Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236371727374 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1108

Thread: Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

  1. #1081
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,769
    I've just seen Mathews' (Mathew's? What is the bloke's name?) fielding, and it's out of this world. Absolutely sensational presence of mind, agility and reactions.

    And no bloody way is it a six. I like Adamc's analogy a lot.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  2. #1082
    First Class Debutant Beamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    829
    As a lot of you have already said 177 against that SL attack is a good effort without our numero uno 20-20 batsman.

    The batting looks in good shape but Marshall has to go. Not only is he batting poorly at the moment but his fielding has regressed dramatically. Simmons will probably keep his place in the lineup. I am slightly worried about Shiv's 20-20 batting, he has looked terrible in his last couple of innings. He is the great man though so I would give him a chance against India on Friday (though I can't help but feel we missed out on a great opportunity to give a youngster like Darren Bravo some exposure by resting Shiv for this tournament). Sarwan didn't get the ball away too well today but he will come good and it doesn't get much tougher than having to score at 10/11 runs per over against Mendis and Murali.

    The bowling is ok even if Fiddy had an off day today but the fielding is simply unacceptable. We have a team full of athletes (everyone apart from Suliemann Benn and Sarwan can run very quickly and are pretty agile) so it can only be appalling concentration levels that are holding them back. Dyson has to light a fire up their backsides because they are in with a great shout of winning this tournament if they can just field adequately.

  3. #1083
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Akin to me saying Atul Sharma will be better than McGrath once he starts playing.
    No no. I did not say Siddle would become a better ODI bowler than Sharma once he plays. I am saying when Siddle plays i am expecting him to have similar success, given that given their test form, they are pretty even as bowlers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Both are left armers, albeit one is still wrongly listed as LMF.
    Bracken is pace bowler. Ojha is a spinner. Bracken seam up with the new-ball & then in the middle overs & death combines his off-cutters as part of his bowling tactics.



    It is already clear than in Harbhajan, Ojha and even Misha India's spin options embarasses AUS.

    Bracken should be compared to the likes of Kumar, RP Singh, Sreesath - which he clearly is better.


    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Check out the ODI rankings and see whether they are still on top. They are not.
    You are clearly missing my point yo. We are refering to the CB series 08 which India won & i am telling you IND winning that series then, did not make them better than AUS ATT in ODI cricket.

    Australia lost a fair few ODI series between the Gilchrist/Hayden ODI era of WC 99 to CB series 08. But AUS losing did not make the opposition better.

    This point has nothing to do with RIGHT NOW.



    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    How do you say that despite agreeing to Zaheer = Johnson, Ishant > Bracken, Siddle, Ojha and Harby have no comparitive figures in Aus???.
    Australia fast-bowling depth is way better than India thats, why at home AUS would be favoruites. While in IND at home would be favorites becuase of their spin strenght.


    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Happens to all teams. Even when Ojha made his debut, it was against SL in their own backyard, he came good immediately.

    When you are constantly excusing yourself with the same reason for a lengthy period of time, you know something is wrong with the team. It is not as if Aus lost just one series and people started berating them as an ODI team.

    Yes but not AUS during their best years. You would be well aware of how over the last decade during the the ultra-competitve winning mentality in the AUS side, that fringe or young players would come in with the regular stars & IMMEDIATELY play well.

    During last winter, going into the series AUS had just lost to IND & SA in tests. Selectors where doing crap & big players where under pressure & a few key players where out injured. So fringe players came into an unusal team enviroment, thus they performed below par.

    That is why SA beating an under-strenght AUS team due to these reason - is not a straight forward indicator that they are better than AUS @ full-strenght. As i said before SA 3-2 win in 06 was far more legitimate.






    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Who involved test cricket? I mentioned there is no way James Hopes is a better player than Pathan. In all formats, including ODIs.
    Clear contradictory here.



    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    He is a handy player in the shield. But at the moment, when it comes to Internationals, he is found wanting, Hopes that is.

    Hopes ODI career has been pretty solid given his role i'd say, by no means has been found wanting overall. His bowling at times could be targeted yea, but on slow surfaces he has proven to hard to get way. While his batting is versatile enough to give decent finishing innings in the late overs & in case of emergency open the innings.


