• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand- could they just win it?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
99* you are a *
I think he'd use more *'s personally.

And I'm not the one who as soon as any NZer comes along with the slightest bit of potential they're immediately proclaimed as the next big international star. It happens with guys like Taylor and it has happened in the past with guys like McMillan.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm sure Ross Taylor would rather be touted as the next Martin Crowe than Bradman.

I don't know if he's been touted as such in NZ?

I haven't heard anything like that from commentators such as Ian Smith, Mark Richardson, Crowe himself etc.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
for me ross taylor is good enough batsman
the speciality he has, is that he can hit across the line, which is thought to be bad, but in twenty20 you can't win games without being able to hit across the line
maybe some are jealous of him cuz their players can't hit across the line, & they play twenty20 as test match cricket & try to be Bradman

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Whereas Brandon Mcullam, can't compare him with Gilchrist, but Brandon has his own class, good enough wicket keeper (far better than our wicket keeper) & good enough batsman
if he can score some runs at the top of the order
newzealand 'll win most of the games they play in twenty20

cricket_village

Cricket Spectator
Peeps,

Here's the Kiwi squad for the 20-20:

Daniel Vettori (captain)
Neil Broom
Ian Butler
Brendon Diamanti
James Franklin
Martin Guptill
Brendon McCullum
Nathan McCullum
Peter McGlashan
Kyle Mills
Iain O’Brien
Jacob Oram
Jesse Ryder
Scott Styris
Ross Taylor

While a LOT of their chances depends on the big guns firing more often than not (and if they don't, they'll look very ordinary), does anyone think they can actually win it?

Cos I do.

Based on what little I know of the Black Caps, I'd probably go with something like-

B.McCullum (wk)
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Oram
Styris
N.McCullum
Diamanti
Vettori (c)
O'Brien
Butler

I don't really like Kyle Mills for limited overs and Diamanti and Butler's stats are impressive.

Nathan McCullum can do some part-tiome spin and slogging which is always a good combo for 20-20 (Yuvraj, Afridi etc).

If England don't win the limited overs tournaments, I mean WHEN England don't win the limited overs tournaments, I hope the Kiwis do. They're the perennial underdogs.

Anyways, anyone agree they can win itand/or with my XI (particularly the New Zealanders on the board since you know more than me).

- Steve
You have picked right combination for New Zealand but instead of Butler i will go with Mills because he can pick wickets at crucial time as well as he can bat as well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think he'd use more *'s personally.

And I'm not the one who as soon as any NZer comes along with the slightest bit of potential they're immediately proclaimed as the next big international star. It happens with guys like Taylor and it has happened in the past with guys like McMillan.

Craig

World Traveller
Ok, SP here is a challenge for you: Name me two NZ cricketer's you rate, hell even one.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bond, the only NZ cricketer in the last few years who is genuinely world class. Vettori only squeaks in if you restrict it to limited overs.

Flem274*

123/5
Haven't lost to the Netherlands though :p

So basically, for an NZer to be rated by you they have to be world class? coz buddy, Collingwood, Harmison and Onions ain't world class, yet you're in love with them.

Not that I really care what you think, I just like venting at you. Its healthy for me.