Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand- could they just win it?

Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    He is one of the best young ODI batsmen in the world, have you seen him play.He has only played three 20/20INT's but if you saw the last Chappel-Hadlee game you would know how quick he can score. I think he scored 66 of about 32 that night. Guptill will be one of our better batsmen in this world cup.
    NZ fans say stuff like this all the time though. If I listened to them apparently you have Gilchrist mark 2 opening the batting along with Bradman 1 in Ryder, one of the best young batsmen that no-one outside of New Zealand has heard of, Bradman 2 in Taylor. This brilliant all-rounder who if not for injuries would average 50 with the bat and 20 with the ball, but of course it's all injuries holding back his awesomeness. Then there's Styris of course, merely a brilliant batsman who's a good medium pacer. Oh and lower down you've got all these good bowlers and throw in Vettori a godlike finger spinner. Hell of a lot of talent for 4 million people.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    NZ fans say stuff like this all the time though. If I listened to them apparently you have Gilchrist mark 2 opening the batting along with Bradman 1 in Ryder, one of the best young batsmen that no-one outside of New Zealand has heard of, Bradman 2 in Taylor. This brilliant all-rounder who if not for injuries would average 50 with the bat and 20 with the ball, but of course it's all injuries holding back his awesomeness. Then there's Styris of course, merely a brilliant batsman who's a good medium pacer. Oh and lower down you've got all these good bowlers and throw in Vettori a godlike finger spinner. Hell of a lot of talent for 4 million people.
    Haha, epicfail. Sorry, never heard anyone call Taylor or Ryder the next Bradman. McCullum has naturally been compared to gilchrist, and some have said that he could possibly equal him or get near him in ODIs, but haven't heard it for tests. So you could argue that one, though at one stage he was playing like the guy but as expected, it didn't last long. Also I want to find the person that thinks Oram will average 20 in tests with the ball, because then I can laugh at them.

A+ for effort though.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 28-05-2009 at 06:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

99*
    Oh **** off you git. You won't find any New Zealanders with a basic knowledge of cricket that will say McCullum is the next Gilchrist or that he will end up anything like Gilchrist, we all know how amazing and freakish he was and we hope, one day that McCullum emulate that ability but we are not deluded enough to say he is anywhere near as good as Gilchrist.

As for Ryder and Taylor being Bradman 1 and 2, why don't you have take a good large dose of shut-the-****-up. Ryder and Taylor are good batsmen, both on their day able to win matches for NZ, most sane people can see that. Anyone that thinks Ryder or Taylor are near the class of, or ever will be the class of Bradman should be hung, drawn and quartered and barred from ever speaking about cricket again.

We don't have the talent countries like Australia, South Africa, India or even England have, but it's a tribute to how hard those players work that we even come close to winning games let alone series. And if you feel we over-rate our players then you can go and get ******, it's our role as fans of the NZ cricket team to rate them when ****-wits like yourself come out of the shadows to run down their chances and ability based on nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    99* has the idea.

99*IsMyHero
    Last edited by Flem274*; 28-05-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    99* you are a *
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

if india doesnt win then i will be happy if new zealand can pull it off.

99* you are a *
    I think he'd use more *'s personally.

And I'm not the one who as soon as any NZer comes along with the slightest bit of potential they're immediately proclaimed as the next big international star. It happens with guys like Taylor and it has happened in the past with guys like McMillan.

I'm sure Ross Taylor would rather be touted as the next Martin Crowe than Bradman.

I don't know if he's been touted as such in NZ?

I haven't heard anything like that from commentators such as Ian Smith, Mark Richardson, Crowe himself etc.
    All-Time Test XI:
    Gavaskar, Boycott, Tendulkar, G.Pollock, V.Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist (wk), Warne (c), Waqar/Wasim, Lillee, Ambrose.

for me ross taylor is good enough batsman
    the speciality he has, is that he can hit across the line, which is thought to be bad, but in twenty20 you can't win games without being able to hit across the line
    maybe some are jealous of him cuz their players can't hit across the line, & they play twenty20 as test match cricket & try to be Bradman

Whereas Brandon Mcullam, can't compare him with Gilchrist, but Brandon has his own class, good enough wicket keeper (far better than our wicket keeper) & good enough batsman
    if he can score some runs at the top of the order
    newzealand 'll win most of the games they play in twenty20

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Peeps,

Here's the Kiwi squad for the 20-20:

Daniel Vettori (captain)
    Neil Broom
    Ian Butler
    Brendon Diamanti
    James Franklin
    Martin Guptill
    Brendon McCullum
    Nathan McCullum
    Peter McGlashan
    Kyle Mills
    Iain O’Brien
    Jacob Oram
    Jesse Ryder
    Scott Styris
    Ross Taylor

While a LOT of their chances depends on the big guns firing more often than not (and if they don't, they'll look very ordinary), does anyone think they can actually win it?

Cos I do.

Based on what little I know of the Black Caps, I'd probably go with something like-

B.McCullum (wk)
    Ryder
    Guptill
    Taylor
    Oram
    Styris
    N.McCullum
    Diamanti
    Vettori (c)
    O'Brien
    Butler

I don't really like Kyle Mills for limited overs and Diamanti and Butler's stats are impressive.

Nathan McCullum can do some part-tiome spin and slogging which is always a good combo for 20-20 (Yuvraj, Afridi etc).

If England don't win the limited overs tournaments, I mean WHEN England don't win the limited overs tournaments, I hope the Kiwis do. They're the perennial underdogs.

Anyways, anyone agree they can win itand/or with my XI (particularly the New Zealanders on the board since you know more than me).

- Steve
    You have picked right combination for New Zealand but instead of Butler i will go with Mills because he can pick wickets at crucial time as well as he can bat as well.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I think he'd use more *'s personally.

And I'm not the one who as soon as any NZer comes along with the slightest bit of potential they're immediately proclaimed as the next big international star. It happens with guys like Taylor and it has happened in the past with guys like McMillan.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    if india doesnt win then i will be happy if new zealand can pull it off.
    I'll be pulling myself off if NZ win, that's certain.

Nice. Lol

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information