    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    You got no data to back it up shotta, and in T20s, Hopes is a big joke.
    His bowling is joke yea. But as he should for KXIP in the IPL - as i just said - if his role is to oepn the batting he is a dangerous hitter. For AUS he wont get that role, so his position in the national T20 is useless.




    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    And Ferguson has played all of SA as a big side? .
    Ferguson was AUS best batsman in the ODI series in SA.



    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Check out his stats for a change mister. Raina's record despite his inexperience is far better than that of Hodge and Hussey.
    Yes. But those stats need to taken with a pinch of salt.

    It is clear based on domestic ODI & T20 performances worldwide Hodge & Hussey are better bats than Raina. Its just that in their ODI careers they have not had settled roles, they usually play because of injury or as a rest replacement. No player regardless how good you are can't be in & out of a team & expect to have a SOLID record.

    Raina may very well have a top ODI career, but as of right now as we are deliberating over who has the better ODI batting depth. Hodge & Hussey are better than Raina clearly.




    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Lol, the way you arrive at conclusions is hilarious. Nayar is as good as Pomersbach if not better. That is evident from their domestic records,


    Also Uthappa, Kohli, Badri, Vijay, Pande, Jadeja etc all outclass the bench strength of Aussies.
    Firstly i was never actually comparing Pomersbach to Nayar. This is what i said to the other posted who first brought up this point:


    Quote Originally Posted by me
    My bad i forgot about Kohli & Jadeja especially. Its pretty close between Bailey/Pomersbach and these two Indians.

    Uthappa is straight wildness, id be very surprised if he plays for IND in ODIs or T20s again.

    Badri strong suite seems to be test cricket. Seeing him in the IPL he looks a bit out of his depth in that format.

    Pandey no doubt looked exciting, but so did Warner intially. So too early to judge him i'd say.



    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    He is firstly a Netherlands player. So it is an irrelevant argument.
    TBH im not sure how strict the lawless ICC is about switching nations, especially a fringe on like the dutch. I sort of think Nannes can still play for AUS because he applied due to Dutch heritage, just like how foreign players can come & play county cricket as European players if they have links. But i could be wrong.

    Eoin Morgan played for ENG just 2 years after representing Ireland in the 07 WC. So its a bit confusing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Secondly, Nannes has hardly played any International cricket to have an assessment. It is funny when you say he is better than RP, who has actually led India to test wins abroad, not to mention ODIs and T20s.
    Irrelevant. We talking about ODI cricket.

    T20s can give you an idea of how a bowler could bowl in ODI in the death overs at least & seeing the IPL this year. Nannes was slightly superior to RP in that area. While they both are equally dangerous with the new ball.


    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Because he was denied a contract this year and has hardly impressed in the last few years?.
    He only has not impressed in the Perth test vs IND. His ODI bowling has been pretty much what you get from Tait all the time - high pace, waywardness (sometimes accurate) & wickets.

    Him not getting a CA contract does not mean AUS selectors dont see him as part of future plans. All it says that they see him as limited overs specialist given his injury record & given the likes depth in pace options in the respective forms of the game he is sort of down the pecking order.

    Tait is currently involved in the AUS A vs PAK A series. So although confusing, its clear he is part of future plans & has a strong chance of being invloved in the ODI side over here this summer.


    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Nobody put a knife to the Aussie squad's neck and demanded to rest their players. The fact that the top 6 of India remains constant shows a. How fit they are b. How consistent they are.
    You just said Indian players cant have have/ask for rest except for Dhoni & Tendy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    And plus, Australia did not miss 5 players of their core in any series. Don't talk out of your arse.
    Well i have already explained the crux of this point above. So hopefully when you reach here, you would have gotten the drift...


    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

    Averaging 36 at an abysmal SR of 70 since 2007 WC. His slow batting has ensured that the middle and lower order were put in huge pressure often more than not.
    I dont know where you got this madness from. Most likely you went of cricinfo etc & cherry picked a few games & came up with this idea.

