Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I'd be tempted to reinforce the batting, lots of bowling already there. Helluva team though. Migara for Sri Lankan selector.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

problem is we have only two big hitters (Jaya and Maharoof) and another one mid way (matthews). Unfortunately, Dilhara Lokuhetty has lost his form. This was a Symonds-esque guy who could clear a 80m boundry withe ease.

SL has to be flexible in theor batting line up.It's no point sending Jayawardane when only five overs are available. Maharoof should have the opportunity to play last 5-6 overs in SL innings.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I was just thinking about how I'm not sure Matthews fits into the lineup when Sangakkara, Jayawardene and to a lesser extent Dilshan are already covering the bases for the anchor role (though all can strike the ball). Roofers is a good option for same late over slogging but I can't see Angelo taking to the role with the same gusto.

Expecting big things from De Saram though.

The bowling (MMandM) pretty much secures 12 overs for 72-96 (6rpo-8rpo) expect them never to concede more than 100 between the 3 and if they get going they'll never even come close to it.

160 would be a very good score against Sri Lanka, and I'm pretty sure that these guys can chase it.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    What really should be Australia starting XI?. Still a big mystery i guess.

Presuming Watson can bowl, im leaning towards this XI:

Haddin
    Watson
    Ponting
    Symonds
    M Hussey
    Clarke
    D Hussey
    Hopes
    Johnson
    Lee
    Siddle

On evidence of the warm-ups, still believe this is how Australia should line-up. Hopefully Siddle being attacked vs NZ was nothing much, since having 3 90 mph bowlers againts the likes of India & SA will be a HUGE asset.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    On evidence of the warm-ups, still believe this is how Australia should line-up. Hopefully Siddle being attacked vs NZ was nothing much, since having 3 90 mph bowlers againts the likes of India & SA will be a HUGE asset.
    Hope not, in only that Hopes doesn't belong anywhere near the XI.

Would prefer Hauritz or Warner, but preferably Bracken.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpers_Ghost View Post
    Hope not, in only that Hopes doesn't belong anywhere near the XI.

Would prefer Hauritz or Warner, but preferably Bracken.
    Hopes bowling is a liabilty yea. But so would Hauritz in T20s. But with Watson's ability to bowl still up in the air, its safe to keep Hopes who gives solid batting @ 8.

Wont start Bracken in a 4-man pace attack. Johnson's batting in this format @ 8, had to be more decisive.

Good points, however I don't value as highly as you the importance of the number 8 batsman, if i did I'd play warner, move haddin to 8 and let Symonds/Dussey/Clarke/?Watson bowl more overs (have equal faith in their bowling as hopes).

I think that we would get more value out of that spot with a better bowler and bracken is the most likely. Aussie tail is pretty good and I think they could do a job ok on the rare occassion in 20-20 that their needed.

agree totally that this would be far more clearcut if Watson could be counted on to bowl.

cheers
    Last edited by Trumpers_Ghost; 02-06-2009 at 09:28 PM.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    I somehow feel Warner would be found out in this tournament. Bring on the spinners.

The danger men are going to be the two allrounders...

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    I was just thinking about how I'm not sure Matthews fits into the lineup when Sangakkara, Jayawardene and to a lesser extent Dilshan are already covering the bases for the anchor role (though all can strike the ball). Roofers is a good option for same late over slogging but I can't see Angelo taking to the role with the same gusto.

Expecting big things from De Saram though.

The bowling (MMandM) pretty much secures 12 overs for 72-96 (6rpo-8rpo) expect them never to concede more than 100 between the 3 and if they get going they'll never even come close to it.

160 would be a very good score against Sri Lanka, and I'm pretty sure that these guys can chase it.
    Just wish they give De sarem a fair go, in warm up match he batted 7. While Chamra silva and Muba are equal to de sarem i dont see them hitting big boundries as much as De sarem.

He has to bat at number 4 splitting sanga and mahela. I dont believe Sl can set any target above 160 though. Its good they have very good bowling line up.

The warmup match has showed inability of Jayasuriya to handle quick stuff in the face of his dwindling reflexes. Let Sangakkara and Dilshan open, the former technically most able against fast men, and infact loves them early on, and the latter with the sharpest reflexes. Jaya can bat against likes of Hopes, Hussey, Hauritz, Symonds et al. My playing XI would be,

Sangakkara, Dilshan, Saram, Jayasuriya, Jayawardane, Silva, Matthews, Kulasekara, Malinga, Murali and Mendis.

Banned
    The forecast is for a lot of rain on Saturday in London....

Is there any contingency for the match to be replayed on another day? Or would it be abandoned as a no-result and points shared?

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Oz will go out in round 1

They've picked a test side (supplemented by a few ringers) who'll have their eyes firmly set upon the Ashes and will will be gone before they knows what hit them
    I think the media in Australia are trying to pretend the tournament isn't even on. Have seen nothing but xx days till the ashes promos on fox sports. I presume they don't have the rights then...

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    The forecast is for a lot of rain on Saturday in London....

Is there any contingency for the match to be replayed on another day? Or would it be abandoned as a no-result and points shared?
    Noooo... I've been looking forward to this for the last year.

Edit: actually, forecast is for a couple of showers. Fingers crossed should be fine.
    Last edited by four_or_six; 04-06-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Symonds gone = Oz gone

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Symonds gone = Oz gone
    If they can get Hodge in and Clarke plays like he did in the warm-ups then we may have a chance.

However, CA are too stupid to do the former and the latter is unlikely (and will make me look very silly!)
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread Information