limited overs cricket.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah. Cusack>Johnston at the death.
I wouldn't go that far - I'd say they'd probably have similar success at the death, particularly against full members. Johnston > Cusack at any stage except for the death though, so comparative advantage rules.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I wouldn't go that far - I'd say they'd probably have similar success at the death against full members. Johnston > Cusack at any stage except for the death though, so comparative advantage rules.
Yeah, that's kinda what i meant.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, that's kinda what i meant.
Ahh fair enough, so it was more a case of you saying "Cusack is a better option at the death than Johnston within the context of the lineup" than "Cusack is a better death bowler than Johnston".

I wasn't going to let you get away with the latter, as Johnston is my second favourite Irishman. Or should I say, second favourite "Irishman".

I do agree with the former though.

Uppercut

Ahh fair enough, so it was more a case of you saying "Cusack is a better option at the death than Johnston within the context of the lineup" than "Cusack is a better death bowler than Johnston".

I wasn't going to let you get away with the latter, as Johnston is my second favourite Irishman. Or should I say, second favourite "Irishman".

I do agree with the former though.
Yeah, in the heat of battle it took less time to type "Johnston, while probably about equally as effective as Cusack at the death, is much more effective now and hence should be bowled out."

Both are equally Irish tbf. Here's the birthplaces of the squad for the record:

William Porterfield (c)- Derry
Andre Botha- Johannesburg
Jeremy Bray- Sydney
Peter Connell- New Zealand
Alex Cusack- Brisbane
Trent Johnston- NSW
Kyle McCallan- Carrickfergus
John Mooney- Dublin
K O'Brien- Dublin
N O'Brien- Dublin
Boyd Rankin- Derry
Paul Stirling- Belfast
Regan West- New Zealand
Andrew White- Newtonards
Gary Wilson- Dundonald

Nine of the fifteen born in Ireland. Really happy with the mix- there's obviously big benefits to having someone like Trent Johnston around because he has the type of experience you just can't get at home. On the other hand, it's great that key players like Rankin, Porterfield and the O'Briens are all born and raised in Ireland. Not because i have any preference for where the team comes from- personally I've no issue at all with qualified Kiwis and Aussies playing as long as they're good enough- but it shows that the development of cricket in Ireland is more than an illusion.

EDIT: Joyce and Morgan were both Irish too. Very encouraging signs there as well.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What are the chances of SL beating NZ, Ireland beating Pakistan and NZ going through to the semis on net run rate? This despite having lost every game against a top-8 side (Pak, SL and SA) and only beaten Scotland and Ireland this tournament!

That would be awesome!

Athlai

Not Terrible
What are the chances of SL beating NZ, Ireland beating Pakistan and NZ going through to the semis on net run rate? This despite having lost every game against a top-8 side (Pak, SL and SA) and only beaten Scotland and Ireland this tournament!

That would be awesome!
Would rather beat Scotland TBH. That scenario is feasible if SL vs. NZ is a very tight finish and Pakistan get beaten by 20ish runs by Ireland.

The only realistic way for us to get through is win the next match.

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not getting my hopes up for NZ vs Sri Lanka, i'll end up getting disapointed again.

Hope the Irish get up tonight!!

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Would rather beat Scotland TBH. That scenario is feasible if SL vs. NZ is a very tight finish and Pakistan get beaten by 20ish runs by Ireland.

The only realistic way for us to get through is win the next match.
NZ are already ahead of Pak on NRR (+0.943 to +0.740), so if both lose by a similar margin then NZ would go through. For Pakistan to lose and go through they'd have to lose a close game and have SL beat NZ comfortably. Ireland NRR is so low that they're already effectively out, even though they'd end up tied for points with NZ and Pak in this eventuality.

But yeah it's all idle speculation - would be much better to actually win a game and deserve to be in the semis. Does anyone know if Ross Taylor is fit yet?

Inferiority

Banned
Heard there is a good chance Pak-Ire miight get rained off.
That would be great news for Sri Lanka which eliminates any possibility of them being knocked out. Pretty unfair for a team to win 4 games in a row and having the prospect of being eliminated in one defeat.

Sirhail

Cricket Spectator
That would be great news for Sri Lanka which eliminates any possibility of them being knocked out. Pretty unfair for a team to win 4 games in a row and having the prospect of being eliminated in one defeat.
what? its the world cup man.

pakistan won 4 times in a row and were eliminated in one defeat in 07.

this whenit counts, perform in the super 8s or go home. sri lanka were absolutely poor against ireland. they deserve to be in this position.

i hope pakistan plays, performaces from umar gul, afridi etc dont deserve to go home on rain

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
If it rains Pakistan are still relatively likely to go through, beating SL for NZ is a tough ask.

shivfan

Banned
Yeah, in the heat of battle it took less time to type "Johnston, while probably about equally as effective as Cusack at the death, is much more effective now and hence should be bowled out."

Both are equally Irish tbf. Here's the birthplaces of the squad for the record:

William Porterfield (c)- Derry
Andre Botha- Johannesburg
Jeremy Bray- Sydney
Peter Connell- New Zealand
Alex Cusack- Brisbane
Trent Johnston- NSW
Kyle McCallan- Carrickfergus
John Mooney- Dublin
K O'Brien- Dublin
N O'Brien- Dublin
Boyd Rankin- Derry
Paul Stirling- Belfast
Regan West- New Zealand
Andrew White- Newtonards
Gary Wilson- Dundonald

Nine of the fifteen born in Ireland. Really happy with the mix- there's obviously big benefits to having someone like Trent Johnston around because he has the type of experience you just can't get at home. On the other hand, it's great that key players like Rankin, Porterfield and the O'Briens are all born and raised in Ireland. Not because i have any preference for where the team comes from- personally I've no issue at all with qualified Kiwis and Aussies playing as long as they're good enough- but it shows that the development of cricket in Ireland is more than an illusion.

EDIT: Joyce and Morgan were both Irish too. Very encouraging signs there as well.
That's interesting....

What I'm also heartened about is the fact that this is a combined Irish team, including players from both Eire and Northern Ireland. I know Dublin and Belfast, but can you tell me where the other places are?