    But again this is nonsense. He is averaging 36, his SR is down yea. But if you followed Clarke's ODI career along with the dynmaincs of the AUS ODI batting over the years, this really is crazyness.

    Clarke when he first started in ODI would come in @ 7 and be quite a clinical finisher, which lead to him getting a few early goes @ opening. This proved to be the detriment to his early test career though since that aggressive style lead to him being dropped.

    As he improved his test game, thus leading to a promotion to # 4 in the ODI side when Martyn retired. His ODI batting changed in the dynamincs of the ODI side with him being the the steady presence - but still freescoring around a top 7 consisting of Gilchrist, Hayden, Punter, Ryo, Hussey, Watson.

    This really is a baseless stats argument, because just recently in PAK. Clarke was scoring quite freely as Afridi & Ajmal was reguarly tied AUS batting down.

    So back to the original point about AUS batting competition. Clarke position has never been under threat.

  4. #1084
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Haha, its battyman BTW. Good effort though TT

    On Bracks. These stats are a bit misleading. The SA nullified his effect with the new-ball pretty well & a few times he was smoked in the death overs. But he held is own very well vs NZ & PAK.

    So overall no REAL evidence suggested that this was the startiing of bowling slump for Bracken. Just well played by SA for getting on top of him, given that AUS bowling was generally weakend over those 10 ODIs.


  5. #1085
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    FC cricket exists for a reason imho.

    Which is?

    And whatever F50 can do, T20 can also do imho.
    No way. Should SA pick Botha in their test side based on T20 performances, does Yuraj really deserved to be in the test side ahead of Badrinath due to his supet T20 batting, should WI pick Pollard, Dwayne Smith (if he still available) in their test side based on T20 batting, should Ojha be chosen over Misha based in test because of his recent T20 bowling. Damn i can go on and on...

  6. #1086
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Colonies
    Posts
    42,653
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    No way. Should SA pick Botha in their test side based on T20 performances, does Yuraj really deserved to be in the test side ahead of Badrinath due to his supet T20 batting, should WI pick Pollard, Dwayne Smith (if he still available) in their test side based on T20 batting, should Ojha be chosen over Misha based in test because of his recent T20 bowling. Damn i can go on and on...
    No, but what does that have to do with ODIs?

    They shouldn't be picked in Tests based on ODI performances either.
    ~ Cribbage

  7. #1087
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,826
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Haha, its battyman BTW. Good effort though TT

    On Bracks. These stats are a bit misleading. The SA nullified his effect with the new-ball pretty well & a few times he was smoked in the death overs. But he held is own very well vs NZ & PAK.

    So overall no REAL evidence suggested that this was the startiing of bowling slump for Bracken. Just well played by SA for getting on top of him, given that AUS bowling was generally weakend over those 10 ODIs.
    He wasn't out played in an one-off game against RSA. He was **** through a full series.

  8. #1088
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,826
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    No way. Should SA pick Botha in their test side based on T20 performances, does Yuraj really deserved to be in the test side ahead of Badrinath due to his supet T20 batting, should WI pick Pollard, Dwayne Smith (if he still available) in their test side based on T20 batting, should Ojha be chosen over Misha based in test because of his recent T20 bowling. Damn i can go on and on...
    Yuvraj should not be ANYWHERE near the test side atm.

  9. #1089
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    No, but what does that have to do with ODIs?

    They shouldn't be picked in Tests based on ODI performances either.
    Yea. But as Smith is saying ODIs should be abolished, thats doesn't really make sense. Although ODI form does not equal test success, outside ENG, AUS, SA other nations have poor to average FC competitions. So other than special talent, most selectors are generally tempted to pick players based on ODI form.

  10. #1090
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Colonies
    Posts
    42,653
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Yea. But as Smith is saying ODIs should be abolished, thats doesn't really make sense. Although ODI form does not equal test success, outside ENG, AUS, SA other nations have poor to average FC competitions. So other than special talent, most selectors are generally tempted to pick players based on ODI form.
    Well not that I'm actually in favour of abolishing ODIs, but if anything I think it'd be a good thing on this particular front, as it'd stop selectors from doing that. I think it's wrong and I'd be happy to see them not have the ability do so anymore.

