• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Then and Now

Are the teams of a better quality in WC 09?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
So how have the teams changed since 07 and how much has the game changed since the last WC?

Australia
Code:
[B]Then[/B]

Gilchrist 
Hayden
Ponting
Symonds
Mussey
Hodge 
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Bracken
Clark

[B]Now[/B]

Watson
Warner
[B]Ponting[/B]
Clarke 
[B]Haddin[/B]
Dussey
[B]Mussey[/B]
[B]Johnson[/B]
[B]Lee[/B]
Hopes 
[B]Bracken[/B]
Bangladesh
Code:
[b]Then[/B]

Tamim
Nazimuddin
Aftab
Ashraful
Shakib 
Kapali
Reza
Rahim
Mortaza
Rasel
Razzak
[B]
Now[/B]

[B]Tamim[/B]
Siddique
[B]Ashraful[/B]
[B]Shakib[/B]
Mahmudallah
Raqibul
[B]Mortaza[/B]
[B]Rahim[/B]
Naeem
Shahadat
Rubel
England
Code:
[b]Then[/B]

Maddy
Prior
Wright
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Shah
Mascarenhas
Schofield
Broad
Anderson

[B]Now[/B]

Bopara
[B]Wright[/B]
[B]Shah[/B]
Morgan
[B]Collingwood[/B]
Key
Foster
Rashid
[B]Broad
Anderson[/B]
Sidebottom
India
Code:
[b]Then[/B]

Gambhir
Sehwag
Uthappa
Yuvraj
Karthik
Dhoni
I Pathan
Harby
Agarkar
Sreesanth
RP Singh

[B]Now[/B]

[B]Gambhir[/B]
R Sharma
[B]Dhoni[/B]
[B]Yuvraj[/B]
Raina
Y Pathan
[B]I Pathan[/B]
[B]Harby[/B]
Khan
I Sharma
Ojha
New Zealand
Code:
[b]Then[/B]

Vincent
McCullum
Fulton
Taylor
Styris
McMillan
Oram
Vettori
Bond
Gillespie
Martin

[B]Now[/B]

[B]McCullum[/B]
Ryder
Guptill
[B]Taylor
Oram
Styris[/B]
McGlashan
Franklin
[B]Vettori[/B]
Butler
O'Brien
Pakistan
Code:
[b] Then[/B]

Butt
Nazir
Khan
Malik
Afridi
Misbah
Akmal
Arafat
Gul
Asif
Tanvir

[B]Now[/B]
[B]
Butt[/B]
Shehzad
[B]Akmal[/B]
[B]Khan
Misbah
Malik
Afridi
Tanvir
Gul[/B]
Rao
Ajmal
South Africa
Code:
[b] Then[/B]

Smith
Gibbs
AB
Kemp
Boucher
Pollock
Albie
van der Wath
Philander
Ntini
Morne

[B]Now[/B]

[B]Smith[/B]
Kallis
[B]Gibbs
AB
Albie
Boucher[/B]
JP
van der Merwe
Steyn
Parnell
Botha
Sri Lanka
Code:
[b] Then[/B]

Tharanga
Jayasuriya
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Silva
Dilshan
Mubarak
Maharoof
Fernando
Malinga
Vaas

[B]Now[/B]

[B]Dilshan
Jayasuriya
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Silva[/B]
de Saram/Mathews
[B]Maharoof[/B]
Kulasekara
Murali
[B]Malinga[/B]
Mendis
West Indies
Code:
[b] Then[/B]

Gayle
Devon Smith
Samuels
Chanderpaul
Smith
Sarwan
Ramdin
Bravo
Powell
Rampaul
Edwards

[B]Now[/B]

[B]Gayle[/B]
Fletcher
Marshall
[B]Chanderpaul
Sarwan
Bravo[/B]
Pollard
[B]Ramdin[/B]
Taylor
Benn
[B]Edwards[/B]

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Looking at these teams I'd say that:

India, South Africa, Sri Lanka West Indies are stronger teams than they were.
England, New Zealand and Bangladesh roughly the same. Improvements in these teams come at a cost, Bangladesh's slightly better batting against losing some bowling, New Zealand vice versa with the massive loss of Bond though the upside in losing Gillespie.
Australia and Pakistan are worse.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Uthappa, Joginder and Agarkar rightly out this time. Sreesanth and Karthik are marginal calls, ignoring injuries. India have pretty much the same team as last time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Uthappa, Joginder and Agarkar rightly out this time. Sreesanth and Karthik are marginal calls, ignoring injuries. India have pretty much the same team as last time.
I think that the players they've dropped have been replaced by new strengths in the team. Raina, Zeek, Yusuf and Ojha FTW

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think that the players they've dropped have been replaced by new strengths in the team. Raina, Zeek, Yusuf and Ojha FTW
Yeah, could say that. I forgot that Yusuf played only the final last time. Raina >>> Uthappa and Ojha >>> Joginder definitely.

Not convinced by the Zaheer love personally. For all that he's built up to be, he isn't that good a T20 bowler compared to Sreesanth. Definitely a better option than Agarkar though.

Karthik and Yusuf are 50-50 calls. Both have done well in the IPL, but haven't set the world on fire in T20I's. Karthik should ideally have been in the squad as back for Dhoni.

I guess a lot will depend on how much better Sehwag performs than the guy he'll replace when he's fit. He was crap all through the IPL except in the semifinal.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Reckon our team is better this time out if we can find a settled XI. Was a little experimental that one.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Voted yes for one reason - since then the role of slow bowlers has been refined in T20, and we're seeing some new blood (Mendis,Ojha,Ajmal,VdeMerwe, Adil Rashid) join the old reliables (Murali, Vettori, Harbhajan) and reduce the role of part timers (Sehwag) or 'utility players (Joginder).

Many teams are often going with 2 slow bowlers (Not just the 4 subcontinental teams but also Eng, SA). This is an improvement.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, i think regardless of the actual players involved, T20 strategy has evolved so much since the last world cup that the overall quality must surely have improved.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
I would 've been alot happier if the same team had played in this championship also
Pakistan missing Imran Nazir