• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E - England, India, South Africa, West Indies

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But confidence and form can overcome lots of defects and it was a shame he basically lost it all because the captain wanted to bat at 3...
No it doesn't. He was found out. He would have been bounced out even if he had batted 3 for CSK in the semi-final of the IPL, and then in the warm ups of the T20 WC.

I like Raina, but he was woeful. Cringeworthy seeing that sort of vulnerability to short bowling.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If I saw one donkey with Dhoni's name because of this loss, I would stop supporting India.
I feel your frustration, but that makes no sense. Don't let stupid Indian fans ruin your support for the cricket team. They're separate.

Smith

Banned
If I saw one donkey with Dhoni's name because of this loss, I would stop supporting India.
:fear:[/Stupid Indian fan]

On a serious note, such an act would imo only devalue your own standing as a fan as you seem to be easily swayed by the acts of a few bogans.

shivfan

Banned
Wouldn't shock me if Rashid came in for Dimi, with the windies dislike of spin.

Not the way I'd go, but I wouldn't be too upset if it happened.
As a WI fan, I wouldn't mind if England left out Dimi, because his bowling can be useful against batsmen who like the ball to have some pace on it....
:cool:
The Indian fielding was nothing special, IMHO, and their batting looked vulnerable to the short-pitched delivery in the matches against the WI and England. It was a questionable move to send Jadeja in ahead of Yuvraj and Dhoni.

England played better, and deserved to win....

Now, it's another knockout game!
:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Now, it's another knockout game!
:)
Yeah, big game. Cant help but think that a Broad choke may play a big role. I nearly fell down yesterday when he snatched at the runnout and missed a guaranteed wicket.

There is a something strange going on where he bowls well but panics after delivering the ball.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It is interesting to see the tick on the speedometer when Broad, Anderson and Sidebottom are bowling at. Broad is clearly bowling a lot quicker than he has ever bowled at any other point in his career, hes consistently around 90mph and its not just the 'Anderson' type, its pretty clear from when batsmen face him that he is bowling at a very hostile pace. Sidebottom too has been bowling a lot quicker in this tournament than he did for all of this year. Didnt really expect to see the 3 of them bowling with such fire as they have. If they can keep it up, and with Flintoff returning, that could be quite a threatening attack for the Ashes.

At least there's a bit of competition for the quicks' places now, remembering that Onions is in possession, did well, and has continued to do well in the CC.

Sirhail

Cricket Spectator
Called it reg. Jadeja...

And yeah, Dhoni is a defensive captain.. He is a good captain (even though this tourney has been his worst) but he is ALWAYS a defensive captain.. Expect decisions like saving Yuvraj coz "we don't want him to play under pressure" often...

Hard to see India being number 1 with this kind of a captain at the helm. He is a good leader but he is terribly defensive tactically...

Raina was found out against quick short pitched stuff.. Obviously, with the kind of grip he has, he is always gonna have problems against that sort of bowling.. But confidence and form can overcome lots of defects and it was a shame he basically lost it all because the captain wanted to bat at 3...

its crazy how every bums dhoni when they win in 07, but a couple of losses and every1 is on his back

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No it doesn't. He was found out. He would have been bounced out even if he had batted 3 for CSK in the semi-final of the IPL, and then in the warm ups of the T20 WC.

I like Raina, but he was woeful. Cringeworthy seeing that sort of vulnerability to short bowling.
A number of players with cringeworthy techniques against certain types of bowling have THRIVED when in good form and confident...

As I said in another thread, he may have been bounced out but in that case, only one person would have been to blame... Here, we have two because of quite stupid tactics from Dhoni...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, big game. Cant help but think that a Broad choke may play a big role. I nearly fell down yesterday when he snatched at the runnout and missed a guaranteed wicket.

There is a something strange going on where he bowls well but panics after delivering the ball.
Collingwood said the way they were going in this tournament, they were due for a good game yesterday.

By the same logic, they are due for a bad one today. :)

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
Congrats to England. As a neutral I always root for the underdog - so I rooted for England yesterday, and "my" team made it. Well done.

However (there is always something...), I wasn't convinced by there batting apart from KP. If he is not firing one day it might get difficult (as said before). But than the same was said about the WI and Chris Gayle - and than there was Bravo and Simmons.
Still - if there is a way to strengthen the batting I would really fast try to do that.

Generally a good bowling display under the circumstances. I was particulary impressed with Sidebottom and his genuine aggression (and not that acted agression some players of the team try to display), which he was able to translate into some hostile bowling. I sometimes thought the English might overdo the short ball - but with that batting lineup you couldn't bowl enough short deliveries I guess.
Broad bowled well as well - but his fielding might need some work...

So here you are - facing the Windies, who can make you really look stupid one day and gift you a game the next...

Good luck with the quarterfinal!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't disagree with anything you said really. Expect Pietersen to fire today as he normally does when needed, though that being said when we had a game of similar magnitude in the last ODI WC he got out for almost nothing IIRC. But yeah, praying he scores big tonight.

Backing him for the first ton of the tournament ftr

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It will be a touch bizarre if England don't beat the team that have been their bitches for the past two months.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, if the weather here is heading to London, which by the weather maps it could be, then well done Windies on your semi-final appearance:)

Biblical rain and thunder at present:@

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Many miles away from Lords though, may well miss it.

*fingers-crossed*
Sorry to nitpick, but it's at the Oval. 20% chance of rain according to cricinfo. We got that shower you're talking about at about midnight last night, was brutal- has been sandwiched by radiant sunshine though.