• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E - England, India, South Africa, West Indies

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Last two balls give us a chance, need to get at least 14/15 overs in though you'd think. Don't know whether they would start at the moment?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty amazing that England even got as much as 162 considering the spell from overs 11.2 to 19.4 where England didn't hit a single boundary.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If its a 5 over game, Windies will be chasing 47.

Cricinfo:

7.24pm Play will resume at 7.32pm as long as the rain stops. Which it won't - the covers are being dragged back on I'm afraid. If they don't get going by 7.32pm, they'll be reducing the overs. If it's a five-over match, West Indies will be chasing 47. No idea how our statistician Robin has worked it out, but I daren't challenge him.

Sutty

Cricket Spectator
Unbelievable how they can go 50-odd balls without even a 4 and then Broad comes in and hits 10 off 2.

Just shows they can't blame it on not having their eye in.

The team should have Shah and Bopara opening. 2 of Mascahrenas, Napier and Wright should be coming in down the order. We'd then have 4 genuine 'power-players' with the ability to clear the ropes. One (Pietersen) would bat high up the order and look to really give the innings momentum. The three coming in later would then attempt to give it a whack at the end.

I reckon that throw in Swann/Rashid plus Anderson and Broad and there's a team with enough batting and bowling, instead of a team with very few batsmen and the bare bones on the bowling front.

After that, England now have a score to bowl at. Hopefully the weather will stay away but also provide a bit of swing for Anderson. If we get Gayle early we're in with a chance I reckon.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Which makes England's decision to play 2 spinners even more mystifying.
Long since stopped being shocked by England selection policy.

"Lets drop our off-pace bowling, big hitter and leave out our space-filling, fast-bowling biffer and pick the kid who isnt an automatic selection for his county"

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Long since stopped being shocked by England selection policy.

"Lets drop our off-pace bowling, big hitter and leave out our space-filling, fast-bowling biffer and pick the kid who isnt an automatic selection for his county"
Nowt wrong with dropping the passenger, just made more sense to have brought in Napier instead.

Kyle

School Boy/Girl Captain
If that's true, it's a ridiculously small total. Instead of going at 8.05 an over for 20 overs they have to go at 9.40 for five. Absolute joke if you ask me.
Doesn't it increase with wickets?

D/L is a stupid though. Even more so in Twenty20.

Xuhaib

International Coach
If that's true, it's a ridiculously small total. Instead of going at 8.05 an over for 20 overs they have to go at 9.40 for five. Absolute joke if you ask me.
I think its fair enough, this tournament has shown how difficult it is to chase 50 in last 5 even with wicket in hand.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Foster at 6? An already fragile lineup made even more vulnerable with lack of depth.

Collingwood is fairly awful at this form of the game, shame he is captain really. Still looks quite possible that this will count for nothing as rain is surley on its way again
Quite. The captaincy jizzed up his form and his mind last time and all but got him dropped. Why accept it again when he has next to no aptitude for it anyway? Either the bowlers set their own fields or he follows the ball.

Also, can anyone tell me how Strauss is a worse 2020 player than all of Shah, Morgan & Key, please?

Finally, the ease with which Broad smacked the boundaries both chills the blood with Gayle, Fletcher, Simmons & Bravo to come & makes one weep at the pitiful inadequacy of our own middle order. :mellow: