• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nannes would be playing for Australia if he'd been asked - only took the Dutch gig when that didn't happen I believe. Any of the spinners who have done well in domestic T20 would also have helped, along with Shane Harwood.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I hate Hauritz as much as the next guy as a Test option, but he's a perfectly acceptable one day bowler. He's barely played any Twenty20 cricket but I think his the way he bowls and his OD record would make him pretty well suited to it. I'd certainly rather have him in the team than Hopes.
Yea, but im not sure if he has the guile to be effective as Ojha, Harbhajan, Swann, Botha, VDM in this format. I really fear like Hopes his bowling will be targeted.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well they can't pick Glchrist, Hayden because they were made to retire, Symonds is sent home already . Apart from that the only Aussie IPL player that is missing from the team is Hodge. You are not telling me that Hodge is the missing piece here, are you ?
Of the players available, Hodge and Symonds should have been the first 2 names on the team sheet.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka to bowl first is a bit of a nightmare for Australia. Not only do they have to work out what is a good total for winning, but a good total for winning by enough.

Unless the best plan is to win and rely on the West Indies.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Of the players available, Hodge and Symonds should have been the first 2 names on the team sheet.
Symonds was picked, wasn't he ? And on what basis Hodge should have been the first one picked ? He had an average IPL until KR were virtually out of IPL.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well they can't pick Glchrist, Hayden because they were made to retire, Symonds is sent home already . Apart from that the only Aussie IPL player that is missing from the team is Hodge. You are not telling me that Hodge is the missing piece here, are you ?
Hodge, Marsh and Nannes immediately spring to mind, but it's not just the IPL - we also should have been picking players that did well in Australia domestically in the format ahead of players who have looked clueless in Twenty20 Internationals - like Clarke.

Frankly, I don't really care that much. I enjoy watching Twenty20 but the result really doesn't bother me either way. That the selectors probably have a similar attitude is the problem though.

inbox24

International Debutant
That's what I originally thought aussie, but definitely after seeing him play, he's several classes ahead of both Ponting and Clarke at T20s.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Hodge, Marsh and Nannes immediately spring to mind, but it's not just the IPL - we also should have been picking players that did well in Australia domestically in the format ahead of players who have looked clueless in Twenty20 Internationals - like Clarke.

Frankly, I don't really care that much. I enjoy watching Twenty20 but the result really doesn't bother me either way. That the selectors probably have a similar attitude is the problem though.
I thought Marsh was injured, Nannes is a 50-50 call.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So sick of hearing "YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

People complained about in-your-face advertising during the IPL, but **** me dead this is just as bad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Matthews looks a little better as a bowler than I expected/remembered from that ODI I saw him in. Certainly not an opening bowler and perhaps not quick enough to be a frontliner, but he has a really nice release and the action looks pretty repeatable.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sri Lanka to kick Australia's ass, the Irish to never send me that cheque for my losses that I emailed them about. :(