Cricket Player Manager
Page 62 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Would be a poor excuse. And nothing that Ponting & Men did in the last 2 weeks suggested that they were in England for an early acclimatisation than participating in the T20. As four-or-six observed, Australia did consider this tournament seriously and did give their best, but the ones who gave were not the best really.
    Whilst there was definitely an argument to be made in 2007, saying Oz didnt care about this tournament is nothing more than a poor attempt at an excuse for losing and doesnt give credit where it's due - to WI and SL

Fact is that Oz picked the wrong team and were'nt good enough - END OF STORY

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Would be a poor excuse. And nothing that Ponting & Men did in the last 2 weeks suggested that they were in England for an early acclimatisation than participating in the T20. As four-or-six observed, Australia did consider this tournament seriously and did give their best, but the ones who gave were not the best really.
    That's true, but you have to wonder what their real purpose was when Ponting made the comments he did. If CA and the selectors were serious about this they would have sent the best Twenty20 team over. I don't know how they have been training in the lead up, so wouldn't know whether they've been using it as a chance at early acclimatisation or a serious build-up for the 20/20 WC.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Whilst there was definitely an argument to be made in 2007, saying Oz didnt care about this tournament is nothing more than a poor attempt at an excuse for losing and doesnt give credit where it's due - to WI and SL

They were also beaten by two better teams. They took a strange approach to it though, not so much the players as the selectors.

Banned

I don't think there is any disagreement between you and me on that, perhaps quoted the wrong post?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    That's true, but you have to wonder what their real purpose was when Ponting made the comments he did. If CA and the selectors were serious about this they would have sent the best Twenty20 team over. I don't know how they have been training in the lead up, so wouldn't know whether they've been using it as a chance at early acclimatisation or a serious build-up for the 20/20 WC.
    CA simply did not have a clue which was their best team. They sent in a team which they thought was Australia's best T20 team.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    I'd say ODIs have become boring and irrelevant and should be scrapped asap. This would solve the problems of player burnout while giving test cricket the window it needs.
    If you can't beat them, invent another game...?

I don't think there is any disagreement between you and me on that, perhaps quoted the wrong post?

Sorry mate, was actually agreeing with you but didnt communicate it well enough

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I don't think the main reason why people like Twenty20 is that Australia is no good at it. That's just an added bonus.

Banned
    Australia at this rate will have to. They have hardly won ODI series of late against quality opposition. And not as if they are invincibles anymore.

BTW stumbled upon this poor excuse for an article in cricinfo.com. While they have revamped the looks of the site, publishing of articles like this shows the editorial board needs to get a revamp as well. Pathetic really. Had someone posted this here, would have been shunted off labelled a troll.

http://www.cricinfo.com/wt20page2/co...ry/408110.html

Edit - Saw it was in the Cricinfo tabloid trash they call Page 2. Still....
    Last edited by Smith; 09-06-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Banned
    Sorry mate, was actually agreeing with you but didnt communicate it well enough
    Cheers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zabajk View Post
    This.

I just fear they will overdo Twenty20 like they did ODIs and make them lose their luster.
    To be fair, hardly any 20/20 internationals are being played....

For example, when England tour the Caribbean, they played five ODIs and just one 20/20. Every time a 20/20 is played in the Caribbean, it's sold out. And yet only one is played a year....

The only place where there is overkill is in the Indian and English domestic scene, which, quite frankly, is of little interest to fans outside of those countries.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    To be fair, hardly any 20/20 internationals are being played....

For example, when England tour the Caribbean, they played five ODIs and just one 20/20. Every time a 20/20 is played in the Caribbean, it's sold out. And yet only one is played a year....

The only place where there is overkill is in the Indian and English domestic scene, which, quite frankly, is of little interest to fans outside of those countries.
    One Twenty20 WC every non-ODI WC year is excessive, IMO.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Australia at this rate will have to. They have hardly won ODI series of late against quality opposition. And not as if they are invincibles anymore.
    Or you can work on the fundamentals and try to improve your game. Accept defeat to better teams and work to close the gap. Or play two-up

Really enjoyed last night in a perverse sort of way. Spent the entire day at work on two hours sleep which was horrible, but don't regret it. Was good to see Australia pay and Ponting's bemusement made it even better.

That said, aside from the bowlers, I thought Ponting was far and away the best batsmen for Aus last night. Started off a bit shaky, but he had the right idea in accelerating and I think he would have done well if not for missing that ball to Mendis.

The difference between the two sides last night was in a ridiculous shot by Dilshan where he pretty much ducked and scooped the ball over his head (maybe I was dreaming, lol), very innovative and impressive. Yet to see anything like that from an Aussie since Watto vs NZ at the ODI WC.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Page 62 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread Information