• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand- could they just win it?

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Well I don't think Oram should be in our T20 TBH.
Neither do I. Most overrated player in our lineup. I don't think he's actually won us a game yet in any form of cricket. I always seem to recall him playing his best cricket when we lose or come agonisingly close to winning.

Flem274*

123/5
Neither do I. Most overrated player in our lineup. I don't think he's actually won us a game yet in any form of cricket. I always seem to recall him playing his best cricket when we lose or come agonisingly close to winning.
Without going cricinfo hunting, the first WC game vs England and scoring a hundred to save our arses against England in a test are two top of the head examples.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Without going cricinfo hunting, the first WC game vs England and scoring a hundred to save our arses against England in a test are two top of the head examples.
Without looking it up that game against the Poms was Styris too wasn't it?

Flem274*

123/5
Without looking it up that game against the Poms was Styris too wasn't it?
Yeah, it was a collaborative effort. Still, thats whats needed really. Hard to win games single handedly, so it doesn't happen often.

Unless you're Adam Gilchrist.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, it was a collaborative effort. Still, thats whats needed really. Hard to win games single handedly, so it doesn't happen often.

Unless you're Adam Gilchrist.
Well McCullum, Ryder, Taylor, Styris and even Vettori have all figuratively won a match almost by themselves IIRC. Oram's best effort was that 100 against Aus but just coming up short, so a losing cause. :(

Don't think T20 is the right format for big Jake.

GGG

State Captain
He should just stick to tests tbh, but thats the opposite to what he want to do so I think its time to drop him and let him regain form next domestic season.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't think NZ can win it now.

It didn't help that Vettori was injured at the start and Ryder injured for the recent games.

Oram and Styris are obviously past it. It's a shame but the Kiwis should probably start to look for long term replacements (though Oram's don't drop off trees).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He must have done in some ODIs vs England, his batting record vs England in ODIs is phenominal (or at least it was coming into the last series the two played.)

Flem274*

123/5
He must have done in some ODIs vs England, his batting record vs England in ODIs is phenominal (or at least it was coming into the last series the two played.)
He's done a lot, but some people are at risk of having knees crash into their noses.

Oram is done for T20, but I'd have no hesitation in playing him in the other two formats. The biggest myth about Oram is he can come out and smash the ****, and that he does it all the time. Thats not the case, more often than not he plays like a normal batsman and only starts hitting after he's taken time to get set.

Days of Grace

International Captain
That's very true.

It's just that when he tries to play like a real batsman in T20 he doesn't quite know how to go about it.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Oram is done for T20, but I'd have no hesitation in playing him in the other two formats. The biggest myth about Oram is he can come out and smash the ****, and that he does it all the time. Thats not the case, more often than not he plays like a normal batsman and only starts hitting after he's taken time to get set.
Exactly.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin is a better player in Tests.

Guptill
Mystery Opener
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
McCullum
Franklin

That is a better top 7 to me than with Oram at 6. Guy has just looked so poor in Tests, edges everywhere, concrete feet. Certainly should play ahead of Franklin in ODI though.

Franklin became a better bat than Oram since about the end of 07 for me.

Flem274*

123/5
Except Oram has been OK in the post 07 era, a bit hot and cold but OK, and Franklin's batting form from domestics hasn't transferred to internationals.

Flem274*

123/5
Oram in the post 07 era has played 9 tests for:

filtered 9 tests 446 runs HS 117 Ave: 31.85 2 centuries 18 wickets BBI 3/23 Ave: 23.33

Athlai

Not Terrible
One of those centuries was a beauty, one was a rotter IMO.

His bowling in Tests has been amazingly tight, bowls immacutely, though it goes without saying a fit Franklin is better. 2 wickets a match is no good even if it comes cheap.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of those centuries was a beauty, one was a rotter IMO.

His bowling in Tests has been amazingly tight, bowls immacutely, though it goes without saying a fit Franklin is better. 2 wickets a match is no good even if it comes cheap.
Problem with Oram's style of bowling in tests is that he needs to be Vettori's "reliable man" that he can turn to for an accurate spell. He can't, because his body's never up to it, and he can't bowl long spells either. I'd leave him out of the test team altogether until there's a dramatic improvement in his injury record.