• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E - England, India, South Africa, West Indies

Smith

Banned
One thing this game shows Raina and Rohit are not yet ready to really step it up the potential is there but still not the total package.
Rohit yes. Raina never. He will never get out of ODIs or T20s.

Also, this could be the start of end of India's golden run since 2007 T20 WC. In a year or two Tendulkar shall retire and there will be a cataclysmic implosion as far as test performances are concerned (Don't think Gambhir will replicate his 2008 form every year from now on).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just think, as others have said, against the better bowlers who bowl short and quick he's looking all at sea at the start of the innings. Taylor and Edwards against him tomorrow:blink:

I agree with you about him in the field, I'd be happy if Owais made way and Wright batted down the order, but I really want Napier in.
Alternatively, Key to open with Wright dropping to 6 instead of Mascarenhas.

Admitedly the bowling wouldn't have much leeway though. Broad, Sidebottom, Anderson, Swann & Wright/Collingwood.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Rohit yes. Raina never. He will never get out of ODIs or T20s.

Also, this could be the start of end of India's golden run since 2007 T20 WC. In a year or two Tendulkar shall retire and there will be a cataclysmic implosion as far as test performances are concerned (Don't think Gambhir will replicate his 2008 form every year from now on).
Test bowling is solid and the opening pair is probably the best in the world Gambhir looks someone who will last the distance though middle order might get fragile if the youngsters don't step it up after Sachin, Dravid and Laxman departs. I will sit on the fence for this.:)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think what's most encouraging is that we still batted pretty ordinarily (I'd give us a 5.5/10) and scored enough. If (big if, admittedly) we ever fire we could get something substantial.

I'd be more worried if we'd played as well as we could possibly have done and just scraped home.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sure, you were. The argument is that that brilliance could have come to naught had India used some common sense.
See this sounds really arrogant. Assuming that all India had to do to win was get things right on their end. You are all quick to pounce on us when we lose to the Netherlands, collapse against South Africa etc, but we win two games on consecutive Sundays, and both times it was because Pakistan and then India didn't play well. Nah, not having it, we deserved the win, you lost because of the way we played, you didn't allow us to win it

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alternatively, Key to open with Wright dropping to 6 instead of Mascarenhas.

Admitedly the bowling wouldn't have much leeway though. Broad, Sidebottom, Anderson, Swann & Wright/Collingwood.
Not for me. I say open with KP, he's getting in early enough anyway, he's the only one who can take advantage of the PPs, and have Napier for the mid-overs where we've become stymied every match. Dimi, Shah or Wright to drop out. Won't leave us too stretched with the bowling either.

Can't believe I'm taking 20/twenty selection seriously, but ho-hum:unsure:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think what's most encouraging is that we still batted pretty ordinarily (I'd give us a 5.5/10) and scored enough. If (big if, admittedly) we ever fire we could get something substantial.

I'd be more worried if we'd played as well as we could possibly have done and just scraped home.
Aye, that's why i want Napier in. Could well fail, but it's no coincidence that our wins have come when KP has top-scored. Need someone else who can hit a few quick runs.

Smith

Banned
See this sounds really arrogant. Assuming that all India had to do to win was get things right on their end. You are all quick to pounce on us when we lose to the Netherlands, collapse against South Africa etc, but we win two games on consecutive Sundays, and both times it was because Pakistan and then India didn't play well. Nah, not having it, we deserved the win, you lost because of the way we played, you didn't allow us to win it
Well.. win a WC and then you too can take out the swagger on us... :D

G.I.Joe

International Coach
GIMH, there was no such pouncing on my part. The margin of defeat today was a mere 3 runs, and considering all the plainly avoidable mistakes India have made, it is reasonable to put forward the argument I did. If I were studying for an examination, and chose not to focus on the obviously important parts, and scored a 94, while my friend did focus on the stuff that was required and scored a 97, it would be reasonable for me to conclude that I threw it away more than I got beaten by him. It would certainly have been arrogant to reach that conclusion were the margin huge enough to compensate for these obvious lapses, but that isn't the case here.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ENG somehow need to strenghten that batting line-up, but we also need 5 bowlers (especially the 3 seamers n Swann). So its a bit complicated.

Bopara
?
KP
Shah
Collingwood
?
Foster
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Sidebottom

?'s - I'm leaning towards retaining Dimi & dropping Wright for Morgan.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is some joke or what?

WOW - so finally 2 minnows gonna play 'The Ashes' ;)
GIMH, there was no such pouncing on my part. The margin of defeat today was a mere 3 runs, and considering all the plainly avoidable mistakes India have made, it is reasonable to put forward the argument I did. If I were studying for an examination, and chose not to focus on the obviously important parts, and scored a 94, while my friend did focus on the stuff that was required and scored a 97, it would be reasonable for me to conclude that I threw it away more than I got beaten by him. It would certainly have been arrogant to reach that conclusion were the margin huge enough to compensate for these obvious lapses, but that isn't the case here.
Nah, if you're sitting an exam the two of you aren't having any effect on each other at all. This is the equivalent of you taking an exam, and your friend dancing naked in front of you so superbly while you were sitting it that you weren't able to perform to your full potential, and hence your, uh, friend got a better score than you.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Nah, if you're sitting an exam the two of you aren't having any effect on each other at all. This is the equivalent of you taking an exam, and your friend dancing naked in front of you so superbly while you were sitting it that you weren't able to perform to your full potential, and hence your, uh, friend got a better score than you.
Fine, make it a 2 player quiz where you've got to buzz in the answer before the other guy does. The principle is sound, you're nitpicking on form.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry, I know there wasn't any pouncing by you, large chunks of my post were just addressed to the CW community as a whole. I disagree that you lost the game more than we won it, but we'll leave it at that, agree to disagree and all that jazz

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I loved how the English bowlers came hard early. The short stuff was good aggressive cricket and the way certainly players coped with it was frankly embarassing. I didnt see England bat so I cant comment on that.

Some very exciting cricket being played.

tooextracool

International Coach
Great bowling from Sidebottom and Broad. Was quite surprised to see Sidebottom put in that kind of over at the end, absolutely brilliant stuff, didnt know he had it in him. Broad was the pick of the bowlers really. Anderson still really showing that he isnt good enough to be in the format long term, but hes better than any of the options available at this point.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
England won it, rather than India losing it. Dhoni & Pathan must have thought they need to bat till the end, but Broad & Sidebottom bowled superbly well and stopped 2 explosive batsmen from getting the runs.
England bowlers won England the game, instead of India losing it.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think thats putting a bit of a rose tint on the batting today. Lets face it, India gifted a lot of runs, Harbhajan on his own gifted 10 runs in wide deliveries and there were several runs in the field that we got as a result of poor fielding. Pietersen's 46 from 27 was the only reason we got close to what we ended up with today, and we already knew that without Pietersen scoring England tend to struggle to get anywhere above 120+.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
I think thats putting a bit of a rose tint on the batting today. Lets face it, India gifted a lot of runs, Harbhajan on his own gifted 10 runs in wide deliveries and there were several runs in the field that we got as a result of poor fielding. Pietersen's 46 from 27 was the only reason we got close to what we ended up with today, and we already knew that without Pietersen scoring England tend to struggle to get anywhere above 120+.
Pietersen is our premier batsman, and we really need to him perform every game. But, I don't think we are dependent only on him. If Bopara & Wright fire, they could single handedly win the game. IMO, 2 out of the top four are needed to score, else we'll end up around 130 at best.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pietersen is our premier batsman, and we really need to him perform every game. But, I don't think we are dependent only on him. If Bopara & Wright fire, they could single handedly win the game. IMO, 2 out of the top four are needed to score, else we'll end up around 130 at best.
Wright, Bopara, Pietersen and Shah are 4 players who if they bat 10-15 overs they are likely to get England to a very competitive total. Collingwood, Mascarenhas and Foster on the other hand, I would have little hope for, both in terms of actually batting 10-15 overs or scoring at a decent lick. However, all 7 of them are dodgy starters and need to play themselves in before they can start to play the big shots.