• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't think Ponting and co aren't taking this seriously enough. They're just not good enough. Full stop. And I could live with that far better than having a bunch that didn't care for the tournament, but had no qualms accepting payment for participation all the same.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh, definitely not. I'm not sure I've ever heard such booing at a cricket match as when Ponting came out to bat. I was actually quite surprised at how loud it was!
Good to hear, there's no room for sportsmanship at this time

Matt79

Global Moderator
Heh, love the 'we're **** because we don't really care' attitude being used as an explanation here. If they don't care, maybe they should try and catch up with the rest of the world sometime soon because this format no matter what the haters say is going to be a big part of cricket's future for a long time. Ludicrous attitude for a so called powerhouse cricket nation to be taking.
tbf, many of us have consistently said that we don't like T20 for several years now. Used to have the T20 Is Boring Society in my sig, but took it out after deciding it was getting too long, and that it was unnecessarily argumentative.

In all seriousness though, Australia probably needs T20 less than any other country in cricket. Tests do very well here, as do ODIs. India was probably the other country with no obvious need to "enhance its appeal", and T20 was indeed not very popular there until they won the first World Championship with a team stacked with young, engaging players.

We play so much cricket, its a recipe for failure to try and play every match at 100%. You need to take some down time and give some key players a rest. We've done it before in the Champions Trophy, and I hope we continue to do it during these apparently bi-annual T20 World Championships, if it helps us prevent burnout in important formats.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If Aussie players are not good at T20 Cricket then how come most of them have been the top performers in IPL ?

hammo666

Cricket Spectator
They need to beat SL and hope WI beat SL too, then the RRs won't count. I reckon Australia will do that, and storm into the finals. They have had poor starts in almost all the World cups, but rallied on when needed. They are champs not for nothing.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:Go Sri Lanka!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair, most of this Australian squad is a fair squad for the T20. And if they were in another group they would have had chance to get going, and I think if they were to get through to the next round they'd improve because they'd be getting more experience in the format. It's just bad luck they're in this group.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't understand Australia's reluctance to use spin bowlers, and understanding the type of spin bowler that works in Twenty20. The slower, loopier bowlers, who might bowl a bad ball or two, are actually better than your quick, "defensive" spinner who is easier to come down the deck and slog straight. Those half bad balls you can get away with because you have that protection that you don't necessarily have in Tests. Ref: Ojha.

Krezja should have been over in England.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
In all seriousness though, Australia probably needs T20 less than any other country in cricket. Tests do very well here, as do ODIs. India was probably the other country with no obvious need to "enhance its appeal", and T20 was indeed not very popular there until they won the first World Championship with a team stacked with young, engaging players.
Tests and ODI's do perfectly fine in the UK fwiw, although the spectators have to pay 4 or 5 times what they do in Australia.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf, many of us have consistently said that we don't like T20 for several years now. Used to have the T20 Is Boring Society in my sig, but took it out after deciding it was getting too long, and that it was unnecessarily argumentative.

We play so much cricket, its a recipe for failure to try and play every match at 100%. You need to take some down time and give some key players a rest. We've done it before in the Champions Trophy, and I hope we continue to do it during these apparently bi-annual T20 World Championships, if it helps us prevent burnout in important formats.
It's another perfectly good reason why they should have picked players who are good at T20 rather than burning out Clarke, Ponting, Hussey etc.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Hope Mendis does well. He has sort of faded away from the limelight after the India Srilanka test series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's another perfectly good reason why they should have picked players who are good at T20 rather than burning out Clarke, Ponting, Hussey etc.
Indeed. But I suspect they thought the fellas they've picked have done the job for them in ODIs and tests for a damn long time.
It's frustrating to some extent, but if we're going to be cod ordinary at one form of the game, I'd rather it be T20 than anything else.