• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Australia - C1
Sri Lanka - C2
Windies

Fixtures

Sat, June 6th
Aus vs Windies - The Oval

Mon, June 8th
Aus vs Sri Lanka - Trent Bridge, D/N

Wed, June 10th

Sri Lanka vs Windies - Trent Bridge

jondavluc

State Regular
This is definitely the most competitive group out of the lot.

I would say Australia and Sri Lanka but I wouldn't be surprised if the West Indies team didn't pull out a victory and got in the super 8.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
This is the most interesting group
i'm not against Australians
but i think Srilanka & westindies 'll be through
although Australia should go through

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
This is the most interesting group
i'm not against Australians
but i think Srilanka & westindies 'll be through
although Australia should go through
So who misses out then?

In the end, each team has relative strengths and weaknesses. Totally dependent on what occurs game-day, is the nature of the T20 contest. Impossible to compare squads, past form, pitch conditions.

Who's to know if Mendis will take 5 wickets against Australia? Gayle score 80 off 42 against Sri Lanka? Warner and Watson to score 100 in the first 12 overs against West Indies. Will be a great contest between the sides.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Hey sorry
i didn't say i want to see Australia lose
i always support Australia after pakistan gets out of the tournament lol
i was just guessing that i feel West indies & srilanka go through

dossa

Cricket Spectator
Australia should win this group with Sri Lanka close behind and West Indies losing by lots.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
This group could easily have one team win a match. What happens then, run rate? Seems a bit of a daft way to organise things.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Well if this group ends up having 2 points each team & teams go through on run rate basis, it'll be unfortunate for the 3rd team
cuz already this is the most difficult group
cuz other groups 've 1 relatively easy team so it'll be unfortunate for the 3rd team in this group

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What really should be Australia starting XI?. Still a big mystery i guess.

Presuming Watson can bowl, im leaning towards this XI:

Haddin
Watson
Ponting
Symonds
M Hussey
Clarke
D Hussey
Hopes
Johnson
Lee
Siddle

- Would pick Siddle over Bracken unfortunately because i reckon having 3, 145K bowlers will be a massive plus againts batting line-ups like India & SA - if Australia get far in the tournament.

- Not fully behind starting Warner, he is too hit & miss for me - more so the latter.

- Hopes could open if they want to save Haddin for the death & he can give useful overs, although batsmen will obviously want to target him. Plus

- Clark... well just stick him @ 6.

- No need for Hauritz, Hussey, Symonds & Clarke to sweak it.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The opening batsmen combination will prove the most crucial decision for Australian selectors. Vital they get it right, as the IPL and previous international games have shown that a decent opening combination is the difference between a 120 score and a 160+ score. Very difficult for teams to make a comeback from 2/20 after 4.

Any bat out of Haddin, Clarke, Hopes, Watson and Warner may be used for the position.

Watson is the most suited to open. Most likely to score a 50+ score at better than a run a ball. More adaptable than all the other candidates, is actually capable of mixing defence with ability to hit over the top.

Warner is the gamble. If he comes off, 180+ is possible. Has actually shown remarkable consistency over T20 games with Australia, NSW and in the IPL. Not always scoring a big innings, but providing a quick start.

Haddin, Clarke and Hopes all suffer from similar issues. Each batsmen can get tied down at one end early on. They all find it a struggle to pierce the in-field early, totally reliant on a big shot to get out of trouble. Which is not the natural game of any of the three batsmen. I would back Haddin and Hopes over Clarke to actually compile a decent innings.

My preferred combination is:
Watson and Warner

But depending on team selection, the combination may prove anything.