  11. #1091
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    #7Thompson
    Posts
    47,128
    I think you can gauge some things from how a player performs in ODIs; temperament, basic ability etc. But we've seen time and time again mistakes made where players are picked for the long-form through being good at the short-form. Inclined to agree with EWS here.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  12. #1092
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Freakish. Considering the opposition, and the lower number of matches, nothing much to look into
    No, you're quite right. I suppose the point is that we have to watch each of them bowl and decide who is better. Ojha's a decent little tweaker, but Roelof's a fantastically canny bowler. He's often used in South Africa as a specialist death-bowler, and you can't imagine Ojha being used in such circumstances.

    Botha, on the other hand, has seriously improved over the past year or so, so it's not really fair to hold his career stats against him. Of course, it would be equally unfair to compare the vastly more experienced Botha to the promising Ojha, but if you were forced to, Botha's superior experience would always make him the guy I'd pick first.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  13. #1093
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    23,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    No, but what does that have to do with ODIs?

    They shouldn't be picked in Tests based on ODI performances either.
    The selectors have a tendency to give too much attention to ODI performances when picking the test side, but i think on this forum some people (Richard) go too far the other way. If you're smashing world-class attacks all over the pitch in ODIs it's pretty unusual that you'll not be up to scratch in tests.

    You've got to watch them play though. It's pretty blatant when a player is having success because his game is so well-suited to limited overs (Johann Botha, for example) but there's also a lot of players who do well in ODIs because they're ****ing good at cricket. Kevin Pietersen, for instance, had every right to be picked after his ODI performances in South Africa.

  14. #1094
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    22,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The selectors have a tendency to give too much attention to ODI performances when picking the test side, but i think on this forum some people (Richard) go too far the other way. If you're smashing world-class attacks all over the pitch in ODIs it's pretty unusual that you'll not be up to scratch in tests.

    You've got to watch them play though. It's pretty blatant when a player is having success because his game is so well-suited to limited overs (Johann Botha, for example) but there's also a lot of players who do well in ODIs because they're ****ing good at cricket. Kevin Pietersen, for instance, had every right to be picked after his ODI performances in South Africa.
    Yet England still didn't pick him against Bangladesh and were totally fooled by Ian Bell's easy runs. That said, they did pick him for the Ashes so they got that right. Ah well, no-one's perfect, especially selectors.

    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  15. #1095
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    As a lot of you have already said 177 against that SL attack is a good effort without our numero uno 20-20 batsman.

    The batting looks in good shape but Marshall has to go. Not only is he batting poorly at the moment but his fielding has regressed dramatically. Simmons will probably keep his place in the lineup. I am slightly worried about Shiv's 20-20 batting, he has looked terrible in his last couple of innings. He is the great man though so I would give him a chance against India on Friday (though I can't help but feel we missed out on a great opportunity to give a youngster like Darren Bravo some exposure by resting Shiv for this tournament). Sarwan didn't get the ball away too well today but he will come good and it doesn't get much tougher than having to score at 10/11 runs per over against Mendis and Murali.

    The bowling is ok even if Fiddy had an off day today but the fielding is simply unacceptable. We have a team full of athletes (everyone apart from Suliemann Benn and Sarwan can run very quickly and are pretty agile) so it can only be appalling concentration levels that are holding them back. Dyson has to light a fire up their backsides because they are in with a great shout of winning this tournament if they can just field adequately.
    Well said....

    Shiv is 34, after all, and maybe it's time for him to look at his future, and focus mainly on tests and ODIs. I believe he should leave 20/20s for the younger players....

Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236371727374 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Club Cricket Season XIV-XV
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 1002
    Last Post: 18-12-2009, 02:37 PM
  2. **Official** India In West Indies
    By dossa in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 275
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 03:00 PM
  3. Replies: 396
    Last Post: 21-09-2007, 05:58 AM
  4. Greatest west indian fast bowler of all time?
    By superwills in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 21-09-2007, 03:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •