• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

Smith

Banned
tbf, many of us have consistently said that we don't like T20 for several years now. Used to have the T20 Is Boring Society in my sig, but took it out after deciding it was getting too long, and that it was unnecessarily argumentative.

In all seriousness though, Australia probably needs T20 less than any other country in cricket. Tests do very well here, as do ODIs. India was probably the other country with no obvious need to "enhance its appeal", and T20 was indeed not very popular there until they won the first World Championship with a team stacked with young, engaging players.

We play so much cricket, its a recipe for failure to try and play every match at 100%. You need to take some down time and give some key players a rest. We've done it before in the Champions Trophy, and I hope we continue to do it during these apparently bi-annual T20 World Championships, if it helps us prevent burnout in important formats.
The important format I hope is not limited to just the Ashes. Because the strategy has been working only lukewarm since the retirement of M & W

Smith

Banned
It's another perfectly good reason why they should have picked players who are good at T20 rather than burning out Clarke, Ponting, Hussey etc.
Agree 100%. Sounds a bit incongruent when on one hand some people say they hardly care for the format and should be used to breed new talent, and yet make the cream of the talent in other formats play the same.

Also, I believe Australia are looking backward by selecting Ponting, Clarke, Hussey etc. Ponting is class, agreed, but I believe he has become a tad aged to play in this format. Agreed, Mathew Hayden at 37 was all class in the IPL, but then, he is Mathew Hayden. Ponting is taking heavy workload for now as test and ODI captain, and prime batsman in both formats, and is leading Australia through a phase of tough transition. The guy must be given some breathing space, and be relieved of duties of T20 WC, if Australia is indeed thinking not too highly of the format.

Clarke is not a good T20 player. Period.

Hussey is an excellent player in all the formats. Perhaps the least deserving among the three to be given the pink slip from the T20 squad. But again, I feel he is more utility to Aus in tests and ODIs and is far too costly an option to be unduly risked in this format. But still I'd love to have him in the squad.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand Australia's reluctance to use spin bowlers, and understanding the type of spin bowler that works in Twenty20. The slower, loopier bowlers, who might bowl a bad ball or two, are actually better than your quick, "defensive" spinner who is easier to come down the deck and slog straight. Those half bad balls you can get away with because you have that protection that you don't necessarily have in Tests. Ref: Ojha.

Krezja should have been over in England.
I agree with that 100%. One of Heal, Krezja or Dorthery should have been over there. Clearly are the best Twenty20 bowlers in Australia outside Harwood, Nannes and Lee for mine. But it comes down to policy of only picking players they fell are capable of performing at all levels, unless they are a real x-factor like Warner. The sooner they start picking Twenty20 squads the sooner they might start winning matches regularly.

Briony

International Debutant
Lanka's recent problems have centred around batting in this format and they struggled in the warm-ups, especially against SA slumping to 7/44.

It's hard to understand why there's this group of death yet Bangladesh, Ireland and India are together.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Lanka's recent problems have centred around batting in this format and they struggled in the warm-ups, especially against SA slumping to 7/44.

It's hard to understand why there's this group of death yet Bangladesh, Ireland and India are together.
It is because of their position in the last T20 world cup.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain

Unfortunately, I don't think SL are going to make it out of this group. The Aussies will beat them fairly comfortably, then Gayle & Co. will finish the job.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Because WI were **** last WC, and the seeding process resulted in them having to cop SL and Aust.

pasag

RTDAS
I don't get the SL pessimism. Their brilliant bowling more than makes up for their lack of batting firepower and it's not like they're incompetent with the bat either.

Matt79

Global Moderator

Well group C had T20 numpties Australia in it, so that equals things up somewhat...

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I was just thinking of what possible scenarion could see they West Indies fail to qualify.

I think this is it:

Aus has big win over Sri Lanka (bigger than the loss the other night, but not by too much)

Sri Lanka then thrashes Windies by a rediculous amount.

Am I right with this scenario, or are windies already qualified?

:cool:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I was just thinking of what possible scenarion could see they West Indies fail to qualify.

I think this is it:

Aus has big win over Sri Lanka (bigger than the loss the other night, but not by too much)

Sri Lanka then thrashes Windies by a rediculous amount.

Am I right with this scenario, or are windies already qualified?

:cool:
Australia would need to beat Sri Lanka by a margin larger than what they lost to West Indies by.

Then Sri Lanka would need to decimate West Indies by a bigger score than that margin.

Soooo unlikely

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Check the current squad vs who even played IPL, let alone did well.
But the current squad is not under criticism here, everytime Australia lose a T20 game, we are told that Australia have to change their mentality about the T20 etc etc. If that is so then how come so many Aussies are doing so well in IPL ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It really seems AUS may be forced to pick Haurtiz on this surface....*sighs*
I hate Hauritz as much as the next guy as a Test option, but he's a perfectly acceptable one day bowler. He's barely played any Twenty20 cricket but I think his the way he bowls and his OD record would make him pretty well suited to it. I'd certainly rather have him in the team than Hopes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But the current squad is not under criticism here, everytime Australia lose a T20 game, we are told that Australia have to change their mentality about the T20 etc etc. If that is so then how come so many Aussies are doing so well in IPL ?
I think the point is that the selectors, coaching staff, senior players etc have to change their mentality; not every single player in the country. If the players that did well in the IPL were picked, no-one would be saying any of this.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
If the Aussies lose here Sri Lanka and WI go through but WI get the tougher group. If Sri Lanka loses then WI need to beat them or not lose badly to go through. We'd end up with the easier group then since it'd be Netherlands, Ireland and New Zealand. Semis well in prospect there.

'Mon the Aussies.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I think the point is that the selectors, coaching staff, senior players etc have to change their mentality; not every single player in the country. If the players that did well in the IPL were picked, no-one would be saying any of this.
Well they can't pick Glchrist, Hayden because they were made to retire, Symonds is sent home already . Apart from that the only Aussie IPL player that is missing from the team is Hodge. You are not telling me that Hodge is the missing piece here, are you ?