• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand- could they just win it?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
There are players outside the England side that would have more chance of making the NZ side than some of the players Scaly mentioned tbh

Athlai

Not Terrible
I let Broad slide because he'd get a spot in our team when we have injuries and ICL's probably. Colly would fight with Styris. Bopara is probably good enough to push Guptill out of the number 3 position depending on form. Sidebottom? Welcome in son. We'll not blunder in the field for you.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I let Broad slide because he'd get a spot in our team when we have injuries and ICL's probably. Colly would fight with Styris. Bopara is probably good enough to push Guptill out of the number 3 position depending on form. Sidebottom? Welcome in son. We'll not blunder in the field for you.
Would take Bopara over Guptill in a heartbeat tbh.

I don't think the gulf in class can be appreciated by comparing players though. New Zealand are excellent tactically in limited over cricket, they can time their chases perfectly, their players are almost all better-suited to the format and it's what they like playing. England are much better at tests too, for somewhat similar reasons, and comparing the players in each side doesn't really do justice to that.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think the Swann call is that laughable tbf (compared to say Colly) if NZ had access to Englands players, they'd likely have a surfiet of all round options so could probably afford to play 2 spinners, and AR & 3 seamers. If you had a top 5 of Ryder, Mcullum, KP, Taylor & Bopara followed by 2 of Oram/Flintoff/Franklin/Napier/Mascarenhas and then a 'tail' of Vettori, Swann, & 2 seamers.

The out and out seamers is where the side would struggle, both sides aren't great England marginally better

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you're talking T20 then Wright is a better option than Oram, easily. Generally speaking NZ's seam options aren't much better than Wright.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whatever their standard, it works for them. Their recent record in both ODIs and T20s is excellent.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
you talking about a player that averages 20 and a sr of 140 vs a guy with a average of 33 sr 150... oh he got some runs vs holland lmao, he is a poor mans afridi and thats saying something.
All in meaningless games, tbh. :happy:

GGG

State Captain
All in meaningless games, tbh. :happy:
Yeah I deleted that post because he was talking bowling. anyway maybe we will face England in semis and it will give them a chance to beat us in a OD game for the first time in a world cup comp since 83?

Flem274*

123/5
Lol at this conversation, just lol. Thats all the maturity I have for it.

Well done to those that are arguing with him though, I don't generally have that tolerance.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For a scrabble champ, you don't read too well, I said English-born players, so KP is out on this one sorry, try again
Sorry, still waiting for your answer to the question. You've happily stated that Bond is the only genuine world-class player NZ have had in the last few years, so I ask you again, name any genuinely World-class English-born players aside from Flintoff in the last few years.

My point being, its ain't really a lot different, apart from the fact England have around 15 times the population of NZ. The fact remains, NZ have a better limited over team than England and have so for a good few years now (and if you still can't see that given just about every other Englishman I know has conceded NZ is a better limited overs side than England, then you are well-truly blind) and England have the better test side.
What does english-born actually mean? Born in England? Meh, why does that matter. English parentage? KP ticks the box.

It's such an irrelevant point that's brought up whenever KP is lauded. He plays for England, and he's world-class, who gives a **** about anything else?

Inferiority

Banned
Is Grant Elliot world class? I'll try not to be mean here but when was the last time New Zealand has won a tournament? They should have beaten SL in the WC semi final with their powerful batting line up back then.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For sure, completely agree with the Kiwis here. But New Zealand being much better than England =/ "England have been really poor in OD matches for a sustained period."
Exactly, which is why I said "It's possible I've taken more notice of this then than their successes. I don't have the satellite TV capabilities (especially in this country) to follow their every move. The last time I recall them being talked about as being poor was a while back too - possibly before they beat us at home in '06. I assumed they'd carried on in that fashion"

4 'th' words in a row in the first sentence too. Must be some kind of thet up.

profernity

U19 Debutant
In response to the thread title, probably not now that there's a long injury list, for which the replacements aren't quite equal. I wouldn't be too surprised if they made it to the semi finals, but any further is pushing it. Good thing is, I won't be waiting for the seasons to change before I found out whether I'm right or wrong.